New to Fantasy Baseball...Help Needed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

New to Fantasy Baseball...Help Needed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to Fantasy Baseball...Help Needed

Postby Dayblade37 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:08 pm

MSN Head to Head league I won my first week matchup but it was close any ideas how to improve? From the first week scores it seems that as long as your pitching isnt terrible you can win with hitting alone. every hit they give up loses a point so i dont see how having a ton of great pitchers to be a huge advantage....i could be wrong o well...

League Rules--- 12 team head to head most points wins
Scoring System (Batting) HR-5 points, RBI-1 point, Run Scored-1 point, SB-1 point, Single-1 point, Double-2 points, Triple-3 points, Walk-1 point, Strikout-minus 1 point, caught stealing-minus 1 point
BATTERS
C - Y.Molina (C)
1B - M.Cabrera (1B,3B)
2B - J.Lopez (2B,1B)
3B - G.Atkins (3B,1B)
SS - M.Young (3B, SS)
IF - A.Gonzalez (1B)
OF - B.Hawpe (OF)
OF - C.Beltran (OF)
OF - N.Cruz (OF)
OF - B.Giles (OF)
U - A.Huff (DH,3B,1B)
BN - O.Cabrera (SS)
BN - M.Lowell (3B)
BN - A. Hill (2B)
BN - J.Saltalamacchia (C)

Scoring System (Pitching)-- IP-1 point, W-5 points, L- minus 2 points, SV- 2 points, K-1 point, Hits Allowed - minus 1 point, BB - minus 1 point, ER- minus 1 point, Blown Save- minus 1 point, Complete Game - 5 points
Pitchers
SP - J.Vazquez
SP - C.Zambrano
SP - J.Peavy
RP - R.Franklin
RP - F.Francisco
P - F.Hernandez
P - M.Garza
BN - J.Blanton (SP)
BN - W.Rodriguez (SP)
Dayblade37
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to Fantasy Baseball...Help Needed

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:02 am

I've never played with a points system like this, but I think you're right. The walks and hits wipe out the ip points and more for virtually any starter. Just thinking about a hypothetical start, 7 ip, 9 bb+hits, 3 runs, 6 k. Total points from that are 7-9-3+6=1. So you're getting almost nothing out of that unless you get a win, and that's not an awful performance (1.29 whip, 3.86 era for the game). When there's so little to gain, why even hold on to Blanton? Blanton's on a good team, but the lack of strikeouts will (I'd think) make up for any help that gives in W-L. I can't imagine he'd be worth anything in that point system, but maybe I'm missing something. I would think a lot of pitchers would average close to zero points. Odd system.

I like your hitters, but again, this points system is new to me, so it's hard for me to tell.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team