Waiver players that every owner should be watching ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver players that every owner should be watching ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Waiver players that every owner should be watching ...

Postby Warpigs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:19 am

Tis wrote:
Havok1517 wrote: Also, you can't promote your own website here I don't think.

He does it a couple times a week, a post thats blatantly attempting to generate hits for his site, without really any content here for people to respond to. I was assuming, since nobody had commented and he seems to get away with it, that he had some sort of permission to do so...

Dude,

I've been a part of the cafe for well over half a decade. I posted alongside a lot of the founders of this site. Let me be the first to tell you that I would never do anything to infringe upon the cafe in that way. Yes, a friend and I started a website of our own called chinstrap ninjas. The stuff I write is posted there now instead of primarily at the cafe. When I ask for feedback from here, I am doing it solely because I would like some feedback on a topic/post that I wrote, and I know the members here are knowledgeable enough to give me a solid answer and cover the topic globally. I have always promoted the cafe in every venture I complete -- from the weekly fantasy football columns I write for the newspaper I work at (numerous references to the cafe) to chinstrapninjas (if you read the posts there, many of them sing the cafe's praises and there's even a link at the top of our site's home page to the cafe).

I can paste the text of my posts entirely here if it suits everyone. The last thing I want is anyone questioning my motives -- especially when it comes to my long-time allegiance to the cafe.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warpigs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:28 am

Ender wrote:
Holein1 wrote:I would put a guy like dexter fowler on that list. He is a low percentage owned in most leagues...and by the all star break he will be a full time player.

He is very fitting for the list. i wouldn't touch him in my shallow leagues but in the deeper league I own him and every week I have to decide if he is worth keeping or should i go with a lower upside guy who can help me now.

He is one guy that I planned on doing a secondary article on touching on deeper sleepers to watch. Defintely has a ton of talent and potential.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Warpigs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:39 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Yeah, you can't use the guys named there as helpful waiver adds for most people because the league is too shallow to have all of those guys available. I think taking waiver adds for people in 16 team leagues or 10-12 team AL/NL only is more useful for people who post here, the deeper leagues that are owned by less than 5% of Yahoo owners.

Yet, how many people actually play in 16-team leagues or 10-12 team AL-NL only leagues? I do know a decent amount, but the majority of fantasy baseball owners play in standard 12-team roto or H2H leagues with standard scoring and bench spots. The league we're in is a little shallow in bench spots, but consider some of these stats:

Andrus is currently owned in just 18 percent of all Yahoo fantasy leagues.
Fukudome is owned in just 36 percent (meaning he's available in over 60 percent of the leagues.
Shafer is owned in 31 percent.
Griffey is owned in 18 percent.
Hafner and Hudson are owned in closer to 50 percent of leagues. That means, on average, about one in two or one in three readers of my post have a shot at picking up any of these players -- for most, the average is much higher.

As I said in a response a few minutes ago, I will have a deeper sleeper post in the coming days that cover guys more likely to be available to the people who play in much deeper leagues.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:38 am

Nice article. ;-D

To be honest, I would have picked up Fukudome without thinking. I have him in 2 leagues and love his production so far, that 2 spot in the Cubs line-up is absolutely perfect for him. :-L

I had Dukes on and off last year, and the way he performed in between and with injuries was great, but I don't believe he'll hit more then .260 if last year's contact % is anything to go by.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:50 am

I like the color scheme of your website. ;-D

I'm in two 12 team leagues and a 16 team league...one of my 12 team leagues is a little deeper than the other.

In the deeper 12-teamer just Andrus is available, though he just cleared waivers after being dropped.
In my 16 teamer, just Griffey is available.
In the other 12-teamer, Griffey and Andrus are available.

Fowler would be a good addition...Spilborghs might not be a well known commodity outside of the cafe. I'm keeping an eye on Willingham with Milledge's demotion, though he's still only the fourth OF. Casey Blake has a few HRs and has been decent after a 1/13 start. Rolen has been producing although it's likely a mirage.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jcde7ago » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:52 am

It's a good list, but for most Cafe-ers, it's probably not as helpful as it would be to other readers of your site. In my 12-team keeper league with deep bench spots, everyone on that list is gone, with the exception of Griffey. I'll keep on the lookout though for your future posts. ;-D
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers