Nyjer Morgan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nyjer Morgan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nyjer Morgan

Postby Ronniebegood » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:17 pm

So far this season Nyjer Morgan, OF for the Pirates in 7 games is batting .387 with a .424 OBP and .484 SLG%. He's got 5 runs scored and 7 RBI plus he's stolen 3 bases. Those are better numbers than Carl Crawford's. Is this kid legit? It seems to me that the Brooklyn Cyclones get more coverage than the Pittsburgh Pirates so I haven't seen him play but I was wondering if anyone has and has any thoughts on him. I have an OF spot on my roster that's itching for a good sleeper.
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ronniebegood
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nyjer Morgan

Postby jswede » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:38 pm

he's today and tomorrow's Emilio Bonifacio (of last week Thur/Fri fame). kid can play ball and run - but who knows if he keeps it up. He is starting and leading off, so give him a ride if you have room.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IllinoisBandit » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:44 pm

Gotta tell you, he looked pretty darn good at the plate against the Reds. Best I can tell his job is safe, he should hit .280+, and should steal 30+ bases. He could also score enough runs to be an asset in the category as well, but the RBI's are a mirage.
Personally, I picked him up as a backup OF in a 5 OF league. If I fall behind too far in SB he may become a starter. I think he could be this year's "cheap steals off the WW and why you don't pay for steals during the draft" posterboy.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ronniebegood » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Sounds good. I'm gonna drop Jason Motte for him. I've been sitting on Motte hoping he'd be the guy in St. Louis but it looks like he's too young and rattles easily and LaRussa has lost faith in him. Morgan would be good on my squad seeing as my fastest guy might be Hank Blalock! Not good.
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ronniebegood
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Maris09 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Ronniebegood wrote:Sounds good. I'm gonna drop Jason Motte for him.

Oooo, not sure I'd do that quite yet, unless you're totally set at closer.

Ronniebegood wrote:Morgan would be good on my squad seeing as my fastest guy might be Hank Blalock! Not good.

Oh, nevermind then. 8-o :-D
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:Gotta tell you, he looked pretty darn good at the plate against the Reds. Best I can tell his job is safe, he should hit .280+, and should steal 30+ bases. He could also score enough runs to be an asset in the category as well, but the RBI's are a mirage.
Personally, I picked him up as a backup OF in a 5 OF league. If I fall behind too far in SB he may become a starter. I think he could be this year's "cheap steals off the WW and why you don't pay for steals during the draft" posterboy.

I see the potential too, that's why I'm wondering why I'm holding onto Maybin. They seem like very similar players aside from the hot start and the room at the top of the order, which are considerable facts!
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby thatguy27 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:38 pm

What are people's thoughts on Nyjer Morgan now? 6 steals, only caught once so far. Is it possible he steals 40+?
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:59 am

I like Morgan. I'd say it's possible for him to steal 40+. Taveras stole 68 with .308 OBP last year. Michael Bourn stole 41 with .288 OBP. Morgan isn't an OBP machine, but he'll likely finish the year with higher OBP than those two guys did last year. I'd be very happy with 35-40 steals, close to a 100 runs and .280 AVG, especially for a guy who could be had for nothing before the season.

I do think he's playing a little bit above his head right now and the AVG has been going down last couple of weeks.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby clevername » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:27 am

He was handy in H2H playoffs last year, too. Came up and stole a few for me.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers