Looking ahead at Strasburg in Yahoo leagues... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looking ahead at Strasburg in Yahoo leagues...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking ahead at Strasburg in Yahoo leagues...

Postby B-Chad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:24 pm

This is kind of a question directed at the Genie, or anyone who's read/heard how Yahoo! will handle anyone not in the database currently for the remainder of the season, namely Strasburg. Obviously Strasburg isn't in the player pool because he's a college pitcher, but the consensus is, he will be drafted by the Nats number 1 overall, and is a rare one of a kind prospect. Getting all the introductions and formalities out of the way, what will Yahoo do in terms of entering him in the player pool. Will he be forced onto waivers when the he's drafted, or will Yahoo! wait until he makes his first major league appearance? Obviously Yahoo! made a concerted effort to get big prospects (and more prospects) in the player pool coming into draft season this year, but what now? Will he be dropped into the player pool at some random time like Braun/Votto/Gallardo a few years ago or will it take an appearance like Cueto last year? Any help and/or insight would be greatly appreciated. If there is a better forum for this, by all means move my thread, but being that it's not really a trade/keeper question, or a player update, I felt Leftovers would be most suitable, thanks again.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking ahead at Strasburg in Yahoo leagues...

Postby nate128 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Not sure what they'll do, but I would assume that he'll be playing in September if he signs somewhere and therefore hit the database.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:56 pm

He's not going to be playing at all this year, his agent is Scott Boras.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:He's not going to be playing at all this year, his agent is Scott Boras.

Uh that makes no sense whatsoever. If he does sign then most likely he will sign an MLB contract which guarantees him a call up in September.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Yeah, he'll have to be signed and called up for him to be added to the database this season. Price was signed but wasn't called up and then was added to the database at the start of last season. But I don't think Strasburg will be added until/if he plays in the majors this and as another poster said, Boras may postpone that. My guess, he'll be added at the start of next season.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 125)

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:13 pm

I heard Yahoo is adding a spacial league just for him. There will be H2H, Rotisserie, Points and then Strasburg league types to chose from.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:15 pm

Yoda wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:He's not going to be playing at all this year, his agent is Scott Boras.

Uh that makes no sense whatsoever. If he does sign then most likely he will sign an MLB contract which guarantees him a call up in September.

Makes sense to me. I doubt he gets a for sure MLB contract (ala Andrew Miller) unless that'll knock a few million off his signing bonus. I wouldn't give it to him as it'll only start his arb clock early and since the Nationals (1st pick) are going to be in contention this year, why waste it. Price didn't get a a MLB contract as I don't think he pitched at all in the minors after signing and pitched in the Arizona Fall League as his 1st pro experience.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 125)

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Personally, I do not see him pitching at all in the majors this season.

IF he does, then I agree with Yoda, he may get 2-4 starts at the end of the year.

Be patient! :-L :-L :-L
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby B-Chad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Personally I hope he doesn't get the call, and isn't added to the database as I'll have "0" shot at getting him. The owner in my league has stated he won't use the waiver claim on anyone else, so here is one guy keeping his fingers crossed he's not added to the database this year :-b
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mak1277 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:12 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Makes sense to me. I doubt he gets a for sure MLB contract (ala Andrew Miller) unless that'll knock a few million off his signing bonus. I wouldn't give it to him as it'll only start his arb clock early and since the Nationals (1st pick) are going to be in contention this year, why waste it. Price didn't get a a MLB contract as I don't think he pitched at all in the minors after signing and pitched in the Arizona Fall League as his 1st pro experience.

First...he is DEFINITELY getting a major league contract. There's no way he signs without one. Boras got one for Alvarez last year, and Strasburg will get one. That's not the problem. The problem is MLB.

MLB won't allow teams to announce above-slot signings before the August 15 deadline. With that being the case, there is no way the Nats, or any other team, will let him pitch after taking 2 months off. They'll sign him late and put him on the shelf until the fall leagues or next spring.

I want to see him in the bigs as much as anyone, but I really think it will be next year.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers