McCann, blurred vision - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

McCann, blurred vision

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: McCann, blurred vision

Postby wildbill » Fri May 01, 2009 6:35 pm

From Rotowire via ESPN:
McCann (eye) will no longer use contact lenses and will instead try to play while wearing glasses, the Associated Press reports.
Spin:
McCann tried wearing contacts on his rehab assignment at High-A Myrtle Beach and despite positive initial results, has abandoned that strategy, calling it a temporary fix. "[My eyes] would go right back to being dry again," McCann said. He will try to wearing glasses, but if those prove problematic, surgery is his next option.

And if surgery doesn't work he's going to try a seeing eye dog specially trained to bark when he should swing. :-D
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B-Chad » Fri May 01, 2009 7:17 pm

How long would McCann be held out if he had surgery? Any ideas? I was always under the impression from those I know who have had Lasik surgery that they were good to go in about a week (though I'm not sure if the surgery would just be Lasik again or another procedure, and obviously my friends aren't Major League Catchers... or little league catchers for that matter :-b )
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri May 01, 2009 10:08 pm

i dont like what im seeing written from McCann from rotoworld.com
Brian McCann (eye) will give prescription glasses a try in an effort to correct the blurred vision in his left eye.
A variety of contact lenses haven't worked thus far. The glasses will look like Oakleys, rather than the Rickey Vaughn glasses he was hoping for. This is a last ditch effort to avoid another LASIK surgery, an operation that McCann underwent after the 2007 season. If surgery becomes a necessity, the catcher said he wouldn't undergo it until after the season and just play through the issues. Once the glasses arrive, sometime this weekend, he will try them out at Triple-A Gwinnett.

even if the glasses dont work, he wouldnt have surgery again until AFTER the season? why would he wait? if they effect him to where he cant see the ball hes going to be useless. if its a couple week procedure why wait so long?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby coma » Thu May 07, 2009 11:44 pm

Any word on how the glasses worked out for him today? Can we expect him back tomorrow?
coma
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby schmidty » Fri May 08, 2009 2:10 am

coma wrote:Any word on how the glasses worked out for him today? Can we expect him back tomorrow?

1-for-3 with an rbi double, 2 lineouts (1 of which needed a great diving play to rob him of a second hit), and a walk. Here's the story from mlb.com

By Guy Curtright / Special to MLB.com

05/07/09 10:27 PM ET

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. -- After a frustrating couple of weeks, Brian McCann seems to have finally overcome the vision issues that have been plaguing him.

McCann hit an RBI double in the first inning of a successful injury rehab with Triple-A Gwinnett on Thursday night and will rejoin the Atlanta Braves in Philadelphia on Friday for the start of a weekend series.

"I'm pretty sure I'll be in the starting lineup, ready to go," said McCann, who is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list before the game. "I'm excited to get back and join the team. I think everything is going to go great."

McCann, who had Lasik surgery two years ago, began to have blurred vision in his left eye shortly after the start of the season and was in a 1-for-20 slump when he was placed on the DL on April 25.

It was thought that contact lenses would clear up the problem, but they caused irritation and dryness. After having trouble at the plate during two rehab games with Class A Myrtle Beach last week, it was decided that wearing glasses was needed.

"We tried about a million things," McCann said.

Special prescription Oakley sports glasses were ordered late last week, but the correct glasses didn't arrive until about 1 p.m. Thursday. Five hours later, McCann was in the lineup for Gwinnett's International League game against Syracuse.

On the fifth pitch he faced in the first inning, McCann lashed a double down the right-field line for Gwinnett's first run in a 4-0 victory. He was intentionally walked in the third inning, robbed of a hit on a diving stop by Syracuse first baseman Brad Eldred in the fifth and lined out to right field in the seventh.

"It went good," McCann said.

Catching with the glasses under his new hockey-style mask proved to be a little bit of a challenge, although he did throw out former Atlanta teammate Pete Orr trying to steal second base in the third inning and also made a tag play for an out at the plate.

McCann, who wasn't sure if he needed the glasses to catch, caught with them on during the first two innings, took them off for the next six and then put them back on in the ninth.

"I tried to catch without the glasses there for a little bit," McCann said. "I'm going to have to come up with something where I catch and don't let them fog up while I hit.

"I'm not used to taking the mask on and off. I kind of smeared the lens. I was going to try to go the rest of the game without wearing them. But I'm probably going to have to wear them when I catch."

A second pair of glasses is supposed to arrive next week, allowing McCann to switch his glasses out during a game.

"It's been hard, very frustrating," McCann said. "But I think everything is taken care of now. I feel really good about it."
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri May 08, 2009 2:59 am

wildbill wrote:From Rotowire via ESPN:
McCann (eye) will no longer use contact lenses and will instead try to play while wearing glasses, the Associated Press reports.
Spin:
McCann tried wearing contacts on his rehab assignment at High-A Myrtle Beach and despite positive initial results, has abandoned that strategy, calling it a temporary fix. "[My eyes] would go right back to being dry again," McCann said. He will try to wearing glasses, but if those prove problematic, surgery is his next option.

And if surgery doesn't work he's going to try a seeing eye dog specially trained to bark when he should swing. :-D

LOL
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby coma » Fri May 08, 2009 3:01 am

Thanks Schmidty! That sounds pretty promising. Can't wait to get him back in my lineup!
coma
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri May 08, 2009 3:47 am

Now the real question is whether his eyewear is going to be more like Chris Sabo's safety goggles or Reggie Jackson's Aviators...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AdvRider » Fri May 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:So McCann has a future as a MLB Umpire? ;-)

:-B :-D :-b ;-) :-] ;-D
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates