WHIP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHIP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: WHIP

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:29 am

I agree that the way that ERA is counted is really the biggest joke. I saw D-Lowe pitching a few years ago and in the 2nd inning, a fielder loses the ball in the lights and so the inning continues. D-Lowe continues to give up something like 8 straight hits/walks, allowing 7 runs. His ERA the next day in the box score? 0.00.

IMO, if a fielder fails to make the 3rd out, the runs scored off of that hit, that were on base at the time of that hit, and the hitter who got on base via error, should not be counted. But anyone who comes up to bat after that should definitely factor in.

Also, it's a little bit arbitrary that if a pitcher records an out, records an out, there's an error allowing a hit and then there's 7 runs is an ERA of 0 but if a pitcher records an out, there's an error allowing a hit, the pitcher records an out, and then there's 7 runs after that the pitcher is on the hook for most of them in the second case but none of them in the first.

Our league does actually use RAA in lieu of ERA for scoring. I can't say that I really love it, but it is generally more accurate.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers