Ray, Corpas, & Perez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ray, Corpas, & Perez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ray, Corpas, & Perez

Postby muetze » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:01 am

I'm holding on to Ray, Corpas, & Perez...who is most likely to get a closer's gig down the road?

My team (12 team 5 x 5):

1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Jose Reyes
3B Aramis Ramirez
C Victor Martinez
UT Jermaine Dye
OF Raul Ibanez
OF Shane Victorino
OF Nelson Cruz

BN Ramon Hernandez
BN Mike Fontenot
BN Ryan Theriot
BN Paul Konerko
BN Mark Teahen

SP Yovanni Gallardo
SP Adam Wainright
SP Matt Garza
RP Heath Bell
RP Frank Francisco
RP Ryan Franklin
P JJ Putz
P Matt Thornton
P Jason Motte

BN Scott Baker
BN Chris Perez
BN Chris Ray
BN Manny Corpas

DL Chris Carpenter
DL Hiroki Kuroda
Muetze
muetze
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ray, Corpas, & Perez

Postby mojoorising » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:52 am

Its a crapshoot really any one of these 3 could get the job at any moment, but if i had to pick one its Perez. Reason being if he pitches well he wins the job other 2 are dependent on another pitcher blowing the job. Btw i have all 3 of them and hoping for the same thing :-D

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=378959
mojoorising
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Merlin401 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:00 am

mojoorising wrote: the job other 2 are dependent on another pitcher blowing the job.

But Houston Street IS blowing the job.

Short-term i'd rank: Perez, Corpas, Ray

Long-term (season) i'd rank: Ray, Corpas, Perez

Long-term (dynasty) i'd rank: Perez, Ray, Corpas
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Spectrum » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:40 am

Ray has been pretty terrible so far this year though. I know he was lights out in the spring, or I at least read that. But Sherrill reminds me of some guys we had here in Cleveland... Wickman... Borowski. Both held jobs for longer than they should have, because they got the job done somehow, most of the time.

I understand how O's fans feel watching him come into games, and totally get why he's talked about as a guy soon to lose his job.

But Perez is, IMO, the most likely to pick up some saves, and possibly take over the closers role. Corpas Closed when Fuentes went down in 2007, and was pretty damn good. I had him then, and last year, when he was terrible. I have him again in a couple of leagues this year, banking on Street losing his job as well. I'd have to rank them the same way. Perez/Corpas/Ray
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Montana168 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:08 pm

ray is definately the most intriguing option out of the 3, IMO. ray did not give up a run in 7 spring innings. he struggled to start the season giving up 2 runs in each of his 1st 2 outings to the yanks. but over his past 2 outings he has pitching 2.1 IP with 5 K's against tampa and texas. remember a couple years ago he was lights out and saved 33 games. however perez is a close 2nd simply because he has outstanding strikeout potential. corpas is the last, IMO, because he does not strike batters out and he pitches in coors field. i know he was outstanding the year the rockies went to the world series but even if he hits those numbers again, perez and ray have potential to be better with higher strikeout numbers.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ELaw77 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Everyone doubts Sherill but he does get the job done...so I really dont expect Ray to close until late in the season, if he does at all.

I got a feeling Street and Corpas will eventually have a time share...Whoever is on top of their game will close.

I would hold onto Perez and see if anything changes in the near future.
ELaw77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wildbill » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:10 pm

Maybe it is, but I'm not sure why Street's job as closer would be in danger. Street is 1 for 1 in save ops. Meanwhile, Corpas already blew a save. Sure Street has pitched poorly in non-save ops, but a lot of closers don't pitch as well in non-save ops. Also COL would kill Street's trade value if he isn't closing, so I'd think he get a lot of rope.

Motte has pitched 3 games in a row now where he hasn't given up any runs while in the game. The one run charged to him was when he was pulled in his second inning the other night for a lefty who failed to get the left-handed hitter out allowed an inherited runner to score. Motte also pitched in the 9th inning last night. Also the first inning he pitched tuesday and the inning he pitched last night were 1-2-3 innings. He' s probably unavailable to pitch today, but I think his next appearance could be a save op. Perez still walks a lot of batters so he's got his own issues.

Ray is the least likely to be closing soon, I'd say June at the earliest for him and then only if he starts pitching better. Keeping Sherrill in as closer will increase his trade value, so I can't see him loosing the job if the 's intend to trade him.

There's no guarantee Corpas, Perez or Ray closes anytime soon, but it's probably a toss up between Corpas and Perez if either of them gets a chance soon. It could easily be someone in Tampa first with Percival's health always shakey. Also there could be a change in DET before any of these 3 situations. I mean does anyone think Rodney won't fall off the wagon again?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:30 pm

i still like Ray overall for the year, hes got really good stuff... i say for RIGHT now tho it will be between Corpas and Perez, Perez was just recalled as STL finally figured out they screwed up and need help in the pen recalling Perez to battle for the closer job, and with the rotating door they have going on there if Perez steps up and closes out say 2 strong games he will secure it for a while... but then i found this very interesting updating on Corpas is that hes in a strong battle again with Street, yes Street is 1-1 save opp but that was his first sighting on the year, giving up 1 H and King 1 in 1 IP, there after he has blown up, 1.2 IP with 4 ER 1 BB 7 H and only 1 K, meanwhile Corpas hasn't been crystal but he also has out performed Street, 4.1 IP, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 H, 3 K, and Hurdle has been quoted as saying he will 'reassess' the closer situation tomorrow (Friday) quoted by Tracy Ringolsby of insidetherockies.com:"I have a whole night and another day to figure things out," Hurdle said. "I am going to look at the tape, see the location of pitches, where we were setting up . . . You can do a lot of things when it's the best for the team." Closer Huston Street has gotten off to a bumpy start in Colorado, earning a 13.50 ERA and an OBA of .563 in four appearances. Corpas, on the other hand, has been solid in four of five relief appearances in 2009, and Hurdle has been known to swap closers at the first sign of trouble. Time to put Corpas back on your watchlist... i mean to me the best stats and stuff should close and IMO Corpas has the better of the 2... i rank them for NOW: Perez, Corpas, Ray, by the end of the season: Ray, Perez, Corpas

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fbc_fan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:40 pm

ELaw77 wrote:Everyone doubts Sherill but he does get the job done...so I really dont expect Ray to close until late in the season, if he does at all.

the o's should use sherrill for what he is good for, getting lefties out. i have them both in a handcuff, but it is becoming tiresome.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 3rice » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Ryan Franklin pitched for his second save today and in 4 appearances has yet to give up a run.

Its his job to lose imo. I would factor his early success in w/ Perez's chances.
3rice
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates