McCann, blurred vision - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

McCann, blurred vision

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

McCann, blurred vision

Postby hwiggen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 pm

CBS is reporting that Brian McCann is experiencing blurred vision in his left eye.
Does anyone know if this will cause him to miss significant time?
It sounds like he may have had lasik surgery previously and it wasn't entirely successful although I may be reading between the lines here.
I'm thinking about benching him next week...any insight from those in the know would be appreciated.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: McCann, blurred vision

Postby djack909 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:31 am

As an optometrist. I would say that doesn't look good for him. My guess is that he was undercorrected on the left eye. In order to have good depth perception you need good vision in both eyes. The best result for him is that he needs a contact lenses on the left eye.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:54 am

Has anyone gone on the DL before because of botched lasik surgery? Kind of reminds me of an episode of "The King of Queens". Doug gets Carrie lasik surgery as a gift. But instead of sending her to a good surgeon that her boss recommends, he sends her to the cheapest one because he had their "2 eyes for the price of 1" coupon. Needless to say, the surgery didn't turn out too well. Though it couldn't have been too bad ... her eyesight was fine by the next episode :-D

If you have to set weekly lineups, it's a really risky play. It sounds like anything could happen with McCann, from the problem being fixed in a day to him playing and sucking all week to him landing on the DL. I don't think there's any good information out there ... I don't think even the Braves and McCann really know themselves.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wildbill » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:57 pm

schmidty wrote:Has anyone gone on the DL before because of botched lasik surgery? Kind of reminds me of an episode of "The King of Queens". Doug gets Carrie lasik surgery as a gift. But instead of sending her to a good surgeon that her boss recommends, he sends her to the cheapest one because he had their "2 eyes for the price of 1" coupon. Needless to say, the surgery didn't turn out too well. Though it couldn't have been too bad ... her eyesight was fine by the next episode :-D

If you have to set weekly lineups, it's a really risky play. It sounds like anything could happen with McCann, from the problem being fixed in a day to him playing and sucking all week to him landing on the DL. I don't think there's any good information out there ... I don't think even the Braves and McCann really know themselves.

He had the surgery after the 2007 season so explain to me how he put up the stats he did last year if it was a botched surgery? I'm not an expert in lasik so I'm asking out of curiosity. You'd think if it was botched this would have happened last year. Anyone know?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm

well i'm not sure if he was supposed to have that doctor's visit in the morning or what. haven't seen any reports on the exam or mccann status but he is NOT in tonight's lineup, but the whole east coast is being hit hard with rain so it may be precautionary considering the weather. hope we can have an update some time tonight.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Now they're saying he's got an appointment tomorrow morning with another eye doctor. I benched him in a weekly league, for (gulp), Gerald Laird. It was between him and Varitek, and it looks like I guessed WRONG!! From what I read Sunday night, it sounded like he would probably need another lasik procedure done.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:58 pm

if he has to have another lasik eye surgery what type of time would he miss? are we talking a couple weeks and he could be good to go? or are we talking a couple months?
ive heard of lasik eye surgery but have no idea what it does.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby Homoudont » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:06 pm

From what I understand if he has lasik surgery he'd be back after the 15 day DL stint. But another Lasik surgery is probably the last resort. He may just have a contact on his left eye, and have the surgery done in the offseason.
Homoudont
College Coach
College Coach

Postby siQ_innovation » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:42 am

I'm getting scared.. :,-(

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 am

McCann was reportedly using one of those sticks to get around and also spotted at a training facility for seeing eye dogs. :~(
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates