Too Early To Worry About Berkman, Papi and my OF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Too Early To Worry About Berkman, Papi and my OF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Too Early To Worry About Berkman, Papi and my OF?

Postby Lenny6 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:19 pm

I knew my OF was a weak spot on my team heading into the season, and the slow start offensively has gotten me thinking I might need to do something sooner rather than later so I'm looking for advice. My league is 12-team fantasy point H2H with keepers and I started 1-0 thanks to Lincecum's and Cliff Lee's week-1 flops, but will likely lose this week. Here is my roster:

C - Brian McCann $11
1B - Carlos Delgado $7
2B - Howie Kendrick $4
3B - Aramis Ramirez $14
SS - Stephen Drew $4
OF - Ryan Braun $4
OF - David DeJesus $4
OF - Hideki Matsui $4
DH - Lance Berkman $25
B - David Ortiz $16
B - Alex Gordon $4
B - Jeremy Hermida $2

SP - Roy Halladay $33
SP - Aaron Harang $10
SP - James Shields $8
SP - Matt Garza $9
SP - Scott Baker $7
SP - Kevin Slowey $4
RP - Brian Wilson $6
B - Brad Ziegler $5
B - Jair Jurjjens $4
B - Jesse Litsch $3
B - Kenshin Kawakami $2
DL - John Lackey $14

I painted myself into a corner when I thought I was getting a good value on David Ortiz at the auction when I probably would've been better off spending that money on a slightly lesser OF like Dunn, Ordonez, Abreu or Ibanez who all went for a buck or three less. Now I am forced to sit one of Berkman, Ortiz or Delgado (who obviously has been the best of those three so far) while having to start two of Matsui, DeJesus, or Hermida. Is it too early to sell low on Berkman and/or Ortiz, or is my OF in such dire straits that I need to make a move sooner rather than later.

I like to carry a deep pitching staff to take advantage of 2-start pitchers in the weekly H2H format and because our scoring rewards mostly for IP (lessening the value of RP's), but I'll probably cut Litsch shortly and could fill his spot with somebody more useful until Lackey is back.

The top hitters available on the waiver wire are Travis Hafner (I don't need two DH-only players with Ortiz around, though), Mike Cameron, Jordan Schafer, Luke Scott, Ryan Church, Daniel Murphy, Coco Crisp, Randy Winn, Fred Lewis and the like. Also available is Aaron Hill and super-sub Marco Scutaro if I wanted to ever scoop up a backup IF. On the pitching side, avaiable SP's are pretty slim since most people in the league keep 10 or 11 pitchers on their 23-man rosters. Todd Wellemeyer, Ricky Romero, Dallas Braden, Brandon McCarthy, and Bartolo Colon (never again!) are the best options there. Heath Bell is the top RP on the waiver wire, but has scored basically the same number of points as Ricky Romero (see, I told you SP's were favored).

I sent a trade offer of Berkman and Slowey for Dunn ($15) and Meche ($11), but I haven't gotten a response yet and have received one trade offer of Berkman and Slowey for Burnett ($18) plus Choo ($4) or Lind ($5). I'd like to get Dunn - he'll be 1B eligible eventually which would allow me to have a backup while trading Berkman and Meche is exactly the type of pitcher who thrives in our scoring. Burnett would be a huge boost to my staff, but are Choo or Lind enough of an upgrade over the OF's I already have in the long run?

So there's my story. Would you try to make a trade now, work the waiver wire for any one of those I mentioned, or stand pat and hope Berkman, Ortiz and especially my OF starts to turn things around? Thanks for reading and your feedback is appreciated. Leave a link and I will help in return!
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Too Early To Worry About Berkman, Papi and my OF?

Postby partibrejker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:52 pm

i wouldnt worry about ortiz and berkman. they will hit eventually, and hafner is someone you should keep an eye on; i like slowey as you know i have him on my team, and i try to keep onto him even with his 2 bad starts.
Davor F.
partibrejker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lenny6 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks. What about Matsui, DeJesus or Hermida? Will a couple of those start hitting well enough that I won't need to trade Berkman or Ortiz to upgrade?
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

Postby partibrejker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Lenny6 wrote:Thanks. What about Matsui, DeJesus or Hermida? Will a couple of those start hitting well enough that I won't need to trade Berkman or Ortiz to upgrade?

not a big fan of matsui. he has been injured twice in the last 3 seasons and is not looking so good now. if he can stay healthy this year he would have a great chance on putting up solid numbers, but i personally don't think he will. i think hermida will do good. he'll have a chance to put some Rbis with florida having a pretty decent offense. his average is a stinker, but you take that if hes putting up decent runs and rbis. Try picking up hafner and trying to package ortiz and dejesus for an upgrade on OF. Berkman is on your DH spot, and by trading ortiz and getting hafner from FA your really not losing that much. I believe hafner will have a similar season to ortiz. as of now hes actually out performing him and your really not losing anything by picking him up anyways.

also keep an eye on J. Schafer.
Davor F.
partibrejker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fan of the cubs » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:40 am

maybe I missed this, but what categories do you earn points in?
fan of the cubs Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lenny6 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:36 pm

Scoring:

Batters: TB = 1, R = 1, RBI = 1, SB = 1, BB = 1, HBP = 1, K = -0.5, GIDP = -1, E = -1 (not DH)

Pitchers: IP = 3, ER = -2, HA = -0.5, K = 1, BB = -1, HB = -1, W = 3, HD = 2.5, SV = 5.5, BS = -1.5

I'm looking to trade Ortiz + OF/SP for an OF and SP upgrades, but his value is really low and there are no takers. Matsui is looking really old and I know I can't survive with DeJesus and Hermida as my #'s 2 & 3 OF.
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lsquad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:46 am

Berkman is traditionally a bit of a slow starter, so no worries there at all, don't touch him. Because you lack the space it's not a bad idea to shop Ortiz, but don't sell him short, make sure you get full value. Basically, I'd slow down. all your hitters aren't going to hit all the time, and you'll get yourself into trouble by selling your best players in a panic. In truth, if your going to trade one of your 1b/dh guys it should be delgado, he'll give you the best return for the buck, and is getting older. all that said, you do need to upgrade your last of spot. I'd take a flier on Church, he was looking like a breakout player last year before he got concussed. anyway, best of luck to you.
Lsquad
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sublime8414 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:24 am

I would sit on your glut of 1B/DH and see who ends up getting you the most value. At this time it might even be worth selling delgado. I like him and all, and as a mets fan i hope he has a wonderful year, but he's a very streaky player. so a hot start might not be a terrible time to sell. Overall looks pretty solid. with gordon going on the bench i might pickup A hill. Would also look into schafer and fowler (if he's available) who i like more than dejesus. But i'm a big ceiling guy. Also, i like that deal for burnett and lind (though i might try and squeek a better upgrade out of him). Also is snider available?

Thanks for mine.
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team