Josh Beckett Suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Josh Beckett Suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Josh Beckett Suspended

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Suspended for 6 games for throwing at Bobby Abreu's head a couple days ago. Don't know yet if he's appealing.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Josh Beckett Suspended

Postby apz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:39 pm

What BS. They called time halfway through Beckett's windup, he makes an errant throw and gets suspended? I'm no Beckett fan, but this is ridiculous. I was watching that game and was surprised that Abreu was even upset.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:48 pm

apz wrote:What BS. They called time halfway through Beckett's windup, he makes an errant throw and gets suspended? I'm no Beckett fan, but this is ridiculous. I was watching that game and was surprised that Abreu was even upset.

ya i just watched it and you're right, it's pretty ridiculous to suspend him over that. the time was called much too late and stopping his delivery at that point could cause injury. the problem is that he didn't really handle it correctly by walking all the way up to the plate. if he just goes back to the mound and the benches don't clear i doubt anyone even gives it a second thought.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby TLincecum55 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:54 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Suspended for 6 games for throwing at Bobby Abreu's head a couple days ago. Don't know yet if he's appealing.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Thats really stupid, he wasn't trying to throw at Bobby, the umpire called time WAYYYY too late. :-t
TLincecum55
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ndkarp » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Any thoughts on whether Buchholz will be called up? He struggled in his first start for Pawtucket. Actually as I am typing this I noticed this article:

Heading up the hurts is a pulled hamstring suffered by Pawtucket starter Clay Buchholz. He injured it during a workout.

Director of Player Development Mike Hazen, in Portland for one of his routine visits, did not think Buchholz would miss much time.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/sport ... 40687.html
ndkarp
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:19 pm

it was more for his aggressive reactions as the benches were clearing i think.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby walkoffblast » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:40 pm

This is ridiculous. Pretty soon half the pitchers in the league are going to be suspended if this is the case. Maybe MLB is trying to make some extra cash by cracking down on the up and in pitch. Blame the economy. West said he would not even have warned Beckett if the benches had not emptied. So MLB comes up with 6 games from video? I assume this is a token effort on mlb's part. They let the appeal go down to 3 to 4 games so beckett does not miss a start. If he does though it is total garbage.

BitterDodgerFan wrote:it was more for his aggressive reactions as the benches were clearing i think.

If you can get such a suspension for "aggressive acts" how did Scioscia, Hunter and Speier all not even get a single game and hatcher only one?

It just sends a bad message about overreactions and unfortunately we will see more of them if it means the league will decide to overrule the crew and punish the pitcher. Is this not illegal use of instant replay? I kid but there is clearly nothing conclusive about the footage we have access to. To me it even looks like while the pitch is inside it is tailing back away from abreu.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:42 pm

He's appealed so he won't be out until the appeal is heard (and if he loses).
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby smalls2598 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Rance Mulliniks wrote:He's appealed so he won't be out until the appeal is heard (and if he loses).

and it won't be heard until the Red Sox are in New York, which is beginning of May. So looks like he should be safe to start for the next few weeks, at least
smalls2598
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby angels7777 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:43 pm

apz wrote:What BS. They called time halfway through Beckett's windup, he makes an errant throw and gets suspended? I'm no Beckett fan, but this is ridiculous. I was watching that game and was surprised that Abreu was even upset.

you obviously don't know baseball.... no way a Major League pitcher goes through his entire wind up and ends up throwing a 90+ MPH fastball at a guy's head with no let up.... if you do not suspend him, you are setting a bad precedent for things to come...

even the East-coast biased ESPN crew agreed with Major League baseball on this one
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
OF- J. Uptn, Trout, Polanco
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
RP- Melancon, Smith, Hawkins
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates