Opening Day Sig Contest Results - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Contests and Showing Off

Opening Day Sig Contest Results

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

Opening Day Sig Contest Results

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Congrats to WickedSmaat for winning the 2009 Opening Day Sig Contest. Also, thanks to all the other contributors and contestants for their time and efforts. Well done fellas.

First Place
E: WickedSmaat, 36 Votes

Second Place
I: mac-unit, 31 Votes

Third Place
G: RedWoodTree, 25 Votes

Fourth Place
C: the ROC, 19 Votes

Fifth Place
D: rookies and cream, 17 Votes

Sixth Place
F: smoovethug, 10 Votes

Seventh Place
B: AussieDodger, 9 Votes

Eighth Place (tie)
A: Soty, 2 Votes

H: RyanK, 2 Votes

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Opening Day Sig Contest Results

Postby soty » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Congrats WickedSmaat. Nice job to everyone else. Mine wasnt the greatest I threw it together quick just to get it in. I will have a much better showing next time around. Nice to see some newer artists around here too. ;-D
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby smoovethug » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Congrats Wicked. ;-D

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks guys, I friggen love RWT's just smooth ;D

I think smoove's was a bit underrated too but it really was a solid showing all the way around guys ;D
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:07 am

I must have different taste in sigs to everyone else, I really didn't like the 1st and 2nd placers (no offense guys).

:-S
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby the ROC » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:36 am

AussieDodger wrote:I must have different taste in sigs to everyone else, I really didn't like the 1st and 2nd placers (no offense guys).

i agree. i thought 1st place was disorganized, and was a jumble behind price, and it seems like a line cuts the sig in half. 2nd place seemed pretty ordinary, not exactly sure what set it apart.

not trying to bash anyone.

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Postby Idahofan1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:54 am

For me, the Price one is the winner because of complexity as much as anything else. No offense to anybody at all in this contest, but wicked is, well, wicked with photoshop. I don't think anyone else could produce those kind of effects or do the text that well. At the same time, I still find it to look organized and have the focus be on Price, so it isn't just throwing effects on a canvas. Really well done.
Idahofan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: GM headquarters of the Rubber game's brooklyn dodgers

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:09 am

AussieDodger wrote:I must have different taste in sigs to everyone else, I really didn't like the 1st and 2nd placers (no offense guys).

based on your sigs, i think its pretty clear that you have a different "taste" in sigs. :-D

the two surprises to me were mac-unit's upton, and smoove's porcello.

the upton was very well done but looked very typical and blah to me.

smoove's porcello was well done, but was a little boring which i guess is why it didnt garner much attention.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedWoodTree824 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks Snakes for putting this together... Also Thanks WS and others for the compliments. Third place isn't all that bad.

As far as the discussion for the Sigs: WS's sig was the clear cut winner. Taste Schmaste - All of Wicked's sigs take a high degree of knowledge and application of photoshop effects, and the outcomes are unlike any other here at the cafe. Back when we had SD, Bo, Leal, CoG, Rodigee and others - Wicked had some serious competition... not so much anymore (I would have liked to see DevilDriver and h0rt in this tourny) The Price sig is not his best work ever but its very good.

Soty - don't worry about the votes man... You've been getting better and better.

I'd like to also echo many other's sentiment that Smoove got robbed. The one thing our contests lack during voting is the incorporating degree of difficulty to make the sig. Just as I look through the voting thread and analyze where the votes come from, It's obvious that most of the photoshop "experts" tend to appreciate a more difficult effect to pull off. And yes, before it's said, difficult doesn't always mean best looking... but if you look at a sig and say "Wow how the hell did he do that?" vs. "O I C WAT U DID THAR"... the harder sig is more impressive.

It takes time and experience... I say we all practice up so next time we can kick Wicked's ass. :-]
Last edited by RedWoodTree824 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:17 pm

RedWoodTree824 wrote:
As far as the discussion for the Sigs: WS's sig was the clear cut winner. Taste Schmaste - All of Wicked's sigs take a high degree of knowledge and application of photoshop effects, and the outcomes are unlike any other than anyone can produce here at the cafe. The Price sig is not his best work ever but its very good.

Couldn't disagree more.

To me, looks good/is fun >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hard to make

Maybe all you photoshop snobs need your own Degree Of Difficulty Championship, where you smudge and light effect and have a picture of someone's leg in an inappropriate place each other to the death! :-D :-D :-D ;-)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Contests and Showing Off