Calling Mr. Hughes? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calling Mr. Hughes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Calling Mr. Hughes?

Postby B-Chad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Sure, this is a bit premature, but this is two miserable starts for Wang, and two solid AAA starts for Hughes. Is Hughes the likely first choice if Wang continues to falter? Given the Yankees tendency to be impatient, what does everyone think?
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Calling Mr. Hughes?

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Yes and I don't really think it's that premature. I think Wang will be on the DL or in the minors tomorrow.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Amazinz wrote:Yes and I don't really think it's that premature. I think Wang will be on the DL or in the minors tomorrow.

This is exactly what 4 of my best friends who are Yankee fanatics feel as well. Hughes pitched yesterday, so it should work out just fine.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby neoforce » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:59 pm

I don't think Wong will go on the DL, but the minors is a real probability. Clearly something is wrong, but it seems mental/mechanical, not injury related. It was bizarre watching Giraldi and Jeter giving him a pep talk on the mound before they took him out.

He clearly isn't a top of the line #1 starter (see all of the old debate here on the cafe) but he is a solid pitcher and the Yankees need him. Hopefully the minors gives him a chance to get it back. I can't imagine that he won't be back, but you never know. The Majors is full of guys who just lost it mentally. But I hope not in this case!
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Yep. Hughes should be pitching in Wang's place next time through the rotation. It's not premature, he has been awful for 3 starts. It's not like they're dropping him to the waiver wire though. They know he's a very good MLB pitcher, he just needs to go down out work out his problems. I wouldn't expect him to spend more than 2 or 3 starts down there. It's not some major problem where he has been figured out by MLB hitters and needs to re-create himself. His arm is lagging behind his body and leaving the ball up. It should be a relatively easy problem to fix, the guy hasn't pitched for almost an entire year you have to remember.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ndkarp » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Any thoughts on when they would announce whether he is going to get the next start?
ndkarp
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jfg » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:22 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:Yep. Hughes should be pitching in Wang's place next time through the rotation. It's not premature, he has been awful for 3 starts. It's not like they're dropping him to the waiver wire though. They know he's a very good MLB pitcher, he just needs to go down out work out his problems. I wouldn't expect him to spend more than 2 or 3 starts down there. It's not some major problem where he has been figured out by MLB hitters and needs to re-create himself. His arm is lagging behind his body and leaving the ball up. It should be a relatively easy problem to fix, the guy hasn't pitched for almost an entire year you have to remember.

Yeah, that's the feeling I get too. I'd love to drop Kawakami for Hughes right now but I don't think Hughes will be starting in the majors in a month.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:12 pm

Calling up Hughes seems like a near certainty.

The big question is if he pitches well, will he keep a spot in the rotation?

Yanks seem committed to Joba in the starting rotation, and if there is not anything physically wrong with Wang, I think he gets his rotation spot back once he fixes whatever is mechcanically/mentally wrong.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby jbauer2485 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Hughes is definitely coming up. Not only did Wang have little break or control, but his fastballs were hitting 88-89 when they would typically be up to 94-95. Something must be wrong with him.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm

I gave Hughes an add ... on the team where I owned and started Wang all 3 times.

Who knows how long it will take Wang to figure it out, Kei Igawa is like CC Sabathia compared to him right now.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers