Another Reason to Hate the Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Another Reason to Hate the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Another Reason to Hate the Yankees

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I've asked people to stand or remove their hats during a National Anthem. Seems some people simply forget, don't care, or really don't even know, what is expected of you during this tribute.


i used to just sit down and go about my business but ever since 9/11 i'm worried about some over-patriotic dude thinking he's Rambo and trying to start something with me...now i just stand up and eat my hot-dog or drink my beer...if i even get to my seat on time that is


Why? That just sounds intentionally disrespectful to me, which comes across as childish. I suppose I can understand indifference, if you were born here, don't know history, and take what you have for granted, but it's almost like you go out of your way or are proud of the fact that you don't (and don't have to like other countries) recognize the Anthem. I'm seriously curious, not trying to get under your skin. Why disregard the Anthem intentionally? You don't see it as a tribute to the decades of warriors who protect our interests?


i've just never been overly patriotic, and dont see the need to stand up if i dont want to...it's much easier to eat my food sitting down. also i dont understand why it's such a big deal at sporting events, but not rock concerts, theatre performances, etc. if i was at a war memorial parade or something i'd stand out of respect, but at an entertainment event, i dont really see the need to
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Another Reason to Hate the Yankees

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:37 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i've just never been overly patriotic, and dont see the need to stand up if i dont want to...it's much easier to eat my food sitting down. also i dont understand why it's such a big deal at sporting events, but not rock concerts, theatre performances, etc. if i was at a war memorial parade or something i'd stand out of respect, but at an entertainment event, i dont really see the need to


How many War Memorial Parades do you go to though? A sporting event is perfect, because it's something that happens every day and it's a way to routinely show our respect for the servicemen and women. It's a convenient way for us to pay our respects because they give us that opportunity. You do realize how selfish it sounds when you say you'd rather sit so you can concentrate on your food, than stand for 30 seconds to honor those who have provided the food you'd rather have in your lap right? Just because it's inconvenient, uncomfortable maybe, whatever, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Don't we do inconvenient, uncomfortable things every day? At least this one is positive. Is there a reason you don't consider yourself "overly patriotic"? I find it hard to believe you are unfamiliar with history. We practice our freedoms every day without even realizing it and there are men and women who are constantly in harms way defending those freedoms, whether they have differences or disagreements with our government or not. I simply don't understand how you can't be appreciative of that.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Another Reason to Hate the Yankees

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:39 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i've just never been overly patriotic, and dont see the need to stand up if i dont want to...it's much easier to eat my food sitting down. also i dont understand why it's such a big deal at sporting events, but not rock concerts, theatre performances, etc. if i was at a war memorial parade or something i'd stand out of respect, but at an entertainment event, i dont really see the need to

Good post and I agree

Omaha Red Sox wrote:How many War Memorial Parades do you go to though? A sporting event is perfect, because it's something that happens every day and it's a way to routinely show our respect for the servicemen and women. It's a convenient way for us to pay our respects because they give us that opportunity. You do realize how selfish it sounds when you say you'd rather sit so you can concentrate on your food, than stand for 30 seconds to honor those who have provided the food you'd rather have in your lap right? Just because it's inconvenient, uncomfortable maybe, whatever, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Don't we do inconvenient, uncomfortable things every day? At least this one is positive. Is there a reason you don't consider yourself "overly patriotic"? I find it hard to believe you are unfamiliar with history. We practice our freedoms every day without even realizing it and there are men and women who are constantly in harms way defending those freedoms, whether they have differences or disagreements with our government or not. I simply don't understand how you can't be appreciative of that.


Even better post and I agree more,

I live appox 5 miles from on of the biggest military bases in the country (Ft. Benning) and I have family members in the service. (My brother-in-law is active, my brother and another brother-in-law served 4-9 years each.) I see how these guys sometimes have to pack up and leave their entire family for 10-14 months at a time so we can enjoy our "freedoms". My own brother-in-law has had 3 tours of Iraq, back in 06 and 07 he missed both Christmases, both of his 3 girls b-days and 1 of his sons b-days because he was overseas on a 15 month deployment. Thats stuff you can't get back no matter what. I always stand to hear a national anthem because I know what they sacrifice to allow us to. I don't mind taking the few min or two out of my busy day to listen to the song that was made for them.
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Another Reason to Hate the Yankees

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:56 am

it
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i've just never been overly patriotic, and dont see the need to stand up if i dont want to...it's much easier to eat my food sitting down. also i dont understand why it's such a big deal at sporting events, but not rock concerts, theatre performances, etc. if i was at a war memorial parade or something i'd stand out of respect, but at an entertainment event, i dont really see the need to


How many War Memorial Parades do you go to though? A sporting event is perfect, because it's something that happens every day and it's a way to routinely show our respect for the servicemen and women. It's a convenient way for us to pay our respects because they give us that opportunity. You do realize how selfish it sounds when you say you'd rather sit so you can concentrate on your food, than stand for 30 seconds to honor those who have provided the food you'd rather have in your lap right? Just because it's inconvenient, uncomfortable maybe, whatever, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Don't we do inconvenient, uncomfortable things every day? At least this one is positive. Is there a reason you don't consider yourself "overly patriotic"? I find it hard to believe you are unfamiliar with history. We practice our freedoms every day without even realizing it and there are men and women who are constantly in harms way defending those freedoms, whether they have differences or disagreements with our government or not. I simply don't understand how you can't be appreciative of that.


it's just the way i am...that doesnt mean i dont appreciate what they do, i just think standing up (or choosing not to) for some song isnt necessarily the best way to show that appreciation. i'm not anti-military per se, my dad served in Nam, have a cousin who's been in the army 20+ years, another who went into the Air-Force, my nephew is considering serving, never considered it myself though. if that's what people want to do, cool, more power to them, and yeah, it's risky as hell, but it's the choice they make and i dont see the need to celebrate it at a ball game if i dont want to. i think the defense of our freedoms is a little over-rated at this point in history...our service men aren't defending our borders, they're out there fighting terror ;-7 maybe i'm taking things for granted, but had i grown up in Canada, or England or Sweden i'm sure i'd feel just as free.
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Another Reason to Hate the Yankees

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:19 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:it's just the way i am...that doesnt mean i dont appreciate what they do, i just think standing up (or choosing not to) for some song isnt necessarily the best way to show that appreciation. i'm not anti-military per se, my dad served in Nam, have a cousin who's been in the army 20+ years, another who went into the Air-Force, my nephew is considering serving, never considered it myself though. if that's what people want to do, cool, more power to them, and yeah, it's risky as hell, but it's the choice they make and i dont see the need to celebrate it at a ball game if i dont want to. i think the defense of our freedoms is a little over-rated at this point in history...our service men aren't defending our borders, they're out there fighting terror ;-7 maybe i'm taking things for granted, but had i grown up in Canada, or England or Sweden i'm sure i'd feel just as free.


This was the point I was trying to emphasize with this quote....
Omaha Red Sox wrote:We practice our freedoms every day without even realizing it and there are men and women who are constantly in harms way defending those freedoms, whether they have differences or disagreements with our government or not.


It doesn't, or shouldn't, matter to us what these young men and women are fighting for. Whatever the government has them "defending". We don't stand in support of the government at a baseball game. We don't stand and take our hats off because we love Bush or Obama. Lord knows, a lot fewer people would be standing and it would be quite awkward. We stand for the soldiers currently serving whether they too agree or not, and for those who have served, whether they agreed or not. One of the things I've always respected was a soldier's resolve when it came to fighting for a country that didn't always seem to have his/her interests in mind. I asked a young man about this a while ago and he said he doesn't serve his government, he serves his country.

You're right, standing up at a ballgame is not the best way to show your support for our servicemen and women. But it is a way, a very convenient and easy way to show it. There are other ways, of course, like welcoming them home at the airport (Hugs For Soldiers), but I'm guess the "per se" that you added suggests you're probably not too enthusiastic about that idea. The problem so many people have, and I'm not suggesting you personal do or do not, is that the frustration citizens have right now is misdirected. Whether we despised Bush or despise Obama, it's quite pathetic, in my opinion, to direct that disgust at a soldier, who isn't serving the President, but serving his country. And this breeds this stereotype of soldiers as being uber-macho or Ramboesque. If you've ever talked to a soldier it's far from uber-macho or Ramboesque. It's humbling and often times humiliating. But they do it anyway, because they have a servant's will and for that we should stand and honor them.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Another Reason to Hate the Yankees

Postby fezzik » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Whether we despised Bush or despise Obama, it's quite pathetic, in my opinion, to direct that disgust at a soldier, who isn't serving the President, but serving his country.


I've read the exchange of posts going on, but I was wondering how you could possibly see Dan Lambskin's stance on this issue as directing disgust at soldiers? Personally, I stand and salute my flag...but anyway...indifference is the worst thing you could accuse him of, and that may well be enough to eliminate that person as ever being your friend...I like to understand perspectives which differ from my own, and Dan has told you how he feels...you just don't like it. I don't think you should take it personally.

If I was at a baseball game and noticed some people not standing during the national anthem, and then saw someone engage them in conversation and tell them they should stand...while I would probably make the snap-judgment that the non-standing folks were indifferent or unpatriotic (possibly people I wouldn't be friends with), I would think the guy who told them to stand was a complete jerk. It screams of someone who is both intolerant and seeks out confrontation. Those are both traits I try to avoid in the people who are close to me. If the guy looked like a grizzled veteran, I would probably give him a break... ;-)

Don't get me wrong...there are times to fight and for confrontation, but not standing during the national anthem isn't one of them. And your opinion of "maybe they forgot and I just want to let them know what's going on" is a joke...nobody is that oblivious to their surroundings...some come close, but if they aren't standing it's intentional. :-)
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Re: Another Reason to Hate the Yankees

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:21 pm

fezzik wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Whether we despised Bush or despise Obama, it's quite pathetic, in my opinion, to direct that disgust at a soldier, who isn't serving the President, but serving his country.


I've read the exchange of posts going on, but I was wondering how you could possibly see Dan Lambskin's stance on this issue as directing disgust at soldiers? Personally, I stand and salute my flag...but anyway...indifference is the worst thing you could accuse him of, and that may well be enough to eliminate that person as ever being your friend...I like to understand perspectives which differ from my own, and Dan has told you how he feels...you just don't like it. I don't think you should take it personally.


Hey, now, fezz, I'm very familiar with Dan and he's very familiar with me. He's well aware we don't see eye to eye on everything and knows I'm not attacking him. I was not referring to Dan when I made that comment. I thought I made that clear. Sorry if I didn't. Anyway, I'm trying to understand where he's coming from because I don't get it. It seems very simple to me to stand in honor of our military and I'm wondering where the complexity of such a chore comes from.

fezzik wrote:If I was at a baseball game and noticed some people not standing during the national anthem, and then saw someone engage them in conversation and tell them they should stand...while I would probably make the snap-judgment that the non-standing folks were indifferent or unpatriotic (possibly people I wouldn't be friends with), I would think the guy who told them to stand was a complete jerk. It screams of someone who is both intolerant and seeks out confrontation. Those are both traits I try to avoid in the people who are close to me. If the guy looked like a grizzled veteran, I would probably give him a break... ;-)


I'm not sure where you're going with this fezz. I'm certainly not a guy who seeks out confrontation. Whenever I've confronted anyone about this or about "intentionally" (but acting like it's an accident) dropping trash, walking a dog without a leash, whatever it is, I have always been polite. Ok, I can't say that. I try very hard to be polite and believe I am in most instances. Ones that involve kids I have trouble keeping my resolve. I have friends who differ greatly with my views, one, in fact, who couldn't care less about this country. It irritates the hell out of me and I'm sure I do him, but he's a fun guy in other ways so it's fine. He knows how I feel and I know how he feels. We don't bug each other or preach to each other. Never been to a ballgame with him though. :-D

fezzik wrote:Don't get me wrong...there are times to fight and for confrontation, but not standing during the national anthem isn't one of them. And your opinion of "maybe they forgot and I just want to let them know what's going on" is a joke...nobody is that oblivious to their surroundings...some come close, but if they aren't standing it's intentional. :-)


Maybe I should have used the tongue in cheek icon ( ;-7 ). I don't mind coming across as oblivious myself in insinuating I think they simply forgot or didn't notice the anthem was going. Same thing with a person who "accidentally" drops a wrapper in line. "Sir, you dropped your wrapper." "Oh, thanks." And he picks it up. It works. Try it. ;-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Another Reason to Hate the Yankees

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:20 pm

If they play it in the Mausoleum when I go there I'll stand, even though I probably don't have to. ;-D

I don't stand for the English language version of the NZ anthem because I HATE what it's about and would like it to be changed. ;-)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact