Daisuke Matsuzaka (Dice-K) on the 15 day DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Daisuke Matsuzaka (Dice-K) on the 15 day DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daisuke Matsuzaka (Dice-K) on the 15 day DL

Postby beef » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:55 pm

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I searched around on the forums for more info and wasn't able to find any.

From rotoworld - http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/player ... MLB&id=776
Red Sox placed RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka on the 15-day disabled list due to arm fatigue.

The Providence Journal reports that Matsuzaka will be examined on Friday in Boston, and hopefully two weeks off will help him recover from what appears to be fallout from his participation in the World Baseball Classic.

Also from rotoworld - http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/player ... LB&id=5842
Red Sox recalled LHP Hunter Jones from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Jones takes Daisuke Matsuzaka's spot on the roster. The reliever had worked 3 2/3 scoreless innings thus far in the minors, but is not likely to make a fantasy impact during his time with the big league club.

Doesn't sound like Bucholz will be called up. Who'll fill in? Masterson? Or do they not need a 5th starter for a few weeks?
beef
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daisuke Matsuzaka (Dice-K) on the 15 day DL

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Red Sox placed RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka on the 15-day disabled list due to arm fatigue.

The Providence Journal reports that Matsuzaka will be examined on Friday in Boston, and hopefully two weeks off will help him recover from what appears to be fallout from his participation in the World Baseball Classic. Clay Buchholz is the top candidate to come up and replace him, though Hunter Jones will fill the roster spot for the next few days.

Rotoworld also. Where do you infer that Buchholz is unlikely to get the call?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby beef » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:

The Providence Journal reports that Matsuzaka will be examined on Friday in Boston, and hopefully two weeks off will help him recover from what appears to be fallout from his participation in the World Baseball Classic. Clay Buchholz is the top candidate to come up and replace him, though Hunter Jones will fill the roster spot for the next few days.

Rotoworld also. Where do you infer that Buchholz is unlikely to get the call?

Apologies, should have elaborated on that thought. I'd assume they'd need to make roster room for him and instead of calling him up they called a relief pitcher (Jones) up. Then again, the call up may only be related to the depleted bullpen. More speculation on who takes the starting pitcher spot as well as confirmation that Daisuke was put on the 15 day DL below from boston.com (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... _goes.html)
Jones, a 6-foot-4-inch, 240-pound southpaw, is en route to Oakland, and the Sox are hoping the 25-year-old arrives before or during the game since their bullpen was depleted last night. Justin Masterson, Manny Delcarmen, Ramon Ramirez, Hideki Okajima, and Jonathan Papelbon combined to pitch 10 scoreless relief innings Tuesday night before Javier Lopez suffered the loss in the 12th inning.

It is uncertain for now who will take Matsuzaka's next turn in the rotation, though Masterson, who struck out six in four innings last night, would seem to to be the best bet. It also may be dependent on the status of Josh Beckett, who is appealing his six-game suspension -- one start -- for nearly hitting the Angels' Bobby Abreu with a pitch Sunday.
beef
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 pm

Over on the SOSH (Sons of Sam Horn) Red Sox website, the talk is that Masterson gets Daisuke's spot in the rotation as Buchholz pulled a hamstring working out yesterday.

Masterson's first start will be on Monday.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ABA316 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:02 pm

From ESPN

Matsuzaka (arm) has been placed on the 15-day DL, the Boston Globe reports.
Spin: Hunter Jones was recalled from Pawtucket to take Dice-K's place on the roster, while Boston will likely recall another starter before his next turn in the rotation comes up. No word yet as to what specifically is ailing Matsuzaka at this time.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby marsrover21 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:18 pm

I would tend to trust the Boston Herald on this over some anonymous ESPN source:

Sean McAdam wrote:The Sox plan to have Justin Masterson take Matsuzaka’s spot in the rotation. Masterson was stretched out as a starter for most of spring training and contributed four innings in Tuesday’s loss. Masterson’s first turn in Matsuzaka’s place will be on Patriots [team stats]’ Day against the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park [map] Monday at 11 a.m.
marsrover21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:20 pm

marsrover21 wrote:I would tend to trust the Boston Herald on this over some anonymous ESPN source:

If you believe all of the East Coast bias theories being thrown around, the Boston Herald equals ESPN.

But in any case, I expect the Boston locals have it right. They move Jones up to take Masterson's spot in the bullpen and move Masterson up to a starter, and if Daisuke stays injured more than 2 weeks, I personally expect Buchholz to get the call.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby colt4523 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:16 pm

So do we have any conformation about who is going to replace him? I am about to drop a player for Masterson.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Matthias » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 am

colt4523 wrote:So do we have any conformation about who is going to replace him? I am about to drop a player for Masterson.

Still no definitive word but leaning towards Masterson.

From the Boston Globe
Matsuzaka's next start is scheduled for Monday. Because of Josh Beckett's suspension and subsequent appeal, the Sox have not decided who will take Matsuzaka's place. Justin Masterson, who threw 60 pitches in four innings in relief of Matsuzaka Tuesday, is a prime candidate.

"If it's something that's needed, of course," Masterson said late Tuesday. "I think so. Having gone through that routine, if needed, I'd be ready for that."
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ABA316 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Won't be Clay..I heard on the radio this AM he has a sore leg (hammy I think).

My apologies if this has been expanded on but that's all I know right now.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates