100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Milledge sent to minors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Milledge sent to minors

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:03 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:Washington is CLEARLY the most mismanaged franchise in baseball.

This front office has no clue at all to as what they are doing.

Well according to a lot of reports that I've read, Milledge's attitude problem is out of control, he can't hit and he can't field right now. That he still has an option to be sent to AAA is a godsend for them. Whether he shows up at AAA or not is another issue.

Right now? He was barely above replacement level last year. He was below average at the plate and terrible in the field (although perhaps it's not his fault he was miscast in CF). He's got talent for sure, but it hasn't yet translated to the major league level.

Well in my book, playing barely above replacement level for 23 yo with a lot of raw talent is pretty good. He made some improvements last year that led to a lot of people believing in him as a major potential breakout player.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:30 pm

We haven't seen the last of Milledge, I do think he'll come back and have a decent season. But I seem to remember an argument about how 20/30 this season and that he was worth a 6-8th rd pick. I didn't think so.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:50 pm

I said with great certaintly that the Nats would let him play it out if he started slow and that there is no way he would be sent down. I guess I was wrong.

It is not insignificant that he is a big part of the Nats 2009 marketing campaign. He will be back soon and I stand by my assertion that the Nats crowded OF will work itself out after Johnson suffers his inevitable injury and Kearns continues to suck.

However, this is a franchise in total disaray with a manager whose head is on the chopping block, so maybe I should be saying that all bets are off at this point.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Doesn't surprise me at all. That said, it's a pretty idiotic move to me, and all of this started when they traded for Willingham who is as average as the next guy when they already had Dukes and Milledge who are the future of the franchise.

Dumb move, but all of this was caused by the Willingham trade which was stupid in the first place.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:07 pm

I really doubt he'll be back soon. Why burn his last option to send him down to AAA for 2-3 weeks?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 pm

the worst part is i spent my #3 waiver to claim him overnight just before he was sent down. :~(
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:48 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:the worst part is i spent my #3 waiver to claim him overnight just before he was sent down. :~(

i have a claim in for him, but it's a very deep league and i need all the help i can get (took over for an owner who autodrafted and backed out after his team sucked). hopefully he will be back soon
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby neoforce » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:04 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:I really doubt he'll be back soon. Why burn his last option to send him down to AAA for 2-3 weeks?

I'm confused... Does anyone know the rules for sending players down? Two main questions:

1) How soon can they call him back up? That one I can't find information about anywhere

2) I'm pretty sure they didn't just burn his "last option" with this move. A player who has options has them for the entire year and can be called up or sent down as many times as the team desires. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Leag ... ns#Options. Rob Meyer used to have a great transaction primer on espn at http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html, but I can't find it there now.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby neoforce » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:08 am

Found a different primer on transactions at http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=75 and answered my own questions:

within an option season, there is no limit on the number of times a club may demote and recall a player. However, a player optioned to the minor leagues may not be recalled for at least 10 days, unless the club places a Major League player on the disabled list during the 10-day window.

So, if there is no injury to someone else on the Nationals who is put on the DL, Milledge can't be called back up for 10 days.

But since he is in options, the Nats can call him up and demote him as many times as they want to, as I thought.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:46 am

neoforce wrote:
2) I'm pretty sure they didn't just burn his "last option" with this move. A player who has options has them for the entire year and can be called up or sent down as many times as the team desires. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Leag ... ns#Options. Rob Meyer used to have a great transaction primer on espn at http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html, but I can't find it there now.

What they mean by burning his last option is that it doesn't make much sense to send him to the minors for two weeks using his last option and then call him back up for the rest of the season. If they're sending him to the minors the assumption is that he'll be there for at least a month.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers