Waiver players that every owner should be watching ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver players that every owner should be watching ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Waiver players that every owner should be watching ...

Postby Warpigs » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 pm

In an experts league with some venerable cafe talent, I noticed that there was some really good talent on the waiver wire. If this is the case with an 'experts' league such as this, than I'm sure many of these players are available in your leagues, too. Check out the post at http://www.chinstrapninjas.com-- it's right at the top. I'd love to hear what you have to say. Hopefully it helps you better assess your own waiver wire needs??
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Waiver players that every owner should be watching ...

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:43 pm

None of those players are on the waiver wire of any of my leagues except Griffey in one of them.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Warpigs wrote:In an experts league with some venerable cafe talent, I noticed that there was some really good talent on the waiver wire. If this is the case with an 'experts' league such as this, than I'm sure many of these players are available in your leagues, too. Check out the post at http://www.chinstrapninjas.com-- it's right at the top. I'd love to hear what you have to say. Hopefully it helps you better assess your own waiver wire needs??

I think you're a pretty good writer but you kinda don't give usable info. Most educated leagues will hardly have any of these guys available and if they are then you're probably in the wrong league. Go much much deeper instead of kinda going with obvious guys. Also, you can't promote your own website here I don't think.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Yeah, you can't use the guys named there as helpful waiver adds for most people because the league is too shallow to have all of those guys available. I think taking waiver adds for people in 16 team leagues or 10-12 team AL/NL only is more useful for people who post here, the deeper leagues that are owned by less than 5% of Yahoo owners.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Tavish » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Going with the sentiment, the league you are using as an example is extremely shallow. It why I just took complete fliers with my last 5 picks since there is going to be a ton of talent available that wouldn't be in a normal depth league.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Mortician » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:23 pm

the only one that's owned in my expert league is andrus. 12 team h2h 25 man rosters
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby B-Chad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:23 pm

Don't mean to be a wet blanket but I believe Griffey is the only player not owned in my 12 team mixed league. Schafer has been on one roster, cut and back on another roster. He may be back on waivers, but in all honesty, given his trouble against lefties last year, and the fact he hasn't had to make adjustments yet, he should probably be unowned. In fact, I owned Griffey for a few days, so literally everyone on that list has been drafted, added and is or was owned at one point. I do like where you mind is at though, so lets keep the thread going... I've got a name to watch, Ian Snell. The early season numbers are ugly. His first start skews that, and I'm encouraged by some of his underlyers. I see a lot of talk about Maholm and Zach Duke who's opened up the season quite hot, but I'll say I like Snell's ceiling most, and think he could post the best numbers of the bunch. I think Snell will be considerably more valuable in leagues that go beyond 5x5 standard cats.

I'm not saying race out to the waiver wire and add him, but I like to see all the ground ball outs he's racked up. I also think that he is capable of ironing out his control issues, and posting a BB/9 more similar to his productive '07 season. His K-rate is solid, and his fluky BABIP from last year almost certainly will come down. I think one of Snell's biggest problems last year was that he was coming off a season in which he threw a ton of innings, and it may have had an impact on his overall stats last year, namely his poor control. If he's capable of reducing his walk rate, sees a reduction in his BABIP to a more tolerable .300-.310 range, and keep up his K-rate I could see a cheap source of 10-12 wins, a 3.90-4.20 ERA with a 1.30-1.35 WHIP and say 180 K's in 200+ innings pitched. The key is keeping his walks in check, his GB % in the 45% range and having a little bit of luck with his BABIP and HR/FB rate. Kind of a stab in the dark, but a guy I'm willing to keep an eye on.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tis » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:47 pm

Havok1517 wrote: Also, you can't promote your own website here I don't think.

He does it a couple times a week, a post thats blatantly attempting to generate hits for his site, without really any content here for people to respond to. I was assuming, since nobody had commented and he seems to get away with it, that he had some sort of permission to do so...
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Holein1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:56 pm

I would put a guy like dexter fowler on that list. He is a low percentage owned in most leagues...and by the all star break he will be a full time player.
Holein1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:58 pm

Holein1 wrote:I would put a guy like dexter fowler on that list. He is a low percentage owned in most leagues...and by the all star break he will be a full time player.

He is very fitting for the list. i wouldn't touch him in my shallow leagues but in the deeper league I own him and every week I have to decide if he is worth keeping or should i go with a lower upside guy who can help me now.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers