Right-wing Americans now considered potential terrorist - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Right-wing Americans now considered potential terrorist

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Right-wing Americans now considered potential terrorist

Postby woodson_28 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 am

Please tell me that I'm not the only one concerned over this.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... -on-right/

The Department of Homeland Security is warning law enforcement officials about a rise in "rightwing extremist activity," saying the economic recession, the election of America's first black president and the return of a few disgruntled war veterans could swell the ranks of white-power militias.

A footnote attached to the report by the Homeland Security Office of Intelligence and Analysis defines "rightwing extremism in the United States" as including not just racist or hate groups, but also groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority.

"It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single-issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration," the warning says.

The White House has distanced itself from the analysis. When asked for comment on its contents, White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said, "The President is focused not on politics but rather taking the steps necessary to protect all Americans from the threat of violence and terrorism regardless of its origins. He also believes those who serve represent the best of this country, and he will continue to ensure that our veterans receive the respect and benefits they have earned."

The nine-page document was sent to police and sheriff's departments across the United States on April 7 under the headline, "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment."

It says the federal government "will be working with its state and local partners over the next several months" to gather information on "rightwing extremist activity in the United States."

The joint federal-state activities will have "a particular emphasis" on the causes of "rightwing extremist radicalization."

Homeland Security spokeswoman Sara Kuban said the report is one in an ongoing series of assessments by the department to "facilitate a greater understanding of the phenomenon of violent radicalization in the U.S."

The report, which was first disclosed to the public by nationally syndicated radio host Roger Hedgecock, makes clear that the Homeland Security Department does not have "specific information that domestic rightwing terrorists are currently planning acts of violence."It warns that fringe organizations are gaining recruits, but it provides no numbers.

The report says extremist groups have used President Obama as a recruiting tool.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Right-wing Americans now considered potential terrorist

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:54 am

I think Glenn Beck should be arrested for inciting all of this.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:04 am

To be serious about it, though, I don't know why this is so shocking.

Non-violent left-wing activists were watched as potential terrorists under Bush, as the Daily Kos records here.

Similar targeting of anti-Bush peace groups took place in Maryland, where 53 Non-Violent Activists were added to the terrorist watch list, and in Milwaukee were 37 members of the Peace Action Milwaukee Group - including a priest and nun - were turned away at the gates because there names were included on the "No Fly List".

The path for this was laid out in 2001 an Energy Dept Report : "Left-Wing Extremism: The Current Threat."

In 2005 DHS issues another similar report that listed various left-wing groups as "dangerous" - yet miraculously failed to include ANY anti-government, supramacist or radical right-wings groups.

So while peace activists and non-violent protesters have been harrased under Bush without reasonable cause or justification - Right-Wing Rhetoric has grown more and more vitriolic, paranoid and dangerous as shown by these highlights from the new report.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 am

I'm fairly sure radical rightwing extremists were considered potential terrorist threats before this report. Amazing how bombing abortion clinics and killing abortion doctors can give groups a bad reputation.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby knapplc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:39 am

Tavish wrote:Amazing how bombing abortion clinics and killing abortion doctors can give groups a bad reputation.

I know, right!?!??! :-D :-b

This is nothing new... J. Edgar Hoover had extensive files on "commies" back in the day, and then there was our old buddy Sen. McCarthy. A google search that I'm too lazy to perform would find similar "flags" in many governments, regimes and hegemonies throughout the ages. It's not cool, but it happens.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CadensDad » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:43 pm

As a "right-wing extremist" myself I'm glad to be finally getting some attention that we deserve...... J/k

It's not a shock to me, I wouldn't label them as "terrorist" exactly, but they should be watched a bit more

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:51 pm

Please. ;-7

It's not the Glenn Beck right-wingers they're referring to, it's the Timothy McVeigh right-wingers. Get off your high horse, the government doesn't consider your opinions worth pursuing. If you started making bombs, however....

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:09 pm

I say it tongue-in-cheek, but there is about 10-20% truth in there. Glenn Beck is not a person worth watching but his emotional breakdowns, his, "I just love my country", his, "They don't surround us, we surround them" and his constant exhortations to, "take back our country" could certainly provide the extra motivation for the next Timothy McVeigh.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:12 pm

...defines "rightwing extremism in the United States" as including not just racist or hate groups, but also groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority.

This is a huge problem with the release. I understand that an inefficient and duplicative agency like the DHS has to cast a wide net to justify itself, but this steps way over the line into the realm of politicizing the DHS mission away from its appropriate space. This is no surprise considering so many people in the Obama admin made careers off of inappropriate and/or malicious politicization. It just furthers my belief that many Obama voters didn't have the slightest clue what they were voting for.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:20 pm

RugbyD wrote:
...defines "rightwing extremism in the United States" as including not just racist or hate groups, but also groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority.

This is a huge problem with the release. I understand that an inefficient and duplicative agency like the DHS has to cast a wide net to justify itself, but this steps way over the line into the realm of politicizing the DHS mission away from its appropriate space. This is no surprise considering so many people in the Obama admin made careers off of inappropriate and/or malicious politicization. It just furthers my belief that many Obama voters didn't have the slightest clue what they were voting for.

Excuse me while I spit my drink all of my laptop. We just came out of the most recent politicized administration in recent memory and you're saying this about Obama? Do you have specific example on this?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk