Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 2

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 2

Postby WebHamster » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:48 am

This thread contains comments on the Cafe's "Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 2 ", which was posted in the Cafe's Player Rankings section by AquaMan2342 on April 16, 2009. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 569)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 2

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Rookies needs to get credit for these articles also. I am not sure how to place dual writers in the intro and I'll make sure his ditty at the end is added on next week.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby californiasunshine » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Where's BJ Upton?
californiasunshine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Skins Fanatic » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:04 pm

I'm curious - is Swisher really not a top 40 OFer playing every day and batting clean-up in NY?
Skins Fanatic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:44 am

californiasunshine wrote:Where's BJ Upton?

He has been hurt coming into this week. He will return to the rankings next week.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:47 am

Skins Fanatic wrote:I'm curious - is Swisher really not a top 40 OFer playing every day and batting clean-up in NY?

This article was written before Nady's injury. Until that point, there was no evidence that Swisher was going to be given full playing time. On top of that, he has shown himself to be a streaky hitter his entire career. He'll probably sneak into the back of the rankings next week and be judged accordingly afterwards.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby drtodddds » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Ok a few questions?
How is Kinsler not a clear #1 over Utley? The best fantasy player period. In real life, ok maybe. In fantasy, it's not even close.
Matt Holiday is still ranked much too high, and is likely there because of his past Coors Field #s. You really think Matt Holiday's numbers will but him in the top 6 by years end? I'm betting top 15 to 20 OF will be a stretch.
Kemp, Hart, Ethier and Cruz all appear poised for huge years. If they continue to play like this, perhaps their rankings are a bit low?
Vlad needs to be moved way down the list with his injury.
Does Heath Bell deserve a little more love? Or is the beneficiary of a very suprisingly good SD start?
drtodddds
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:34 pm

How is Kinsler not a clear #1 over Utley? The best fantasy player period. In real life, ok maybe. In fantasy, it's not even close.

Not even close? Because Utley has 3 less RBIs and 2 less runs he is all of a sudden a distant second to Kinsler? Kinsler will steal more, but Utley will outdo him in the power categories while they should be similar in R/AVG outputs.

Obviously Kinsler has come out hot, but you are ignoring the idea of the rankings. That's why Bonafacio wasn't the #1 second baseman in last week's rankings. I can live with Utley remaining at the top of the second base rankings for now, and I am one who personally ranked Kinsler ahead of Utley in the Cafe's pre-season ranks.

Matt Holiday is still ranked much too high, and is likely there because of his past Coors Field #s. You really think Matt Holiday's numbers will but him in the top 6 by years end? I'm betting top 15 to 20 OF will be a stretch.

You might be right, but we are less than 10% into the season. It's going to take more than this for him to move down the rankings. You could mention Ryan Braun or Prince Fielder as well, but you expect them to rebound I assume. Holliday is talented enough to do the same.

Kemp, Hart, Ethier and Cruz all appear poised for huge years. If they continue to play like this, perhaps their rankings are a bit low?

Again, to "appear poised for huge years" is assuming they continue to produce at a relatively high level. Will they? I believe at least Kemp will, but since it's so early there's no use in throwing established veterans down in the ranks because other players have come out hot.

Vlad needs to be moved way down the list with his injury.

Vlad will not be in the rankings next week as he is on the DL.

Does Heath Bell deserve a little more love? Or is the beneficiary of a very suprisingly good SD start?

Bell will be ranked higher this week.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Article Discussions