Evan Longoria - 100 HR? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Evan Longoria - 100 HR?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Evan Longoria - 100 HR?

Postby jcde7ago » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:34 am

To throw a curveball in this thread, who would you rather own: David Wright, or Evan Almighty? I've been struggling with this question, especially in keeper leagues...do you go for the proven, 30-30 talent in Wright, or would you rather have the slightly younger, perhaps a bit more powerful Longoria?

I asked myself this and I honestly couldn't decide...it's hard to take an elite talent over an elite, proven one but Longoria definitely makes this decision extremely difficult IMO. Maybe Wright, but not by much. :-°
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 am

jcde7ago wrote:To throw a curveball in this thread, who would you rather own: David Wright, or Evan Almighty? I've been struggling with this question, especially in keeper leagues...do you go for the proven, 30-30 talent in Wright, or would you rather have the slightly younger, perhaps a bit more powerful Longoria?

I asked myself this and I honestly couldn't decide...it's hard to take an elite talent over an elite, proven one but Longoria definitely makes this decision extremely difficult IMO. Maybe Wright, but not by much. :-°

Wright. Wright has proven he will steal 25 bases, he has proven that he can sustain a .310+ BA. Longoria does not have 20 SB speed, nor has he proven that he will be a .300 hitter. Sure he has the talent and potential to put it altogether and bat .310, but you can't pass up top 5 talent.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:07 pm

aardvarks wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Evan Longoria + Matt Wieters = fantasy championship every year for the next 15 years!!!!

I won 9-1 this week. thanks Evan.

Longoria pitches too? 8-o :-D

now this is all rumors and conjecture, so don't take my word for it... but I'm pretty sure that he has been going to seattle every 5th day and dressing up as erik bedard, pitching a gem and then heading back to tampa..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby jcde7ago » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:31 am

Heads up guys, this is per Rotoworld:

Evan Longoria is slated to miss the Rays' next two games to attend to a family matter.
Willy Aybar will likely start at third base both days before Longoria rejoins the club on Friday. Apr. 15 - 1:15 am et
Source: St. Petersburg Times

Set your lineups accordingly for the next 2 days.
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:41 am

Old_Style wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:
The_Natural wrote:I don't think he can be considered great until he hits 3 hr's in a game.

3 hr's in a game is more luck than great.

More like impossible.

Didn't Brian Roberts hit 3 hr's in a game or is that just Urban Legend? I always thought it was pretty much un-doable
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:28 am

urbanbreez wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:
3 hr's in a game is more luck than great.

More like impossible.

Didn't Brian Roberts hit 3 hr's in a game or is that just Urban Legend? I always thought it was pretty much un-doable

That would be correct. Never been done.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:40 am

100 won't be enough to take the HR crown from Nick Swisher.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby auclairkeithbc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:24 am

j24jags wrote:
jcde7ago wrote:To throw a curveball in this thread, who would you rather own: David Wright, or Evan Almighty? I've been struggling with this question, especially in keeper leagues...do you go for the proven, 30-30 talent in Wright, or would you rather have the slightly younger, perhaps a bit more powerful Longoria?

Wright. Wright has proven he will steal 25 bases, he has proven that he can sustain a .310+ BA. Longoria does not have 20 SB speed, nor has he proven that he will be a .300 hitter. Sure he has the talent and potential to put it altogether and bat .310, but you can't pass up top 5 talent.

Totally agree, and I am an Evan owner that is pretty high on him. The thing is, how much better than David Wright can you possibly expect Evan to be? Maybe Evan breaks out and becomes the consensus #3 pick, and Wright ends up as the consensus #4 or #5. Eh. But if Longoria has a longer learning curve, or just tops out somewhere before our highest dreams, he is going to be several rounds less valuable.

Wright is one of several players that you definitely move Longoria for no questions asked (other than "Is Wright hurt?"). I think it is totally fair to keep Longoria over the Brauns/Sizemores/Teixeiras of the world though. It might not work out for you, but it wouldn't be categorically dumb.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Speaking of curveball's... If pitchers would just throw him a couple CB's he wouldn't be dominating the world right now. He rarely drives offspeed stuff for much power. I know he hit a slider out vs the O's to left, but it probably only went about 340 feet. A pop up in damn near every other park.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby smalls2598 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Per Rotoworld: Evan Longoria is slated to miss the Rays' next two games to attend to a family matter.

Hmm, looks like he's gonna have to string a few 2 homer games in order to make it to 100. Or maybe he could be the first ever to hit 3 in a game? 8-o
smalls2598
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers