Calling Mr. Hughes? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calling Mr. Hughes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Calling Mr. Hughes?

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:38 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Wang can't be sent down, if Baseball Tonight is correct. They just said he's out of options, which means he has to work out whatever is wrong with him up in the majors.

Or they put him on the DL, which I think is likely.

I think the best-case scenario for the Yankees is a DL stint for Wang with Hughes getting a shot at the rotation while he's gone.

Give Hughes a taste and let Wang figure out how to pitch again, then return Wang to the rotation and finally realize Joba is way more valuable in set-up than he is pitching every five starts on his innings leash.

Makes sense, Yankees.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm

I knew someone would eventually call for this to lead to Joba going to the bullpen. :-b

How is Joba pitching 80 innings in the bullpen less restricted than him pitching 150 innings in the rotation? :-?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:10 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I knew someone would eventually call for this to lead to Joba going to the bullpen. :-b

How is Joba pitching 80 innings in the bullpen less restricted than him pitching 150 innings in the rotation? :-?

I think the Yankees win more ballgames using Joba in key leverage sitations in the 7th and 8th to bridge to Mo than they do with him in the rotation, particularly since he is probably going to be going 5-6 innings most starts and the Yanks middle relief is so suspect.

I know Joba wants to start, but it should be about what's best for the team. Hughes as fifth starter, Joba in relief is what is best to me.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:27 pm

duckbillgates wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:I knew someone would eventually call for this to lead to Joba going to the bullpen. :-b

I think the Yankees win more ballgames using Joba in key leverage sitations in the 7th and 8th to bridge to Mo than they do with him in the rotation, particularly since he is probably going to be going 5-6 innings most starts and the Yanks middle relief is so suspect.

I know Joba wants to start, but it should be about what's best for the team. Hughes as fifth starter, Joba in relief is what is best to me.

Bruney has been great as the set-up man this year. They have Mark Melancon who should be a stud reliever and come up sometime over the summer. They've got Dave Robertson with a great curve who came up once this year already. The Yankees have a lot of bullpen arms that will sort themselves out. Using a pitcher of Chamberlain's pedigree in the bullpen is a tremendous waste of his talent. The only way he is ever going to end up in the bullpen is if he has enough arm trouble that the Yankees decide he can't handle 200 innings a year.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:27 pm

duckbillgates wrote:

I don't think that Joba's availability to pitch the 7th and 8th really matters when the other starters are giving up 12 runs in an inning.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:47 pm

I mentioned in the Trade Forum that the Yanks should DL Wang to see if something is wrong physically or to rule out that there is an injury. As was correctly pointed out earlier Wang can not be sent to the minors. The Yankees need to either DL him or demote Steven Jackson(reliever) & make Wang the long reliever till he sorts out his issues(assuming they are not physical) & bring up Phil Hughes to start Friday vs Boston(Wang's next start).
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:48 am

I really hope Wang starts against Boston...

Maybe Big Papi can get out of this slump.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CharlatanSin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:11 am

rookies and cream wrote:On the radio yesterday, they were speculating that they would just skip Wang's next turn in the rotation, given the extra day off. I haven't looked at the schedule though, so I'm not sure this is accurate.

This is definitely the most likely scenario. They'll take the extra time to try to work out his kinks. If he falters again, then it'll probably be a DL stint and Phil Phranchise will get a chance to show what he's got.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:53 pm

From LoHud Yankees Blog:
UPDATE, 3:41 p.m.: Nardi Contreras just told reporters in Tampa that Wang needs more arm strength and that is sinker is not consistent enough.

I don’t know what injury they’ll claim he has, but every indication is that Wang will be on the DL sometime soon.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:59 pm

sort of thread hijacking

can anybody just be DLed at any time? can you DL a player just bc he is sucking to free up roster space...even if no injury is there?

it seems like players are put on teh DL all the time with no real injury. does nobody police this?
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers