You know you want to RATE THIS TEAM (WHIR, etc) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

You know you want to RATE THIS TEAM (WHIR, etc)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

You know you want to RATE THIS TEAM (WHIR, etc)

Postby Hey Hermano » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:59 pm

I'm a first-time fantasy player, help a brother out. I'm in a 12-team Yahoo! roto H2H league, mixed league, with a whole mess of categories (12x13?) and it has 2 extra IF spots but only 3 OFs. It's not really thing to be taken too seriously.

Hitting categories: R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, OBP, BB, SB%, SB-CS, HBP, GIDP, grand slams
Pitching categories: W, K, ERA, SV, WHIP, H, R, HR, BB, shutouts, no-hitters, perfect games

Yeah, it's pretty weird.

The team (6th pick):
C: John Baker (WW)
1B: Miguel Cabrera (1)
2B: Robinson Cano (8)
SS: Troy Tulowitzki (6)
3B: Evan Longoria (2)
IF: Edwin Encarnacion (WW)
IF: Marco Scutaro (WW)
Util: Nate McLouth (5)
OF: Jacoby Ellsbury (WW)
OF: Torii Hunter (9)
OF: Andre Ethier (11)
BN: Pat Burrell (13)
DL: Brian McCann (4)

SP: Jake Peavy (3)
SP: Felix Hernandez (7)
P: Zack Greinke (12)
P: John Danks (14)
P: Erik Bedard (15)
P: Wandy Rodriguez (17)
P: Gil Meche (19)
P: Paul Maholm (22)
RP: Jonathan Broxton (10)
RP: Chad Qualls (16)

As you can probably tell, I got thrown by the 2 extra IF slot thing and got stuck with Giambi and Scutaro in the late rounds. Should I look for an upgrade there? I'm kind of "ehhh" on Paul Maholm, as well.

Also, I was offered Javier Vazquez for Zack Greinke this morning. I turned it down.

Thanks my dudes.

UPDATES: Picked up Edwin Encarnacion and Tacoby Bellsbury (!!!) off of waivers, dropped Giambi, and Fred Lewis. Picked up John Baker to fill in for Brian McCann, dropped Joe Saunders. Trying to trade Burrell for James Loney, we'll see if that works out.

Is there a better fill-in option for McCann than Baker? Pierzynski, Ramon Hernandez, John Buck, and Kurt Suzuki are free agents.
Last edited by Hey Hermano on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:12 am, edited 10 times in total.
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: You know you want to RATE THIS TEAM (WHIR, etc)

Postby TheMadHungarian » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:12 pm

I'll bite

I like your offense a lot although Scuttaro won't keep up his hot hitting. I like Giambi, especially since you're playing with OBP.

Your pitching can use some help. Maholm's pitching well now but I'm not sure how long he'll keep it up. I'm not a big Wandy fan either. His home/road splits are a little wacky. I think you can use another arm. Maybe you can use an outfielder as trade bait for a middle of the road starter.

Good move not trading Grienke. Kid is sick! Been trying to trade for him but his owner isn't biting.

As a side note, I'm really put off by leagues that count too many stats. Too much to think about and many of the stats are sort of redundant. Also what's with leagues that count fluky things like perfect games and cycles??? Too random a category to really count I think. That's just my .02 though. Good luck!
TheMadHungarian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hey Hermano » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:50 pm

Oh man, I forgot I also had Erik Bedard. EDITED!

How's my pitching look now?
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheMadHungarian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:28 pm

Nice! I like Bedard a lot this year as a value pick in the middle/late rounds. So far so good. He looks healthy and he's in a walk year so it looks like he's gunning for that big paycheck.

Do me a favor and take a look at my squad a let me know what you think: viewtopic.php?t=379606
TheMadHungarian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hey Hermano » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks! It was either Bedard or Jered Weaver in the 14th round or whatever of my draft, and even though I had Weaver ranked just ahead of Bedard, I had to go with the upside and the ace potential. As a Yankee fan, I remember Bedard shredding through AL East lineups when he was the Orioles' ace.

Also, Edwin Encarnacion just came up on the waiver wire and he's easily the best IF available. As waivers in my league take two days to clear, I'm thinking about leaving Scutaro in my lineup for the week to reap any benefits from his hot start, then drop him for Encarnacion. This strategy, is it a good thing?
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby baseballfreak3135 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 am

I like it. Solid hitting, pretty good SP. Need some RP, I'd trade some hitting for it personally.
baseballfreak3135
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Hit Factory » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 am

Hey bro, I like your team a lot. I got thrown by the middle infielders in my league also, however I got lucky and grabbed Aaron Hill off the WW (originally had Casilla,) at the start of the season and I drafted Mike Jacobs late in the draft. Giambi is serviceable and should be fine but I agree with a previous poster who said that Scutaro will not keep this up, look to make an upgrade for sure. Someone mentioned that your pitching was shaky, I am not sure how they could say that, it looks pretty damn good to me lol, and i'm glad you turned down Vazquez for Greinke def a bad trade for you. We all know Peavy and Felix are rock solid starters, but the trifecta of Bedard-Greinke-Danks does it for me! That is tremendous and i'm sure you stole Bedard late in the draft so good job with that. Your closers are really nice also and don't worry about Maholm. At this point you are playing with house money, if he does well great, if not its def not the end of the world for you since you are stacked with 5 other terrific starters.
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:34 pm

That's a pretty solid team for a 12 team league with extra IFs.

Torii Hunter always ends up on my teams every year. Seems like he goes awfully late for a guy who's pretty much been a guarantee at 20/20, and closer to 30/30. Yea he's getting older, but I'll still take that.

Your pitching, IMO, is pretty nasty. I mean, I always find it a lot more fun to fish for starters in the middle->end of the draft, rather than use 4 of my first 10 picks on pitching like a lot of people do. I love Greinke and Felix, obviously, but I'm really high on Wandy this year. I grabbed him towards the end of almost every draft.

I'm not one to trade for Saves either. I'll just grab some setup guys off of waivers when it looks like someone's losing their job.

Thanks.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Papelbon Fire » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:01 pm

I am in agreement with the MH, I think you may be able to package some pitchers together to get a front end of the rotation guy. Saunders and Bedard are good, but not that good. And I'm sure you know how Peavy can fluctuate. He's good when he's good but he's not consistent. Felix is also good for 12-15 wins, but you can also expect him to get 10-12 losses for the season too. I would try to package something for #2 or 3 starter.
"A-Rod booed for confusing Yankees fans."
Papelbon Fire
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hey Hermano » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks. Fortunately, my league doesn't count losses, so if King Felix has as many wins as losses, it doesn't bother me. I drafted Saunders and Maholm for depth only. Anything I get out of them is a bonus.
Last edited by Hey Hermano on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team