Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:51 pm

thedude wrote:For the middleaged guys, Santana is the front runner. I would say chances are pretty good that he makes it.

Other possibilities include:
Sabathia,
Oswalt,
Halladay
Webb
Peavy
Beckett


Peavy, Webb and Beckett (especially Beckett) need to add some more to their resumes before they can start thinking about the hall of fame.


Yeah, I really like the Beckett call. He already has 2 WS championships and he was the most valuable pitcher in both WS. I still remember him mowing down Yankees with Florida while hitting 101 mph in the 7th inning no less. He was feeling it! He is kinda of like John Smoltz imo as he was the team's best postseason pitcher but Beckett still needs to win a Cy Young.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8478
(Past Year: 107)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Of the guys around 30 or so:

Johan's almost a dead lock, assuming he doesn't get hurt in the next year or two. i'd say with 2 more great seasons he's a lock.
career W/L better than 2/1
2 unanimouns Cys
5 straight 200 K seasons (including one with 265 K)
5 seasons with an ERA under 3

add a couple more great years to that (including maybe a Cy) and I don't see how he isn't in the hall.

I think Halladay's got a pretty good shot if he puts up say, 5 more solid years or so (he hasn't been anywhere near Johan in terms of dominance, especially when it comes to Ks).

Sabathia has a long long way to go. He's only had a couple of even good years so far (including a ridiculous year last year). Furthermore, I don't see him getting in because I think he needs 7-8 more good to great years to get in, and it'll be tough for him to do that unless he gets into better shape.

Oswalt- maybe, if he hangs around until he's 40. Doesn't sound like he wants to do that though
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1348
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:The current best pitchers really need to do something in the postseason to bump up their odds. Halladay has never thrown a game in the playoffs, Johan has been a non-factor, CC has been terrible, Oswalt was good in the 2005 NLCS and hasn't been in a few years, and both Webb/Peavy haven't done anything. Not that it's their fault but it's a bit funny how pitching wins championships and all of the best and well established pitchers in the game today are never there.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying it's so flawed that one month out of a year can make or break a HoFer. Really? The fact that Johan's team has always sucked should prevent him from being acknowledged as dominant? On the same note, the fact that Schilling got hot every october means he's a first ballot HoFer?


If Schilling didn't always run his mouth, I'm pretty sure the HOF voters would make him first ballot based on postseason success. I was saying that as of now, the current elite starters still have a long way to go before their names are always preceded by "Future HOFer" like RJ, Pedro, Glavine, Smoltz, etc are. I don't see how you can't possibly recognize how much October success plays a role in HOF candidacy. Johan has been the best starter in baseball for five years now and even he will need to do much more before he becomes as obvious as the other guys mentioned. If Johan already went deep into the postseason multiple times, I would assume his formula odds would make it pretty close to inevitable as long as he keeps pitching at a high level for a few more years.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6579
(Past Year: 78)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:12 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
If Schilling didn't always run his mouth, I'm pretty sure the HOF voters would make him first ballot based on postseason success.



The media does hate Schilling though.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 90)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby ukrneal » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:22 am

I'm surprised at how much weight some give to post-season perfromance. For me it is just icing on the cake and has little to no impact on the HOF decision.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2322
Joined: 29 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Postseason success certainly contributes. At the very least it would be the tie-breaker if you have someone on the edge of the HoF. If Schilling does get in, it will be because of his postseason success.

I didn't mention Pedro Martinez because he is not currently active (and probably finished), but I would say he is the most like Koufax since Koufax. Lights out for about 9 seasons. Had an ERA+ of 200 or more 5 times in the 9 year span. There's only been about 40 different seasons of 200+ ERA+ in history. That is incredible.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 668
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:20 pm

ukrneal wrote:I'm surprised at how much weight some give to post-season perfromance. For me it is just icing on the cake and has little to no impact on the HOF decision.


I always assume the media loves guys who came up big in October but all of the greats from the previous generation like Pedro, Maddux, Smoltz, RJ, Glavine, etc. won at least one world series and went deep into the postseason a ton of times so it doesn't really matter. Combining Johan's regular season and Beckett's postseason numbers is basically what all of those guys have at minimum.

I don't think postseason success should play a massive role either but if we're discussing the no doubters only, that's when October numbers come into play.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6579
(Past Year: 78)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby Saltydog » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Andy Petitte
Mark Buehrle

Scott Kazmir will be on this list in about 2 more years, unless he has something horrific happen.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 755
(Past Year: 149)
Joined: 4 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:21 am

Saltydog wrote:Andy Petitte
Mark Buehrle

Scott Kazmir will be on this list in about 2 more years, unless he has something horrific happen.


I hope Pettitte doesn't make it. he simply doesn't deserve to get in, but he might get it because he's got a bunch of rings. I also find it funny about Pettitte that he has a higher postseason ERA than regular season ERA. His W/L % is also better in the regular season than the postseason. It's funny how the media blows this crap out of proportion; I've always heard that Pettitte is an "October pitcher".
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1348
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby auclairkeithbc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:31 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Saltydog wrote:Andy Petitte
Mark Buehrle

Scott Kazmir will be on this list in about 2 more years, unless he has something horrific happen.


I hope Pettitte doesn't make it. he simply doesn't deserve to get in, but he might get it because he's got a bunch of rings. I also find it funny about Pettitte that he has a higher postseason ERA than regular season ERA. His W/L % is also better in the regular season than the postseason. It's funny how the media blows this crap out of proportion; I've always heard that Pettitte is an "October pitcher".


Yeah those 2 will not make the hall. If they make it, then clear some room for Derek Lowe.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3181
Joined: 5 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: myrati3 and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Arizona at Chi Cubs
(12:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(2:20 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(3:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(3:35 pm)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at Toronto
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Baltimore
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact