100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Carpenter???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Carpenter???

Postby wildbill » Thu May 21, 2009 2:59 pm

JTWood wrote:
wildbill wrote:
JTWood wrote:Carp did have control issues last night. I would hardly say it was a triumphant return, but all signs were generally positive.

Why don't you trying pitching in a real game (majors or minors) for the first time in over a month and see if you can do any better then 5 shutout innings on 67 pitches against one of the top 2-3 offenses in the NL.

Father Carpenter, I'm sorry I offended you if I didn't gloriously praise your son. He is quite talented, and I was glad that the Cards won last night without your son reinjuring himself. Regarding your last comment, I do feel it is worth pointing out that the Cubs were shut out by Joel Piniero not one night before on 92 pitches! They didn't even draw a walk!!!

Please give Mrs. Carpenter my best. Hopefully, this won't create an awkward situation at Thanksgiving this year.

Actually I'm only his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

There was a time Piniero was considered a pretty good pitcher and every now and then he shows flashes of that. Including last night, Piniero has 5 (out of 8) games this season where he gave up 2 ER or less and went at least 6 2/3 IP in all 5. It's not like he's Adam Eaton. Also Piniero didn't just spend a month+ on the DL having thrown no pitches in a game during that time. I guess you'd have only been satisfied if Carpenter had thrown a 12-inning 1-0 perfect game on 60 pitches? He didn't so I guess that means we should all hurry up and drop the bum! I guess if you have kids they must cower in fear if they bring home a reportcard with a B on it.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Thu May 21, 2009 5:08 pm

wildbill wrote:I guess you'd have only been satisfied if Carpenter had thrown a 12-inning 1-0 perfect game on 60 pitches?

Carp did have control issues last night. I would hardly say it was a triumphant return, but all signs were generally positive.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby californiasunshine » Thu May 21, 2009 5:20 pm

wildbill wrote:
JTWood wrote:
wildbill wrote:Why don't you trying pitching in a real game (majors or minors) for the first time in over a month and see if you can do any better then 5 shutout innings on 67 pitches against one of the top 2-3 offenses in the NL.

Father Carpenter, I'm sorry I offended you if I didn't gloriously praise your son. He is quite talented, and I was glad that the Cards won last night without your son reinjuring himself. Regarding your last comment, I do feel it is worth pointing out that the Cubs were shut out by Joel Piniero not one night before on 92 pitches! They didn't even draw a walk!!!

Please give Mrs. Carpenter my best. Hopefully, this won't create an awkward situation at Thanksgiving this year.

Actually I'm only his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

There was a time Piniero was considered a pretty good pitcher and every now and then he shows flashes of that. Including last night, Piniero has 5 (out of 8) games this season where he gave up 2 ER or less and went at least 6 2/3 IP in all 5. It's not like he's Adam Eaton. Also Piniero didn't just spend a month+ on the DL having thrown no pitches in a game during that time. I guess you'd have only been satisfied if Carpenter had thrown a 12-inning 1-0 perfect game on 60 pitches? He didn't so I guess that means we should all hurry up and drop the bum! I guess if you have kids they must cower in fear if they bring home a reportcard with a B on it.

Dude stop being a D*** he offered good insight because although he did have a good night he DID have control issues, that's literally what he said; good signs but control issues. WTH are you arguing that he DIDN'T have control issues????????
californiasunshine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby djxskillz » Thu May 21, 2009 5:26 pm

yeah seriously, you are acting like he made fun of your father.
djxskillz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RenPastana » Thu May 21, 2009 7:38 pm

lol...been there done that with that *#*!$*

some things never change! lol :-b
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Fri May 22, 2009 3:12 am

RenPastana wrote:lol...been there done that with that *#*!$*

I was going to say something else, but this is one troll I'm not going to feed this time. Maybe he'll crawl back under the bridge from whence he came.
Last edited by wildbill on Fri May 22, 2009 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Fri May 22, 2009 3:27 am

californiasunshine wrote:Dude stop being a D*** he offered good insight because although he did have a good night he DID have control issues, that's literally what he said; good signs but control issues. WTH are you arguing that he DIDN'T have control issues????????

If you had bothered to read anything I said instead of violating board rules and calling me vulgar names just for the heck of it you wouldn't find anything where I said anything about whether he had control issues or not. I didn't argue that point one way or the other. All I basically said was considering all the factors in the situation, what more could any normal person possibly have expected out of Carpenter? Just how many pitchers do you think could have done better given the same set of circumstances? So what if he had some control issues, he only issued 2 walks, K'd 4 and averaged a decent 13.4 pitches an inning over 5 shutout innings. Name 5 other pitchers you think could have done better coming off a month long injury without any rehab starts. The way he worded his original post "hardly say it was a triumphant return" you'd think Carpenter pitched like he was Adam Eaton or Chan Ho Park.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 am

Alright, dorkus... Here's how it was.

Carp had control issues. He was missing his mark by more than a foot consistently at points during the game. He managed to battle back from some tough situations, and luckily for him, he was doing so against a demoralized Cubs offense that was swing happy. Versus a more disciplined team, Carp would not have fared as well as he did Wednesday. The good news is that Carp did do well and his control issues will almost certainly disappear in the near future. That means you can expect possibly even better numbers from him in future starts as he locks it in. I'm sorry I didn't end on the positive uptick last time, but I figure most people here are smart enough to make the logical leap of "Good Pitcher pitches okay and gets great results. Ergo, when Good Pitcher pitches great, he'll be even better."

I didn't realize I wasn't posting a glowing review of your religious leader, or dog's groomer, or whatever the heck kind of weird obsession you must have with CC. I am sure, though, that nothing I said was nearly as egregious as you're making it out to be. So please... Step back from the ledge and resume liking CC like a normal fanboi.

Also, I think CC is junk and should be dropped in all formats; especially deep, mixed leagues.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby killertofu2222 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:08 pm

the cafe gets harder to read each and every day.

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby RenPastana » Fri May 22, 2009 3:45 pm

wildbill wrote:
RenPastana wrote:lol...been there done that with that *#*!$*

I was going to say something else, but this is one troll I'm not going to feed this time. Maybe he'll crawl back under the bridge from whence he came.

LOL Come visit, your mom's here with me...

If Chris Carpenter stays healthy for the rest of the season, there's no pitcher in baseball that can put up even similar numbers to CC's...BAM!
(Can't wait to hear the feedback on this one)
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates