Cheap Source of Steals - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cheap Source of Steals

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cheap Source of Steals

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:35 am

Endy Chavez anyone? In deep leagues, I'm feeling that this guy could be a real cheap steal source. He hit 18/35 this spring, and while hes obviously not going to maintain this high of an average, it seems he could go for 30 to 40 SB if he plays the whole year, with a decent avg (maybe 280ish). Problem is, will he play? Seattle has Griffey, Balentien, Gutierrez, and Ichiro. Who sits between Chavez, Guiterrez, and Balentien on a given night. Will it be an even split, giving Chavez about 5 games a week. And is it possible that Chavez could go .280 avg/35 SB. This would make for a pretty good 3rd or 4th OF in deeper (14 or so) team leagues, right?
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cheap Source of Steals

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:26 am

As things stand the same as they are, then yes, but they won't so I doubt he has much future value. He'll likely be used similarly to how he was used in New York as a pinch runner/defensive replacement when everyone on Seattle is healthy. Also, I think Clement and prospect Michael Saunders get extended time in the majors this year which cuts his piece of the pie up to a small sliver.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:05 am

Nothing is more frustrating than a platoon guy who only helps in one category. You play him on a day he doesn't start, he pinch hits and gets 1 AB so he removes one of your games played and gets nothing. If I'm looking at a cheap steals guy, I want someone who's likely getting full-time play.

Jason Batlett is owned in less than 40% of leagues and seems to be running quite a bit this year. Could provide 30+ steals from SS.

Also, keep an eye on the White Sox CF situation. Both players there have speed, so if either Owens or Anderson wins the job and plays full-time they could provide some decent steals.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby CadensDad » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:18 am

I'd say he can get some bags but only in real deep leagues is he worth a pick

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Baseball Leftovers