Josh Beckett Suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Josh Beckett Suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Josh Beckett Suspended

Postby apz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:46 am

angels7777 wrote:
apz wrote:What BS. They called time halfway through Beckett's windup, he makes an errant throw and gets suspended? I'm no Beckett fan, but this is ridiculous. I was watching that game and was surprised that Abreu was even upset.

you obviously don't know baseball.... no way a Major League pitcher goes through his entire wind up and ends up throwing a 90+ MPH fastball at a guy's head with no let up.... if you do not suspend him, you are setting a bad precedent for things to come...

even the East-coast biased ESPN crew agreed with Major League baseball on this one
WTF are you; Whitey Ford?
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:18 am

smalls2598 wrote:
Rance Mulliniks wrote:He's appealed so he won't be out until the appeal is heard (and if he loses).

and it won't be heard until the Red Sox are in New York, which is beginning of May. So looks like he should be safe to start for the next few weeks, at least

Not necessarily. Players will often raise an appeal and then drop it and accept the suspension when it's convenient in the schedule for them to serve it.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby angels7777 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:35 pm

apz wrote:
angels7777 wrote:
apz wrote:What BS. They called time halfway through Beckett's windup, he makes an errant throw and gets suspended? I'm no Beckett fan, but this is ridiculous. I was watching that game and was surprised that Abreu was even upset.

you obviously don't know baseball.... no way a Major League pitcher goes through his entire wind up and ends up throwing a 90+ MPH fastball at a guy's head with no let up.... if you do not suspend him, you are setting a bad precedent for things to come...

even the East-coast biased ESPN crew agreed with Major League baseball on this one

good comeback - just because a player on your fantasy team gets suspended doesn't mean it was a bad decision by the league! Get over it - you are wrong in this particular scenario!
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
OF- J. Uptn, Trout, Polanco
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
RP- Melancon, Smith, Hawkins
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 68)

Postby apz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:55 pm

angels7777 wrote:
apz wrote:
angels7777 wrote:

good comeback - just because a player on your fantasy team gets suspended doesn't mean it was a bad decision by the league! Get over it - you are wrong in this particular scenario!
Don't have Beckett on my team and from what I've seen of him on TV, I don't really like him. Saying I'm wrong is one thing, saying I "obviously don't know baseball" because you disagree with me is something else don't you think? :-t
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:01 pm

only thing i can say is yes the pitch shouldn't have ended up where it went (about a foot from Hunter's head) thats hard to defend that it was 'half way through his wind up' thats why it ended up there, thats complete BS... but on the 2nd thought with no one else receiving possible suspensions (again Socia, Hunter, Spier) thats whats got me, if your gonna suspend one guy involved you have to suspend all involved to 'set a standard' as some are saying here, yes beckett threw the ball, but the benches cleared and Spier (moron) decides to try to go UFC on someone when he wasn't even involved, thats what im calling BS... if no other person from that situation gets suspended then neither should beckett... IMO ive seen alot worse situations that didn't result in suspensions, and to look at 6 games for beckett?! come on lets get realistic (i know hes a pitcher so at WORST he would lose 2 starts, most likey just a single start) but still no need to be that extreme... terrible situation that no one in this forum can defend that this is fair for beckett even if he threw the ball or not no one else received suspensions for much more 'aggressive' then beckett 'walking to the plate, rather then just walking back to the mound' as you say you wouldn't react that way if a 90+ mph fastball was thrown at your head, so your saying if Abreu was barking (im guessing not saying, 'hey nice throw man') back at you then you would just walk back to the mound, if you say yes then we all know your full of it...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:36 pm

angels7777 wrote:

Actually I think you are the one showing they do not know baseball here. It is common knowledge a pitcher is not supposed to let up in the middle of their windup because it is an injury risk.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby angels7777 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:54 am

walkoffblast wrote:
angels7777 wrote:

Actually I think you are the one showing they do not know baseball here. It is common knowledge a pitcher is not supposed to let up in the middle of their windup because it is an injury risk.

It's also common knowledge that if a pitcher does not let up in the middle of his windup, he should be able to throw the ball somewhere near the plate and not a few inches from a guys head.... Josh Beckett is making himself look like a Roger Clemens-type punk IMO with blatant crap like that...

either way, you guys have an opinion, but obviously the league agrees with my opinion ;-D
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby loyal_bushie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:10 pm

angels7777 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:
angels7777 wrote:

It's also common knowledge that if a pitcher does not let up in the middle of his windup, he should be able to throw the ball somewhere near the plate and not a few inches from a guys head.... Josh Beckett is making himself look like a Roger Clemens-type punk IMO with blatant crap like that...

either way, you guys have an opinion, but obviously the league agrees with my opinion ;-D

This is not to defend Beckett, but I really don't think it's "common knowledge that if a pitcher does not let up..., he should be able to throw the ball somewhere near the plate." Every time I've seen a pitcher continue his motion when timeout is called, the ball typically flies off pretty erratically, often ending up near the backstop. The idea is that when a pitcher is in the middle of the wind up and all of a sudden the ump yells "TIME!," this catches the pitcher off guard, and, if he then continues his pitch (which he is supposed to do), then almost assuredly the pitcher will have less control of where the ball will fly.
loyal_bushie
T-Ball Trainer

Postby angels7777 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:53 pm

loyal_bushie wrote:
angels7777 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:

This is not to defend Beckett, but I really don't think it's "common knowledge that if a pitcher does not let up..., he should be able to throw the ball somewhere near the plate." Every time I've seen a pitcher continue his motion when timeout is called, the ball typically flies off pretty erratically, often ending up near the backstop. The idea is that when a pitcher is in the middle of the wind up and all of a sudden the ump yells "TIME!," this catches the pitcher off guard, and, if he then continues his pitch (which he is supposed to do), then almost assuredly the pitcher will have less control of where the ball will fly.

so your saying that a ball flying inches from a guy's head was a coincidence?

You're right, I used the wrong choice of words in"somewhere near the plate", but the ball ended up inches from Abreu's head.... he could have thrown the pitch over the backstop or 20 feet outside or in the other dugout, but it was blatantly thrown in the direction of the batter at head level...... how many other pitchers in the history of baseball have been in the middle of a wind up, the batter called time out, and then threw a pitch inches from a guy's head? I am willing to bet rarely if at all.... the fact of the matter is that if every other pitcher in baseball can keep it away from a guy's head after a timeout is called, then why can't Beckett, who is widely known as one of the top pitchers in the game? Plus over the last 2 years Beckett has walked 34 and 40 batters respectively so it's not as if he is some rookie struggling with his control....

bottom line: Beckett did not like Abreu calling timeout, he threw at him intentionally, and he got suspended...
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby angels7777 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:20 pm

a couple other points to consider:

1) the catcher was set up low and away

2) the pitch still registered in the high 80s-low 90s so there was no let up

3) Major League baseball, the ESPN crew, and Mike Scioscia (all people who have been around the game a lot longer than kids on this messageboard) amongst others are wrong in saying he should be suspended?
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates