Baltimore O's pitching... or lack thereof... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baltimore O's pitching... or lack thereof...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baltimore O's pitching... or lack thereof...

Postby B-Chad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 am

Given how good the O's offense seems to be, and how bad their pitching has been, any chance any of their big three starters comes up before roster expansion in September? I see Tillman is starting in AAA, Arrieta in AA and Matusz in A+, so I'd imagine Tillman is the closest to a call, but any chance more then one of them gets a call this year? Short term and then long term how should they be viewed for fantasy purposes (BA has them ranked Tillman, Matusz then Arrieta, but that obviously being from a strictly "real" baseball perspective)? Tillman's numbers last year were very good, and I wouldn't say he's completely flying below the radar given anyone worth their salt in deeper leagues knows who he is, but he's certainly getting much less press then the other young stud prospect starters in AAA to start the year, Price and Hanson, and could have the easiest path. Any chance Tillman gets the call before the All-Star break and proves to be useful in 12 team or larger mixed leagues? Thanks!
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Baltimore O's pitching... or lack thereof...

Postby The Mighty Trow » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:34 am

I can't really speak to when these youngsters will be called up, but I have to wonder if the Orioles won't play it safe to lock them up for the long term, a la Wieters. I'm sure they would. If that's the case, then I wonder if he won't get called up till the end of the season...

Regardless, if some of these pitchers pan out, the O's will be in good shape a few years from now ;-D
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby baseballrich » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:50 am

Don't forget Troy Patton - he missed last year with arm problems but looked good in the spring and so far in AA Bowie he is 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA, 0.82 WHIP and 9k's in 11IP
baseballrich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nemyar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:38 am

Guthrie wasn't anywhere near as bad as his line looked tonight. Uehara seems pretty solid. But that does still leave 3 holes in the rotation -- maybe two if Hill comes along quickly. I'd expect some call-ups to fill out the back end of the rotation, especially if Eaton pitches like Eaton tomorrow, but it would probably be guys like Bergeson or Waters.

Everything I've heard from MacPhail indicates that they're going to take it slow with the young, high-upside pitching prospects. I don't really expect to see any of them rushed to the big leagues this year.
Nemyar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:59 am

Tillman, Matusz and Arrieta all look like they could be special someday but that seems like it won't be for at least 3 more years. Until then it seems like the O's pitching will remain to be awful.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby B-Chad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:57 am

Yeah I imagine Hill will have a bit of a leash, and I read that he threw and had decent control and velocity, but as has been stated, that still leaves two openings. Being that Matusz and Arrieta are in A+ and AA don't really expect to see either this year, but why not take a look at Tillman in say June/July if he dominates AAA? I think in the O's ideal world, Hill comes back to resembling the guy he was 2 years ago and leap frogs Guthrie, Tillman dominates AAA until June/July and they call him up to get an audition and start his acclimation to the Majors this year. That leaves 3 of 5 spots filled. They obviously signed Uehera to start and he was decent in his first outting, I see no reason why for the remainder of this season he couldn't remain in the O's starting 5. I'd imagine they'd like to see Arrietta reach AAA and follow the Tillman path next year, and Matusz in AA by seasons end. I just don't see where 3 years comes from Masterx unless you mean 3 years before they are special. Maybe 3 years for Matusz, but Matusz is the oldest of the bunch, so I really think they'll put him on the fast track if he's able to handle the steep learning curve that comes with motoring through a farm system from high A to AAA.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers