Rickie Weeks & Howie Kendrick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickie Weeks & Howie Kendrick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rickie Weeks & Howie Kendrick

Postby Super Manny » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 am

Grounded Polo wrote:
Super Manny wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
Yeah but these guys are basically the same and Weeks was drafted 6 rounds later. Anything above Round 15 for Kendrick in a 12 teamer is overdrafting.

Basically the same...? I actually find them to possess quite different skill sets; never have heard that comparison before. :-?

In terms of potential, maybe, but as to which stats they'll provide the most positive return in, I don't really see it. Weeks has much more immediate potential for runs scored and in the power departments; Kendrick's main attribute right now is his high average (in spite of his low BB-rate). Steals might end up similar, although I'd give the advantage to Weeks there, too. Maybe that's just me, though...

FWIW, Kendrick's median draft position (Mock Draft Central, Couchmanagers, Fantasy Gameday, CBS, ESPN, Yahoo, NFB) is pick 137. In a 12 team snake-draft, that's 11th-12th round territory. I don't feel I overdrafted or reached at all in taking him where I did.

So you think Weeks is clearly better but were willing to draft Kendrick 6 rounds before him? :*)

I mean the same as in toolsy 2B guys who haven't done anything to merit anything but flier status, not as actual players.

Never did I say I thought Weeks is clearly better. No matter how much Rickie may contribute in other areas, with his track record, his batting average has been a detriment to fantasy teams. This is the same reason that Dunn, Burrell, Mark Reynolds, et al are drafted in the deflated positions that they are, or go undrafted altogether; the benefit they may provide in certain categories usually isn't worth the huge hit they'll cause you in average.

In addition, Weeks' MDP is 50+ picks later than Kendrick. Why would I have reached for Rickie at that pick? I hadn't originally planned on drafting both, but when Kendrick was the "best" second baseman available (in terms of rankings and categories needed by my team), I took him. I knew that in doing so, I was picking up an injury-risk, and knew I wanted insurance - Weeks fit the bill quite well.

So, couple a guy who is generally seen as a contributor mainly in BA (Kendrick) with a guy who is more "toolsy" in most other categories (Weeks), play the matchups/hot bats/and for the stats your team needs, and you should be in good shape; just knock on wood that neither catch another case of DL-itis.

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseketball4life » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:57 am

Weeks today, weeks tomorrow, weeks forever. weeks is going to be a star, this year will start it all for him
Go Heels
baseketball4life
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Regalus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Both Stink you should have grabbed Cano a round before Kendrick. Im heavily invested this year, and so far, so good. :-)
Regalus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Thu May 14, 2009 12:40 am

Weeks is sitting at .286 with 28 R, 9 HR, 24 RBI, 1 SB. Not exactly what people expected from him but I have to assume those people who drafted him are pretty darn happy with it so far.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:50 am

Ender wrote:Weeks is sitting at .286 with 28 R, 9 HR, 24 RBI, 1 SB. Not exactly what people expected from him but I have to assume those people who drafted him are pretty darn happy with it so far.

I couldn't be happier, I draft him every year it seems..and this year it's finally paying off. I'd like to see more SB's, but don't want to be too picky ;-) I'm still hoping he reaches 20 sbs, since 20 hr seems like a lock right now. My league laughed at me for having Weeks as my starting 2B..who's laughing now? B-)
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:34 am

BJSFAN123 wrote:
Ender wrote:Weeks is sitting at .286 with 28 R, 9 HR, 24 RBI, 1 SB. Not exactly what people expected from him but I have to assume those people who drafted him are pretty darn happy with it so far.

I couldn't be happier, I draft him every year it seems..and this year it's finally paying off. I'd like to see more SB's, but don't want to be too picky ;-) I'm still hoping he reaches 20 sbs, since 20 hr seems like a lock right now. My league laughed at me for having Weeks as my starting 2B..who's laughing now? B-)

Sell Now. The 1 SB is scary, and he will hit his wall. His wall is nasty, too. The Ks come in bunches once pitchers go to the slider/curveball low and away.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Ender » Thu May 14, 2009 8:17 am

Weeks isn't really killed by the slider, that is Hart and to some extent Braun. Weeks biggest issue is generally just swinging and missing on strikes and watching close strike 3s in deep counts. He is attacking earlier in counts this year which is why the BB are down though.

I'd still be looking to sell him if I could but I would make sure I'm getting someone good enough to make it worth it. A .260 AVG and 25 HR isn't out of the question.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mtxdevil » Thu May 14, 2009 10:24 am

I've been watching Rickie every night and he is laying off bad pitches. Much more so than last year. He just seems more comfortable overall and isn't chasing very often. I don't see any reason he can't continue to be solid.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Fri May 15, 2009 3:51 pm

mtxdevil wrote: I don't see any reason he can't continue to be solid.

History.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby mtxdevil » Fri May 15, 2009 5:11 pm

rjforlife wrote:
mtxdevil wrote: I don't see any reason he can't continue to be solid.

History.

What if something just 'clicked' for him? If so, I would expect him to perform differently than in the past.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers