Milledge sent to minors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Milledge sent to minors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Milledge sent to minors

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:50 am

It really depends on how Milledge reacts to the situation. He could be back quickly a la Francoeur 08 if he shuts his mouth and plays well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby neoforce » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:38 pm

kab21 wrote:
neoforce wrote:
2) I'm pretty sure they didn't just burn his "last option" with this move. A player who has options has them for the entire year and can be called up or sent down as many times as the team desires. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Leag ... ns#Options. Rob Meyer used to have a great transaction primer on espn at http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html, but I can't find it there now.

What they mean by burning his last option is that it doesn't make much sense to send him to the minors for two weeks using his last option and then call him back up for the rest of the season. If they're sending him to the minors the assumption is that he'll be there for at least a month.

But why? They can call him back up in 10 days. And then send him down again if they want.

I think they are trying to teach him something, so they might call him up as soon as the lesson is learned. Of course, they may think that takes a month. But if they decide it is learned in 10 days, they can bring him up then.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:50 pm

neoforce wrote:
But why? They can call him back up in 10 days. And then send him down again if they want.

I think they are trying to teach him something, so they might call him up as soon as the lesson is learned. Of course, they may think that takes a month. But if they decide it is learned in 10 days, they can bring him up then.

The point is that if they call him back up in 10 days and then keep him on the MLB roster all season they can't send him down next season. And they would have wasted the option for a ten day lesson.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 175)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Ouch. Had to reach for him as my starting CF in a 14 team league; now I'm stuck with no centerfielder and have to drop a quality player.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby neoforce » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:12 pm

kab21 wrote:
neoforce wrote:

The point is that if they call him back up in 10 days and then keep him on the MLB roster all season they can't send him down next season. And they would have wasted the option for a ten day lesson.

I guess I see your point, but in some ways my brain simply can't get around this. Or maybe I'm just thinking logically and it is clear that the Nats front office doesn't do that.

No matter how long he is down for, they have indeed lost the option year. That is a sunk cost, nothing they can do will get that cost back. So, if they think the lesson is learned, there is no reason to wait longer to call him up. But with the Nats who knows.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:39 pm

neoforce wrote:
I guess I see your point, but in some ways my brain simply can't get around this. Or maybe I'm just thinking logically and it is clear that the Nats front office doesn't do that.

No matter how long he is down for, they have indeed lost the option year. That is a sunk cost, nothing they can do will get that cost back. So, if they think the lesson is learned, there is no reason to wait longer to call him up. But with the Nats who knows.

It's a sunk cost now but during the decision making process it would have been a factor. And they likely developed a plan making sure that losing that option would be worth it. And by worth it maybe that means that he is in the minors for a considerable amount of time. Or maybe they really want to teach him a lesson and it's only a couple of weeks until Dukes/Johnson/Willingham/Kearns end up hurt/sucking.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 175)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers