Rickie Weeks & Howie Kendrick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickie Weeks & Howie Kendrick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rickie Weeks & Howie Kendrick

Postby The Mighty Trow » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 am

Long considered loaded with talent but unable to put it together at the major league level due to injuries and inconsistencies. Still too young to give up on, though i'd imagine wearing thin on even a saint's patience by now. Going by R&C's MDP, Kendrick is being drafted sixty picks ahead of Weeks, though it looks to me like Weeks has had the more productive career to date.

So, hypothetical situation: you own both. Which do you plug in at 2b for the long haul? Why?
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rickie Weeks & Howie Kendrick

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:21 am

All I can say on this topic is that Weeks is getting a lot of good press from the players on the team, I've heard a lot of 'he looks like a completely different player' type comments. It isn't just on the offensive side, it is defensive too. He has the look of a player who suddenly 'got it' overall. Will be interesting to see if he keeps it up all season as he has shown flashes of greatness but it has always been mixed with flashes of terribleness~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:26 am

Well, I own Weeks..so I may be bias, but I like Rickie more since I feel like all Kendrick is going to give you is a good average. While Weeks is a potential 20/20 candidate..and I don't think he's going to bat .230 again, the average will rise.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sekrah » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:53 am

Got Rickie on my team, been very happy with his production so far this year.

He's hitting just .257, but his K's are down, and his line drives are up, and he has 2 dingers already. He just has the "look" of a different player at the plate.

I am very confident in him right now.. I can definently see him being a .260-.270, 25+ HR guy this year if he keeps his new approach up.
Sekrah
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Super Manny » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:32 am

Have both guys on my team; landed Kendrick in the 11th and Weeks in the 17th in a 12-team 6x6 roto (OBP). I figured that at least one - if not both - have a decent chance at finally staying healthy and breaking out. ;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby mak1277 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:14 am

Super Manny wrote:Have both guys on my team; landed Kendrick in the 11th and Weeks in the 17th in a 12-team 6x6 roto (OBP). I figured that at least one - if not both - have a decent chance at finally staying healthy and breaking out. ;-D

Weeks in an OBP league is pretty sweet. Even last year his OBP was something like .350...not great, but not crippling.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:16 am

Super Manny wrote:Have both guys on my team; landed Kendrick in the 11th and Weeks in the 17th in a 12-team 6x6 roto (OBP). I figured that at least one - if not both - have a decent chance at finally staying healthy and breaking out. ;-D

Yeah but these guys are basically the same and Weeks was drafted 6 rounds later. Anything above Round 15 for Kendrick in a 12 teamer is overdrafting.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Super Manny » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:41 am

Grounded Polo wrote:

Yeah but these guys are basically the same and Weeks was drafted 6 rounds later. Anything above Round 15 for Kendrick in a 12 teamer is overdrafting.

Basically the same...? I actually find them to possess quite different skill sets; never have heard that comparison before. :-?

In terms of potential, maybe, but as to which stats they'll provide the most positive return in, I don't really see it. Weeks has much more immediate potential for runs scored and in the power departments; Kendrick's main attribute right now is his high average (in spite of his low BB-rate). Steals might end up similar, although I'd give the advantage to Weeks there, too. Maybe that's just me, though...

FWIW, Kendrick's median draft position (Mock Draft Central, Couchmanagers, Fantasy Gameday, CBS, ESPN, Yahoo, NFB) is pick 137. In a 12 team snake-draft, that's 11th-12th round territory. I don't feel I overdrafted or reached at all in taking him where I did.

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby The Mighty Trow » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:49 am

Grounded Polo wrote:

These two comments sum up my situation pretty well. I wound up with both after some trades, figuring that i could play both their hot streaks with the hopes of one breaking out. But the more research I did, I found many sources that say they're the same player, and just as many who refute that claim.

Now I realize I have no idea what I'm doing :-B
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:51 am

Super Manny wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

Basically the same...? I actually find them to possess quite different skill sets; never have heard that comparison before. :-?

In terms of potential, maybe, but as to which stats they'll provide the most positive return in, I don't really see it. Weeks has much more immediate potential for runs scored and in the power departments; Kendrick's main attribute right now is his high average (in spite of his low BB-rate). Steals might end up similar, although I'd give the advantage to Weeks there, too. Maybe that's just me, though...

FWIW, Kendrick's median draft position (Mock Draft Central, Couchmanagers, Fantasy Gameday, CBS, ESPN, Yahoo, NFB) is pick 137. In a 12 team snake-draft, that's 11th-12th round territory. I don't feel I overdrafted or reached at all in taking him where I did.

So you think Weeks is clearly better but were willing to draft Kendrick 6 rounds before him? :*)

I mean the same as in toolsy 2B guys who haven't done anything to merit anything but flier status, not as actual players.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers