Looking ahead at Strasburg in Yahoo leagues... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looking ahead at Strasburg in Yahoo leagues...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Looking ahead at Strasburg in Yahoo leagues...

Postby bigken117 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:36 am

mak1277 wrote:First...he is DEFINITELY getting a major league contract. There's no way he signs without one. Boras got one for Alvarez last year, and Strasburg will get one. That's not the problem. The problem is MLB.

MLB won't allow teams to announce above-slot signings before the August 15 deadline. With that being the case, there is no way the Nats, or any other team, will let him pitch after taking 2 months off. They'll sign him late and put him on the shelf until the fall leagues or next spring.

I want to see him in the bigs as much as anyone, but I really think it will be next year.

What he said.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:32 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Uh that makes no sense whatsoever. If he does sign then most likely he will sign an MLB contract which guarantees him a call up in September.

Makes sense to me. I doubt he gets a for sure MLB contract (ala Andrew Miller) unless that'll knock a few million off his signing bonus. I wouldn't give it to him as it'll only start his arb clock early and since the Nationals (1st pick) are going to be in contention this year, why waste it. Price didn't get a a MLB contract as I don't think he pitched at all in the minors after signing and pitched in the Arizona Fall League as his 1st pro experience.

First...he is DEFINITELY getting a major league contract. There's no way he signs without one. Boras got one for Alvarez last year, and Strasburg will get one. That's not the problem. The problem is MLB.

MLB won't allow teams to announce above-slot signings before the August 15 deadline. With that being the case, there is no way the Nats, or any other team, will let him pitch after taking 2 months off. They'll sign him late and put him on the shelf until the fall leagues or next spring.

I want to see him in the bigs as much as anyone, but I really think it will be next year.

I believe that a major league contract puts you on the 40-man roster and not on the 25 man roster. Therefore, Strasburg can get a MLB deal but not see time in the majors unless its written in his contract like it was for Andrew Miller. Again, it'd be dumb to let him pitch this year if I were the Nationals.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby dragoon » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:48 pm

I can't see him pitching this year, but I'll put a claim in no matter what if they put him in Yahoo ;-D
dragoon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:20 am

I just hope Yahoo! doesn't do a feature article on him because I'm selfish
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby gws226 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:12 am

Yahoo has been a little unpredictable regarding adding players to the database in the past. A few examples have already been mentioned. After a few snafu's in 07 (Braun, Lincecum and Gallardo all randomly FA) then 08 (MadMax, Kershaw, Price all waivers), but Votto and Bruce not our commish got an answer from the Yahoo team.

I can[t find it in my email.... but here is roughly what it said.

New players are added to the Yahoo database in SP IF there is a concensus (by whom, no idea) there is a high probability of player opening the year on the 25 man roster... for example: Jay Bruce in 08, and Wieters/Hanson/Zimmerman in 09. There is some-sort of cutoff date involved if I remember correctly.

If the player is not added to the yahoo database before the cutoff date, he is then only added once he is called up to the majors, and then his position is assigned based on (again assumption by Yahoo) what position he will most likely be playing at the MLB level. For example, Yahoo consider Clement a DH in 08, and James McDonald an RP upon his callup.

So you shouldn't see strasburg mysteriously/randomly added this year... he should go on waivers when he is called up in 09.

They also added a new league setting this year that overrides the "ST probability rule" so players are only added to the leagues database when the players actually makes the major league roster. If this rule is enabled by the GM, Wieters, Hanson and Zimmerman were not available on draft day. At least its consistant
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby carter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:34 am

he'll never live up to this hype %-6
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:53 am

carter wrote:he'll never live up to this hype %-6

I agree.
What he is doing is amazing, don't get me wrong. But he will need quite a bit of polish to be ready for Big League hitters. It will be interesting to see how well this guy does, in 2 to 3 years from now.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:46 am

Hilarious thread ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:48 am

gws226 wrote:So you shouldn't see strasburg mysteriously/randomly added this year... he should go on waivers when he is called up in 09.

They also added a new league setting this year that overrides the "ST probability rule" so players are only added to the leagues database when the players actually makes the major league roster. If this rule is enabled by the GM, Wieters, Hanson and Zimmerman were not available on draft day. At least its consistant

There are multiple threads here on the Cafe where I've addressed this subject. In particular, what you're saying here is not necessarily true. With the new league setting you've mentioned, we have more flexibility to add players when there is interest, whether or not they've been promoted. I don't know if I'd call it mysterious or random, but if the powers that be decide Strasburg is sufficiently interesting, he could show up mid-season. Leagues that are horrified by that idea could have chosen to use the new league setting.

And no, I don't know if and/or when he'd be added.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 am

Havok1517 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Makes sense to me. I doubt he gets a for sure MLB contract (ala Andrew Miller) unless that'll knock a few million off his signing bonus. I wouldn't give it to him as it'll only start his arb clock early and since the Nationals (1st pick) are going to be in contention this year, why waste it. Price didn't get a a MLB contract as I don't think he pitched at all in the minors after signing and pitched in the Arizona Fall League as his 1st pro experience.

First...he is DEFINITELY getting a major league contract. There's no way he signs without one. Boras got one for Alvarez last year, and Strasburg will get one. That's not the problem. The problem is MLB.

I believe that a major league contract puts you on the 40-man roster and not on the 25 man roster. Therefore, Strasburg can get a MLB deal but not see time in the majors unless its written in his contract like it was for Andrew Miller. Again, it'd be dumb to let him pitch this year if I were the Nationals.

I would be absolutely shocked if he didn't get an MLB contract.

FWIW, Andrew Miller pitched in 8 MLB games in the year he was drafted. I can see Strasburg doing the same for the Nats especially if they are in contention.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers