How long until you start to panic in a league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How long until you start to panic in a league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How long until you start to panic in a league?

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:15 pm

How badly do you have to get smacked around in H2H before you start considering some rash team decisions?

How long do you go in roto?

For me, I think I'd start to worry a month into H2H, if I've lost by 7-3 or worse in each round. Roto I think I would worry maybe 6 weeks in. Roto is probably harder to make up the ground in, but it just seems like a format less given to panic scenarios.

I also ask this because my 14 team H2H league got pasted 9-2 last week and is in the process of getting flattened this week also. :~(
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How long until you start to panic in a league?

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:17 pm

For Roto, Mid-Late May until I start to make drastic decisions. Not sure about H2H, but it would definitly be a lot sooner.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:19 pm

I put very little stock into April numbers so I never worry about my team or specific players until mid May. I'd worry later in H2H than in roto though since in H2H all you have to do is make the playoffs and get hot, in roto the longer you wait the bigger the hole you are building for yourself.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:52 pm

j24jags wrote:It's easy to worry early, but just look at the rankings for all Yahoo players.

Longoria
Bonifacio
Swisher
Pujols
Soriano
Lind
M Cab
Youk
Quentin
O Hudson
Markakis
Kinsler
Inge
B Roberts
Bartlett
A Jones
C Guzman

Wait until that list normalizes. Basically, I am saying that wait until the studs heat up and the flashes in the pan settle down. Usually sometime in May.

The problem with that is that by May you can be in a huge hole if you are losing big every week, and none of your players will have any significant trade value since they are tanking for you big time :-o :-o
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby West » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:07 pm

I don't think anyone should ever panic, but like others have said, late May is a good time to really take a serious look at your team's prospects. I'm in 2 keepers so if things don't turn around, I'm thinking about making some serious trades and building for next year about a month before the trade deadline - mid to late July.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:12 pm

4 at-bats.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:19 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
j24jags wrote:It's easy to worry early, but just look at the rankings for all Yahoo players.

Longoria
Bonifacio
Swisher
Pujols
Soriano
Lind
M Cab
Youk
Quentin
O Hudson
Markakis
Kinsler
Inge
B Roberts
Bartlett
A Jones
C Guzman

Wait until that list normalizes. Basically, I am saying that wait until the studs heat up and the flashes in the pan settle down. Usually sometime in May.

The problem with that is that by May you can be in a huge hole if you are losing big every week, and none of your players will have any significant trade value since they are tanking for you big time :-o :-o

You have to wait though....you did all your preseason prep for more than just 8 games of the season. You have to "for the most" part wait until May to see if you were right or wrong about these guys. There is absolutely no way of knowing if a guy will have a good or bad season just 1 or 2 weeks into the season....or even a month into the season. Make some tweaks, shake a couple things up but for the most part you have to stick with your rankings/projections for at least a month or you might as well not even worry about doing preseason prep because you are throwing it all away if your bailing on them in April. If you lose a season because a couple of known commodities have bad years then thats how it goes....if you bail on a Braun, Sizemore, Manny before May even hits then your going to be kicking yourself come July when they are doing what they always do....for someone elses team.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby West » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 pm

J35J wrote:
You have to wait though....you did all your preseason prep for more than just 8 games of the season. You have to "for the most" part wait until May to see if you were right or wrong about these guys. There is absolutely no way of knowing if a guy will have a good or bad season just 1 or 2 weeks into the season....or even a month into the season. Make some tweaks, shake a couple things up but for the most part you have to stick with your rankings/projections for at least a month or you might as well not even worry about doing preseason prep because you are throwing it all away if your bailing on them in April. If you lose a season because a couple of known commodities have bad years then thats how it goes....if you bail on a Braun, Sizemore, Manny before May even hits then your going to be kicking yourself come July when they are doing what they always do....for someone elses team.

Words of wisdom, Lloyd. Words of wisdom.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Completely agree with J35, but wanted to take it a little farther.

Stick with your sleepers as well, even if they tank early on in the season. You thought they were a sleeper for a reason, so don't give up on them too quickly.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers