Finished Yahoo draft in exactly 1 hour!! What do you think?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Finished Yahoo draft in exactly 1 hour!! What do you think??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Finished Yahoo draft in exactly 1 hour!! What do you think??

Postby fantasy_gamer » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:02 am

12 teams. Where should I upgrade??

C - Victor Martinez
1B - Sweeney
2B - Durham
SS - Reyes
3b - Blalock
OF - Huff
OF - Crawford
OF - Gibbons
Util - Ensberg
Util - Teixeira
Bench Drew
Bench M.Cabrera
Bench D.Erstad
Bench R.Castro

SP - Prior
SP - Pedro
RP - B.Wagner
RP - A.Benitez
P - Beckett
P - O.Perez
P - D.Graves
Bench J.Weaver
Bench J.Affledt
Bench K.Benson

I'd like to get another SP because Graves probably isn't needed (at least to start), you guys think much of Weaver/Affledt/Benson for 2004?? Should I stay put or what moves should I make???

My wire: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... 30/players
Not much significantly better than my bench SP's IMO there, perhaps you think differently however!
fantasy_gamer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Zito is God » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:13 am

Honestly? This is a terrible team. You hitting is plain horrid (except for Sweeney who is a huge sleeper).

Pedro,Prior,Wagner are the only stars you have (assuming Beckett doesn't repeat WS performance). Its bad, sorry.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chiefscards » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:31 am

Zito is God wrote:Honestly? This is a terrible team. You hitting is plain horrid (except for Sweeney who is a huge sleeper).

Pedro,Prior,Wagner are the only stars you have (assuming Beckett doesn't repeat WS performance). Its bad, sorry.

Sorry to say, but I agree. Looks like you gambled on too many young guys. I'd look to trade Pedro or Prior for some offense.

Any fool can piss on the floor....may you be the hero that craps on the ceiling!
Chiefscards
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davus » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:31 am

uhhhh...ignore this last guy.

You have a GREAT 1,2,3 combination for pitching. Perez, IMO, sucks badly. Weaver could end up with respectable numbers, but you need some help at the 4 and 5 slot for your pitchers. Wagner/Benitez/Graves will get you through the year pretty decently for saves. Graves will start the year closing but could end up losing his job to Ryan Wagner depending on his performance.

Now...over to your offense. Looks like you went for the All-Sleeper team bro! :-D

Not that it's bad necessarily, but it could be anywhere from awful to great...or anywhere in between. It looks like you may have made some bad decisions in the middle rounds. Let me tell you what's good. Huff, Sweeney, Crawford, Teixeira, Blalock are all good/great. Gibbons is serviceable, and Ensberg could end up being huge. Durham is weak, Reyes is a sleeper but who knows what he will really do.

Overall, I think you went for too many risky guys and possibly could have gotten them too early because you should have some more dependable performers.

I think you will have a solid team but you may want to try trading Wagner, for instance, for a decent 2B like Kent or something. Wagner has been going in the 2nd or early 3rd round this year it seems like and people always overvalue closers if they don't have one. There are probably some other closers out there on the waivers that play for crappy teams but will still get you decent saves to keep you at least in the middle of the pack.

You need to have one more sure stud on offense, IMO, and boost your starting rotation with some more surefire guys if possible in the #4 and 5 slots. Your top three couldn't really get much better...so the other two don't have to be studs, but just guys that you don't have to worry about having a 5+ ERA at the end of the year. I'm thinking maybe guys like Washburn may be available for free or cheap...he had an off year but usually is quite dependable to have an ERA under 4...and he is pitching on a much improved Anaheim team.

Hope this helps. ;-D

davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:40 am

Listen to Davus, very good and concise synopsis of that team. Lol, pleasa respond to any questions I ask Davus.

I wouldnt worry one bit about Blalock or M.Cabrera at 3rd and you have Ensberg as a sleeper if he can match last years full time production.

Reyes you made your gamble so you might as well stick with it, but consider addressing 2B. If not dont sweat things too much. Teixera will be solid and if Sweeney is recovered and good to go that is not a horrible team. Your gonna need another arm or 2B not too far into the season but if I were you I would wait it out. Someone is going to be knocking on your door for a 3B within the first 2 months of the season. Wait for someone to come to you for a trade and you should have a competetive team.

Last edited by Bukoski77 on Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fantasy_gamer » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:44 am

Yeah I did go for quite a bit of sleepers in a row!:

Huff (44th overall -- 4th round)
Blalock (56th overall -- 5th round)
Beckett (65th overall -- 6th round)
Reyes (80th overall -- 7th round)
Teixeira (89th overall -- 8th round)
Crawford (105th overall -- 9th round)
M.Sweeney(113th overall -- 10th round)
M.Cabrera (137th overall -- 12th round) **probably a mistake here** since I got Drew 7 rounds later

Thanks for the advice.
fantasy_gamer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Pedantic » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:34 am

Blalock was too early IMO. I'd try to get 1 or 2 stud hitters. Most of your studs are pitchers. Trade from that strength.

Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby mtarail » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:50 am

I gotta be honest. I agree with Chiefscards and I think you made pretty bad choices in rounds 4-8 in the draft. It's not that those guys are bad players, but you picked them too early.

If I were you I'd try to deal Pedro (or Prior) for Manny. You could really use another guy that will hit for high average and hit a lot of jacks.

I'd also scour the waiver wire for pitchers. There are bound to be some players out there with more upside than Benson and Affeldt. I can understand keeping Weaver to take a chance on him, although I wouldn't expect much.

Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:57 am

It looks like the Futures Game roster.

If it's a keeper league; not bad. If it's a re-draft; yikes. Prior and Pedro is a nice 1-2 punch though. And Beckett at #3 is great. Unfortunately you sacrificed a lot on offense by getting 3 great SP's and 2 great closers. Huff and Sweeney will have to carry all your categories except SB's, which Crawford should get his fair share of.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Danimal » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:04 am

Why are people suggesting Reyes is a gamble? I thought he progressed nicely until his injury last fall. I think he'll do quite well this year.
;-D

Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team