Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which if any current pitcher makes the HOF?

Postby cordscords » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Oswalt has the intention of retiring when his contract is up at the end of 2011. He had his fun, made his money, and just wants to enjoy simple life on the farm. Sadly I doubt he makes it.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:51 pm

cordscords wrote:Oswalt has the intention of retiring when his contract is up at the end of 2011. He had his fun, made his money, and just wants to enjoy simple life on the farm. Sadly I doubt he makes it.

He doesn't want to win a World Series?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:00 pm

cordscords wrote:Oswalt has the intention of retiring when his contract is up at the end of 2011. He had his fun, made his money, and just wants to enjoy simple life on the farm. Sadly I doubt he makes it.

We'll see about that one. I doubt he retires then if he is still a legit #1 pitcher.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:05 pm

The current best pitchers really need to do something in the postseason to bump up their odds. Halladay has never thrown a game in the playoffs, Johan has been a non-factor, CC has been terrible, Oswalt was good in the 2005 NLCS and hasn't been in a few years, and both Webb/Peavy haven't done anything. Not that it's their fault but it's a bit funny how pitching wins championships and all of the best and well established pitchers in the game today are never there.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby CadensDad » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:19 pm

And where is a link to this info? I've never heard something like this

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:26 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:The current best pitchers really need to do something in the postseason to bump up their odds. Halladay has never thrown a game in the playoffs, Johan has been a non-factor, CC has been terrible, Oswalt was good in the 2005 NLCS and hasn't been in a few years, and both Webb/Peavy haven't done anything. Not that it's their fault but it's a bit funny how pitching wins championships and all of the best and well established pitchers in the game today are never there.

good point. josh beckett has a better chance than his regular season numbers would suggest. a loooong way to go, but he has better postseason numbers than most great pitchers will have at the end of their careers, and he'll be in the postseason a lot more if he stays productive with the red sox.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cordscords » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:42 pm

CadensDad wrote:

And where is a link to this info? I've never heard something like this

http://www.kffl.com/player/4874/MLB

Astros | Oswalt says he'll retire after 2011
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:34:33 -0800

Astros.MLB.com's Alyson Footer reports Houston Astros SP Roy Oswalt plans to retire after his contract expires after the 2011 season.

Right after he signed the contract back in 2006 he even said that was his plan, but I cant find that link. He's been saying this for awhile now.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Tavish » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:45 pm

mweir145 wrote:
thatdamtom wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Johan Santana:
Hall of Fame Monitor Pitching - 72 (158), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards Pitching - 36 (89), Average HOFer ≈ 50

Roy Halladay:
Hall of Fame Monitor Pitching - 73 (156), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards Pitching - 31 (133), Average HOFer ≈ 50

Roy Oswalt:
Hall of Fame Monitor Pitching - 55 (225), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards Pitching - 32 (125), Average HOFer ≈ 50

CC Sabathia:
Hall of Fame Monitor Pitching - 47 (277), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards Pitching - 21 (264), Average HOFer ≈ 50

What does that mean?

My bad: http://www.baseball-reference.com/about ... of_monitor

Basically, these guys still have a long way to go.

Lucky for them they are all still relatively young. I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 of them made the Standards average since they have all just recently reached the milestones where it starts scoring the accumlative stats (100 wins 1000 Ks, 1000 IPs). The Monitor might be even easier. Getting into the 225+ wins area and 3000Ks should get all of them over the average. Sure they have some work left to do, but considering the oldest of the group is 32 and CC is 28, I think they all have a very good shot at beating those metrics. Whether it will get them in or not is another story.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Nerfherders » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera will make the HoF. Smoltz, Glavine, and probably Randy Johnson.

As for the young guys, its very hard to predict, Sabathia has a ton of wins for his age, so he has a chance. Santana just needs to keep doing what he's doing for another 7-10 years. Same with Halladay. Oswalt will need alot of counting stats because he has generally not been as dominant as the others. Very hard to predict pitching HoF because it's all about longevity. Doc Gooden was perhaps the best pitcher of the 1980's but he only played at that level for about 8 seasons. You have to have Koufax-like numbers - which is basically being lights out - if you want to make the HoF with anything less than 15 full seasons.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby foeplay » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Cole Hamels, obviously.
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers