Vengeful or Stupid? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vengeful or Stupid?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tool069c » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:26 pm

titanut wrote:I guess I am naive, but I don't waste my time making trade offers
that have(or should have) no chance of being accepted. I look to
offer a trade that helps the other owner and also helps me. Of course, I want to win, but my definition of winning is different than
many. If my team is better after the trade, I won. I don't want his
team to be worse, just make mine better. As a result, many of my
trades get accepted. Am I always right, no, but most of the time I
am.

I agree 100%....I offer deals and look at what I'm getting in the deal, ot what Im giving up. If I have 2 Great 1st baseman and a horrible SS, I may get a player not as good overal. But having a great 1B on my bcnh doesnt help me, and having a horrible SS in my lineup everyday, can kill you. So I guess I may not get the best player in the deal, but if it helps my team, then what can you say...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

9er Fan wrote:Heh. No offense, but your trade offers are pretty rediculous. Lots of owners get pissed off when you lowball them. They feel like you are insulting their intelligence.

Your comment: "I know this isn't a good offer, but I wanted to see if he would bite" is not the kind of thinking that will lead to lots of trades being made in your league.

W/ him though too, he may have an inflated sense of positional scarcity 'inflating' his perceived values, like 'Furcal's a top 5 Shortstop, what the hell? Beckett's barely in the top 20 as a SP. And relievers are A LOT harder to come by than SP so what gives w/ not wanting Mantei?" If he has an inkling that you NEED these positions, he's not totally whacked for thinking you'd 'give up' some absolute value to make up for the 'positional surplus' at the positions you are trading.

Another possibility might be like in our group, who don't necessarily get 'pissed' but stupid trade offers became kind of an artistic form of trash talking last year. It kind of prevented trading from being as useful a tool as it could have been but made for a lot of fun!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers