Pablo Sandoval - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pablo Sandoval

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pablo Sandoval

Postby bsblallstr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:04 pm

When does this guy get to start playing catcher for the giants. Is he?
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pablo Sandoval

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 pm

I think the idea is that he's a 3B with C eligibility. He might get a handful of games at C, hopefully enough to stay eligible, but I don't think it was ever planned for him to spend a lot of time back there.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bsblallstr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 pm

I wasnt expecting him to be the starter over Bengie, but I was hoping he would get at least 5 games in before mid May.
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:17 pm

bsblallstr wrote:I wasnt expecting him to be the starter over Bengie, but I was hoping he would get at least 5 games in before mid May.

I wouldn't count on it. I don't think he's even the primary backup.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
bsblallstr wrote:I wasnt expecting him to be the starter over Bengie, but I was hoping he would get at least 5 games in before mid May.

According to the Giants' web site, he is indeed the primary backup for Bengie.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

According to the Giants' web site, he is indeed the primary backup for Bengie.

Good to know. I had taken a look at their roster on ESPN, and they had Holm listed as the second catcher, but it does appear he's in AAA.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:

sure he is. Aside from Molina he's the only capable catcher on the roster
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby neoforce » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:52 pm

I have been following this pretty closely, but maybe a true Giants fan can fill us in if I have it wrong.

Toward the end of spring training the Giants stated that since the schedule had so many off days in April, they would use Sandoval as backup and Holm was sent down. I haven't seen a definitive statement for May, but it seems like they plan to bring Holm up at some point and not have Sandoval be their only backup catcher. But I haven't seen anything definitive.

So far, Sandoval hasn't had an appearance at C, but they haven't had a long stretch of games yet. They play night games tonight and tomorrow, and a day game on Saturday. My guess is he gets the start at C on Sat.

I hope he gets 5 appearances at C, but right now I'm not sure that will happen.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jcde7ago » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:03 pm

neoforce wrote:I have been following this pretty closely, but maybe a true Giants fan can fill us in if I have it wrong.

Toward the end of spring training the Giants stated that since the schedule had so many off days in April, they would use Sandoval as backup and Holm was sent down. I haven't seen a definitive statement for May, but it seems like they plan to bring Holm up at some point and not have Sandoval be their only backup catcher. But I haven't seen anything definitive.

So far, Sandoval hasn't had an appearance at C, but they haven't had a long stretch of games yet. They play night games tonight and tomorrow, and a day game on Saturday. My guess is he gets the start at C on Sat.

I hope he gets 5 appearances at C, but right now I'm not sure that will happen.

This sounds about right, and I would not count on Sandoval getting 5 appearances at C before the All-Star break, if at all for the entire season. Holm will be up at some point next month out of necessity...Bengie can't be playing every inning of every game like he has been, or he's going to wear down. For now though, they are pretty much willing to stretch Bengie to the limit, and barring injury that probably will not change.
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby horatio » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:33 pm

All I know is that if Brandon Inge outperforms Sandoval this year I will be seriously irritated.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers