Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Pitching advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching advice

Postby uhhhjboy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:43 pm

First time fantasy manager; 10 teams, H2H, 4 moves a week:

C - V. Martinez
1B - N. Swisher
2B - B. Phillips (Picking up Hudson next week and benching phillips)
3B - K. Youkillis
SS - M. Scutaro
OF - G. Sizemore
OF - C. Quentin
OF - C. Hart
UT - R. Ibanez
BN - R. Martin
BN - J. Rollins

SP - C. Volstad, AJ Burnett, B. Myers, S. Kazmir, A. Galarraga
RP - M. Capps, O. Dotel
BN - BJ Ryan
DL - J. Lackey

I'm lacking in the RP pretty bad right now. I've decided to pretty much punt Saves since every closer is picked up and I don't want to lose any offense just for saves. I'm benching Ryan until he pulls his stuff together. I was thinking of packaging Martin (no cut list because I missed the first two rounds of the draft ><) with either Volstad or Galarraga for slightly better pitcher to a team that has only Ianetta at C and a plethora of SP.

My offense pounded this week, pitching seems to be a weak spot. I picked up Purcey for the Oak game and blew my era and k/9. I want to get Wandy but I don't trust the Astros.

Notable pitchers on the wire: H. Street, J. Maine, J. Jurrjens, J. Hanrahan, M. Lindstrom, F. Carmona, O. Perez, W. Rodriguez, S. Downs, J. Frasor, K. Davies, R. Soriano, R. Bellisario, Anibal Sanchez*

*Love his control. Marlins pitching looks hot so far.

Any thoughts?
uhhhjboy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching advice

Postby Hey Hermano » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Are you sure every closer is picked up in a 10-team league?

I have Wandy on my team and he delivered yesterday with 7 shutout IP and 10 Ks. Jurrjens and Maine also look good off the waiver wire.

Do you really need to carry two top-tier catchers in V-Mart and Martin? Maybe see what kind of pitching help you can get for one of those two. It looks like you're riding the hot hand in starting Swisher and Scutaro, so see what you can get for Scutaro once his value is high enough (maybe both Scutaro and one of your catchers), because keeping Rollins on your bench is kind of ridiculous.
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby uhhhjboy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:03 pm

I don't need both catchers. I was thinking of setting up a trade with Martin in a 2 for 1 for a SP / RP. I like Martinez a little more, and Martin's swing is off right now. Not sure how they'll end up by the end of the season.

I'm straight up dropping swisher this week for Wandy. I like Wandy, but I don't trust the astros. I don't know if anyone in my league would trade for Scutaro, but the changes to his stance since Cito took over look good. I'm gonna start Rollins later this week. Hopefully he goes better than 4/18 this week though.

Lindstrom is still around, be he seems risky. Would it be better to punt saves and stack SP and Relievers?
uhhhjboy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheMadHungarian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 pm

I'd drop Ryan for Lidstrom and just roll a revolving door at RP through out the year. I don't put much stock in closers. I'd rather have SP's and potent offense. A trade involving Martin + another guy for an upgrade in your rotation sounds good.

If you drop Swisher and trade Martinez who would you have play 1B?

of those guys you mention, I like Maine (I'm biased as a Met fan however) but he's not yet shown that he's back to his 2007 form after coming the injury last season. Sanchez is nice but his injury history scares me a bit too. Wandy's pitching well so far, so maybe he's worth a shot.
TheMadHungarian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby uhhhjboy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 am

Yea. After some more reading I decided to avoid Sanchez for right now. I've always liked Maine. I just wish he'd walk fewer batters.

I've always liked Lindstrom, but he seems a little shaky right now. Shoulder injuries aren't great for power pitchers like Lindy. Im gonna take a second look at his numbers, versus Ryan. I might just drop him for Lindstrom, better than not starting BJ Ryan worried he'll blow a save and inflate my WHIP / ERA

EDIT: Ryan's FIP is 7+ !!! Lindstrom is at 2.59, he just needs a little better defense behind him, plus is HR/9 is TINY. Definitely making the switch.

Without Swish and if I traded V Mart I'd be moving Youkillis to first, and then for now have Scutaro playing 3B.
uhhhjboy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hey Hermano » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:36 am

What are you going to do at 3B when Scutaro's production inevitably drops off a cliff?

Oh, also my team is here: viewtopic.php?t=379613
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team