Bonifacio, the bubble has burst - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bonifacio, the bubble has burst

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bonifacio, the bubble has burst

Postby wildbill » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:42 pm

RenPastana wrote:The bubble has not burst...Baseball is a game of averages...Noone will ever hit .400 again, that's pretty much a given, therefore Boni will come down to earth, but he will not fall off the face of the earth either...

He's got very good minor league numbers, very similar to Jose Reyes...in 635 minor league games, he stole 233 bases with a BA of .285. So he can hit for a decent average and give you tons of steals but not much more than that. Olster from ESPN wrote a piece on Boni comparing him to J.Reyes - - - that should tell you something!

He likely won't hit another HR this yr but that is not what you expect when you get Boni man, so sit tight and enjoy his SB's while everybody else is about to hop off his wagon!

Stop sniffing the glue right now, it's not good for you and is making you delusional. He's probably about a .265 - .275 hitter in the majors, no power, not really an on base machine either. His minor league K rate is once every 4.8 AB, Reyes once every 6 AB , a difference of 25 every 600 AB, rather significant (25% more). BTW some of the guys on ESPN are idiots, you should know that by now. To compare him to Reyes is blasphamy. Bonifacio has nearly twice as many minor league AB as Reyes, 2574 to 1303, that should give you a big indication Bonifacio is nowhere near Reyes. Forget zip codes, Bonifacio isn't even in the same country. I'm not saying he's useless, but he's not a top 10 rounder in a standard yahoo 12 team roto league either, which means he's not overly valuable. So yes the bubble has burst. You won't be trading him for a top end player unless you trade with an idiot. He's a 2 category player who won't hurt you much in a 3rd and will provide you almost nothing in the other 2. Somewhat useful yes, but not like he's been hyped, i.e burst bubble.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RenPastana » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:26 am

Well, how do you explain Figgins getting drafted before the 6th rd in most leagues over the past 3 yrs? Get it together homie!

He may be no J.Reyes since he doesn't have HR power, but could be better than J.Pierre and Figgins! When Pierre was a starter, he was getting drafted high so give the kid a chance! I never once said Boni was top 10 but could definitely be an asset to a team that is hurting for steals! boooo ya!
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:31 pm

RenPastana wrote:Well, how do you explain Figgins getting drafted before the 6th rd in most leagues over the past 3 yrs? Get it together homie!

He may be no J.Reyes since he doesn't have HR power, but could be better than J.Pierre and Figgins! When Pierre was a starter, he was getting drafted high so give the kid a chance! I never once said Boni was top 10 but could definitely be an asset to a team that is hurting for steals! boooo ya!

Because Figgins and Pierre were better players in there best years then Bonifacio is at this point. Figgins is a .290 hitter who could steal 50-60 bases in a full, healthy season. Pierre was a .300 hitter who could steal 50-60 or more bases a season. They both scored their runs too, not to mention having higher OBP in the majors then Bonifacio had in the minors. Basically they're 3 category players to Bonifacio's 2 categories. Bonifacio and his likely .265 to .275 BA and his 35+ SB speed is not the same player as those 2 at their best and he's not really all that close. Perhaps you should do some research before comparing Bonifacio to superior players and suggesting he's the same as them. You struck out trying to do that with Reyes, now twice more with these 2, care to go for the golden sombrero? Now Bonifacio's minor league stats do have some similarity to Figgins in AB, Ks, and some other categories. Assuming he takes a similar path and can find a way to up his OBP maybe he can match Figgins 34 SB his 1st full major league season. While useful that's not a fantasy superstar season. Now Figgins was a fantasy star his 2nd full season.

You were never claiming he was only useful for steals. You were claiming the bubble had not burst. Everyone knows he has speed, but if speed is all it took to be a fantasy superstar everyone would want to own Michael Bourn. Bonifacio can steal bases yes, but he's not the player he was vs the Nats. Everyone was looking at him as the next fantasy superstar, including you by claiming the bubble had not burst. He's now crashing back to what people should have expected, i.e the fantasy superstar bubble has burst. I find it interesting how you seem to be backtracking now. No one thinks I was referring to him stealing bases only as the bubble. He's basically Michael Bourn with a better batting average right now. He's not Jose Reyes, minus the power or even Figgins or Pierre at their best. So yes the bubble has burst. Like I said before that doesn't make him useless, but he''s not a fantasy stud either.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RenPastana » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:52 am

wildbill wrote:
RenPastana wrote:Well, how do you explain Figgins getting drafted before the 6th rd in most leagues over the past 3 yrs? Get it together homie!

Because Figgins and Pierre were better players in there best years then Bonifacio is at this point. Figgins is a .290 hitter who could steal 50-60 bases in a full, healthy season. Pierre was a .300 hitter who could steal 50-60 or more bases a season. They both scored their runs too, not to mention having higher OBP in the majors then Bonifacio had in the minors. Basically they're 3 category players to Bonifacio's 2 categories. Bonifacio and his likely .265 to .275 BA and his 35+ SB speed is not the same player as those 2 at their best and he's not really all that close. Perhaps you should do some research before comparing Bonifacio to superior players and suggesting he's the same as them. You struck out trying to do that with Reyes, now twice more with these 2, care to go for the golden sombrero? Now Bonifacio's minor league stats do have some similarity to Figgins in AB, Ks, and some other categories. Assuming he takes a similar path and can find a way to up his OBP maybe he can match Figgins 34 SB his 1st full major league season. While useful that's not a fantasy superstar season. Now Figgins was a fantasy star his 2nd full season.

You were never claiming he was only useful for steals. You were claiming the bubble had not burst. Everyone knows he has speed, but if speed is all it took to be a fantasy superstar everyone would want to own Michael Bourn. Bonifacio can steal bases yes, but he's not the player he was vs the Nats. Everyone was looking at him as the next fantasy superstar, including you by claiming the bubble had not burst. He's now crashing back to what people should have expected, i.e the fantasy superstar bubble has burst. I find it interesting how you seem to be backtracking now. No one thinks I was referring to him stealing bases only as the bubble. He's basically Michael Bourn with a better batting average right now. He's not Jose Reyes, minus the power or even Figgins or Pierre at their best. So yes the bubble has burst. Like I said before that doesn't make him useless, but he''s not a fantasy stud either.

Actually, Bonifacio is more like a Mark Tex...Hits for power, avg and tons of RBI! ;-D

I will still stand by my statement and let time speak for itself...If I am more, so be it! I don't own Boni anyway, so it's really useless what I think of him!
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:27 am

I'll be interested in seeing if Bonifacio can keep the starting 3B position. I see him as more of a .650 OPS hitter with differing reports on his defense (let's say it's average). Does that make him Nick punto at 3B with worse defense (punto is a great defender) and more steals?

As long as he's starting his SB's can make him valuable to some fantasy teams but if he's not he's worthless like Reggie Willits.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates