Twins pitching a mess!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Twins pitching a mess!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Twins pitching a mess!!!

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:59 am

once mauer gets back to calling the games it should settle, but I think you're just seeing the inexperience behind the plate right now
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby superslugger616 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 am

WickedSmaat wrote:once mauer gets back to calling the games it should settle, but I think you're just seeing the inexperience behind the plate right now

i hadn't even thought of that. good defensive catchers are so underrated in their ability to call good ballgames
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:17 am

superslugger616 wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:once mauer gets back to calling the games it should settle, but I think you're just seeing the inexperience behind the plate right now

i hadn't even thought of that. good defensive catchers are so underrated in their ability to call good ballgames

And by underrated you mean overrated. There has been dozens of studies about this and they find that it all a bunch of nonsense in general. As long as your catcher has spent a year with the rotation his 'calling a good game' is just hogwash.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby superslugger616 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:32 am

Ender wrote:
superslugger616 wrote:

And by underrated you mean overrated. There has been dozens of studies about this and they find that it all a bunch of nonsense in general. As long as your catcher has spent a year with the rotation his 'calling a good game' is just hogwash.

I just think that the more games a pitcher throws with a catcher, the more comfortable he gets. Mauer is one of the premiere catchers in the league, so his absence is likely being felt by his team. It is not so much that catchers are underrated, but alot of people do not even consider a catcher when evaluating a pitcher. I'm sure it has some kind of effect on pitchers...
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatdamtom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:45 am

They just ran into the Jays who are on fire, no big deal.
thatdamtom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:53 am

Ender wrote:
superslugger616 wrote:

Meh, the Twins in general are a whole different team without Mauer in the lineup, they won't be able to contend without him behind the plate or DHing. He's as much a part of the offense as their defense. Just plain better when he's in the game.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AllDay » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:34 am

The_Natural wrote:As a Twins fans, I love our pitchers. For fantasy purposes though, they aren't going to cut it for top of the rotation. Liriano is the best for fantasy, but post injury ????.

In the drafts I was in, they were drafted usually where they belonged to be drafted.

Ditto.

I like our rotation for now - but other than Liriano (who I drafted only once) I really wasn't targeting any of them.

Last year I think the staff sort of fed off each other and their overall success. I don't know if that can be recaptured. This year there are expectations of them as individuals and we're bound to see some struggles.

I'd love to see Perkins have a big year. Homeboy's lookin' good so far.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hett2333 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:18 am

If you watched the game last night, Baker looked as bad as he did in spring training. It's amazing how he can't keep the ball in the park...I rarely ever look at spring training stats, but the fact Baker gave up 9 hr in 23.2 inn and another 4 yesterday is a little alarming. Slowey might not be giving up the hr, but if you've seen him pitch in his two starts, he looks terrible. Hitters are spraying the ball all over the field on him. I unfortunately own both, so right now I'm just hoping one of them can turn it around.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Stelly » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Slowey was a guy I was interested in at the right price. He just got dropped in one of my leages, and I'm toying with picking him up.

I don't like to get too worked up over early season stats, and grab guys based on talent and potential.
Stelly
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Urban Cohorts » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Ender wrote:There has been dozens of studies about this and they find that it all a bunch of nonsense in general. As long as your catcher has spent a year with the rotation his 'calling a good game' is just hogwash.

Dozens of studies? I'll believe it if you can list 10.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers