Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Matt Wieters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Wieters

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:56 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
Padres Fan wrote:
AllDay wrote:
I guess somebody forgot to tell them that Scott Boras is his agent and he is blocking his call-up to the majors. :-S

Agred thats why he won't get called up until after the June Abritration deadline...I wish there was a way to Ban Scott Boras he is everything that is wrong with baseball.

Players loading up on roids the calling him as a agent to get 20 mil a year.

the lowest price for a family of 4 to go to a ballpark for one game is $125 in Arizona

Don't go or find tickets on craigslist. I won't pay money to the team to see the team. I'd rather buy the tickets cheap on Craigslist the day of for cheap.

WTF
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AllDay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:31 am

I'm curious on this Boras thing.

Does the late call-up only apply to Wieters - or is this something that is applied to EVERY Boras client?

It sure didn't seem to stop Rick Porcello from getting a season opening rotation spot. Josh Fields also broke camp with the big club.

How exactly does on apply this 'Scott Boras means a delayed call up' angle, anyways?
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:25 am

AllDay wrote:I'm curious on this Boras thing.

Does the late call-up only apply to Wieters - or is this something that is applied to EVERY Boras client?

It sure didn't seem to stop Rick Porcello from getting a season opening rotation spot. Josh Fields also broke camp with the big club.

How exactly does on apply this 'Scott Boras means a delayed call up' angle, anyways?

Its means that the O's are cheap and know they are non contenders as they rebuild for the future. Both the Chisox and Tigers are trying to contend so that is why both Porcello and Fields are with the clubs, plus Fields has been a regular for 3 years now. If you seen the recent abritration with Rayn Howard and Cole Hamels and the got scary amounts and don't have a real major league contract yet (they are still under minor league options). Boras is wieters agent so if he is called up prior to the June abritration deadline then he will be abritration eligible in 2011 and probably ask for 10-15 mil a year until he is a free agent, if the O's delay until 2012, if buys time to build a respectiful team that will bring in fans to afford Wieters.

Also this season will hurt many teams sine we are in a economic bind, we might not see it this year but it woill affect the next 1 or 2 seasons, hell the Yankees can't even sell out the new Stadium.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AllDay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:51 pm

Well that is strange, because the O's made a number of offseason moves - apparently in an attempt to compete.

I also read beat writers covering the team and other fantasy sites - and none of them ever mention this 'Scott Boras is delaying Matt Wieters' call-up angle.

It seems like it is a silly myth being perpetuated by a few Cafe members only. Which would lead me to believe it is complete BS.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby OnceinDC2\1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:13 pm

AllDay wrote:Well that is strange, because the O's made a number of offseason moves - apparently in an attempt to compete.

I also read beat writers covering the team and other fantasy sites - and none of them ever mention this 'Scott Boras is delaying Matt Wieters' call-up angle.

It seems like it is a silly myth being perpetuated by a few Cafe members only. Which would lead me to believe it is complete BS.

Why would Boras even attempt to do that? This argument is beyond absurd. First of all, Scott Boras does not run the Orioles front office. Secondly, wouldn't he PUSH to get him called up so that his service clock starts ticking immediately, making Wieters eligible for free-agency sooner so that Boras can cash in on a new, large contract? This is just total nonsense, whoever perpetuated this rumor has no idea what they are talking about.
OnceinDC2\1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wildbill » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:59 pm

AllDay wrote:Well that is strange, because the O's made a number of offseason moves - apparently in an attempt to compete.

Like making Adam Eaton one of their SP? They did nothing to make their starting rotation remotely competitive over the course of a full season. How is the team going to compete with a rotation like theirs?

AllDay wrote:I also read beat writers covering the team and other fantasy sites - and none of them ever mention this 'Scott Boras is delaying Matt Wieters' call-up angle.

Now I'm confused I only skimmed previous posts, but I would have thought the argument would have been his call up was delayed because Boras is his agent. In other words the team would delay his call up to limit how much Boras could get for Wieters. I would agree it would make no sense for Boras to want the delay, but is that what someone was really arguing?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Padres Fan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:49 pm

I was just stating that General Managers do not like dealing with Scott Boras, Boras extorts major leagues club and fills his clients heads full of greed, i.e Manny Ramirez playing dead for Boston and letting his team mates down so he can try to get a fat contract (glad that backfired on him). Also he screwed the Braves over on the Furcal deal. So there are speculative reasoning on why the O's haven't called up Wieters or made inclination when they will. Also remember they were in the Teixeira sweepstakes, since he is from Maryland but Boras told him that it would be a bad idead to play there, lol and now the Yankees suck worsr than last year.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bogey9906 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Padres Fan wrote:I was just stating that General Managers do not like dealing with Scott Boras, Boras extorts major leagues club and fills his clients heads full of greed, i.e Manny Ramirez playing dead for Boston and letting his team mates down so he can try to get a fat contract (glad that backfired on him). Also he screwed the Braves over on the Furcal deal. So there are speculative reasoning on why the O's haven't called up Wieters or made inclination when they will. Also remember they were in the Teixeira sweepstakes, since he is from Maryland but Boras told him that it would be a bad idead to play there, lol and now the Yankees suck worsr than last year.

FYI, Boras has nothing to do with Furcal or the Braves deal. Furcal's agent is Arn Tellem.

Also, Boras has nothing to do with the timing of Wieters' callup, IMO.
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:04 am

Boras is really no worse than the other mega-agents. He's just the most outspoken and has the most high profile clients. If he (and his kind) weren't 'ruining' baseball as you call it then owners would be pocketing all of that extra cash and charging the same prices that they are right now.

Regarding Wieters - I don't think his super-2 arb is a huge blockage to his being called up. It's a factor but they have delayed his FA by one year by not putting him on the opening day roster which is the bigger gain for the O's. Right now he needs to get healthy and continue/start to produce. It's possible that he is left in AAA for a little extended time (1/2 the season?) since a number of those pitchers will be moving up to the O's next season though.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Lsquad » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:00 pm

It is a pretty interesting situation. I think super two is probably a factor. If you can potentally save a year of arbitration elegability, why wouldn't you keep him down an extra month?, particuarly since the O's have not shot this year. After the super two deadline though, I'm sure he'll be up in short order, for a number or reasons. Beyond the fan buzz and ticket sales angle, I'd imagine the O's want to get wieters some ML experiance, particuarly with regards to calling and managing a game, especially since they have some young arms who's devlopment will be key to becoming competitive in 2011-12. It behooves the organization to get Wieters as much major league experiance as posible ahead of the young pitchers, while at the same time, locking him up as cheaply as posible in order to build a posible challenger to the AL east title 2-3 years from now. A core of Wieters, Guthrie, Markakis, and Jones, along with young arms like Chris Tillman and Jake Arrieta, suplimented by free agents, could be dangerous (assuming a great many things go right).
Lsquad
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates