Kevin Millwood off to hawt start, but........... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kevin Millwood off to hawt start, but...........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kevin Millwood off to hawt start, but...........

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:59 pm

Ender wrote:I wouldn't worry about his pitch counts that much, I'd be more worried that he isn't a very good pitcher and he is pitching in an extreme hitters park with a bad defense behind him.

I disagree, I think he's very usable (if Texas aren't grinding him into the ground with high pitch counts).
Obviously I'd never start him against NYY/BOS, but against everyone else in the AL he has the skills to give you a chance.
He's sort of Pettitte-esque. :-?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Millwood is mediocore....and I don't think 112,111,113 is "griving him into the ground". This is a big build, veteren pitcher and if he was at 103,105,104 you probably wouldn't hear much about it but since its a whole 6-7 pitches more its a big deal? I still don't think a "consistant" 110 pitches is too bad....its when one week someone goes 90 pitches and then the next week he goes 122 that I start to worry(the inconsistancy). But if Millwoods arm and stamina is set up for 110 or so then I'm not worried. What I am worried about is Millwood being a mediocore pitcher in a launching pad.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:13 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Why the ____ does he have to pitch consecutive starts of 113, 112 and 111 pitches?

Using a SP as injury prone as Millwood like this is a little stupid (if you use 105+ as the danger zone like I do).

Today he could have been stopped at 100 or less, as the Rangers were behind 2-0. Who gets glory from a complete game loss?
His next start is either @ Bal or @ Tor, I think he could either have a fatigue-inspired meltdown that game, or (hopefully) be pulled after 80-90 pitches.

Wow.
116 pitches today vs Toronto.
He has now gone 113,112,111,116. Again pitching the unnecessary 7th inning when he's behind by 2.
This old-timey thinking is doing my head in.
They obviously don't understand the equation Kevin Millwood + fully fit = results. !+)

WTF is going on here?
121 pitches vs Oakland?

113,112,111,116,121 consecutively.

The alleged grinding into dust continues !+)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Not all pitches are created equal so somewhat hard to be bothered by it. As an example Maholm who threw 112 pitches yesterday was much more abused than Millwood who threw 121. Maholm had thrown 100 pitches through 5 innings and the majority of his pitches thrown were with runners on so were high stress. 9 fewer pitches in over 2 fewer innings with a lot more runners on. The number needs a context behind it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:56 pm

Ender wrote:Not all pitches are created equal so somewhat hard to be bothered by it. As an example Maholm who threw 112 pitches yesterday was much more abused than Millwood who threw 121. Maholm had thrown 100 pitches through 5 innings and the majority of his pitches thrown were with runners on so were high stress. 9 fewer pitches in over 2 fewer innings with a lot more runners on. The number needs a context behind it.

Millwood did have 12+ baserunners for this latest start, so they would have been reasonably high stress.
He was throwing his "danger zone" pitches in the 8th with the score tied - that's probably as high stressed as you can get in April :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RenPastana » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Nolan is gonna get his money's worth out of his washed up pitchers...aka padilla and milwood...as someone mentioned previously, Nolan wants those two pitchers to go deeper into the games, mainly bc they will be free agents either this yr or next yr...or perhaps he's looking to trade them which would give the Rangers a lot of dough to work with in the offseason...

In any case, expect to see more of high pitch count outings from those two duds...
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers