HR fan interference in NY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HR fan interference in NY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: HR fan interference in NY

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:01 pm

mweir145 wrote:The ball was going over the wall, IMO, so I interpreted it as a HR.

This was essentially the simplest way I could interpret it, as well. The ball was going over the wall.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:02 pm

No interference shall be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk. However, should a spectator reach out on the playing field side of such fence, railing or rope, and plainly prevent the fielder from catching the ball, then the batsman should be called out for the spectator’s interference. Example: Runner on third base, one out and a batter hits a fly ball deep to the outfield (fair or foul). Spectator clearly interferes with the outfielder attempting to catch the fly ball. Umpire calls the batter out for spectator interference. Ball is dead at the time of the call. Umpire decides that because of the distance the ball was hit, the runner on third base would have scored after the catch if the fielder had caught the ball which was interfered with, therefore, the runner is permitted to score. This might not be the case if such fly ball was interfered with a short distance from home plate.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Yeah, the umpires interpreted it as the outfielder reaching over the fence for the ball, and not the other way around. I think they made the right call.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:05 pm

by weir's post, it was interference. but the REPLAY rules might have an impossibly high standard. the fan's glove was a foot and a half into the field of play.

if there were no fans or fielders involved at all, it would have been a HR, but i seriously doubt that is a major part of the consideration.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:51 pm

That ball was going over the fence and there isn't really any doubt in my mind. I have seen the play from several angles and in none of them did Crowe have a chance of catching the ball, and besides that I don't think the fans hands were into the playing territory. If you want clear fan interference check out Jeter's ALCS HR in 96 against the O's. If you believe that in intereference that the hitter should be out, what if when the Indians hit a homerun a Yankee fan reached and caught it? Do the umpires need to determine fan alliance along with their replay calls?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Not sure if MLB uses the NFL criteria of reversing replay calls(It has to be irrefutable evidence or something along those lines) but by that standard alone it should be a HR .I saw this play in a variety of angles & the following seem to occur:

1)Guy in what I think was a green hat (left of the screen I believe) seem to reach over interfering w/ the play-Fan Interference

2)The RF(Crowe?) went over the wall, ball bounced off a fan(not green hat guy),other fan in green hat tried to grab the bounce,he botched it & ball went onto the field-Homerun.

3) The ball seemed to hit the top of the wall( I thought this) ricocheted in the stands both butcherboys couldn't come up with it & ball went to the field-Groundrule Double.

Again, this was how I saw things others may have seen the same,others may have seen other scenarios. You'd think after the Jeffrey Maier Baltimore playoff series the new stadium would have been designed to avoid this situation but I guess not.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:43 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 399)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers