Dexter Fowler - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dexter Fowler

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dexter Fowler

Postby chem » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:39 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
chem wrote:Amusingly, I was going to bench him this week (weekly lineup locks), but word on Tulo sitting for a couple of days forced me to shuffle things a bit and Fowler ended up starting for me.

Uh, looks good. And our league doesn't even count SB. I imagine he'll keep the leadoff spot until he goes into a strikeout slump (if that even happens... yeesh).

What was his K:BB ratio like in the minors?

So far on the season it's a very respectable 8:7 (including his 2 BB's tonight).

Pretty close to that in 2008 in the minors:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... wler002wil
89:65
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:51 pm

His minor league SB/CS ratio wasn't too good, so I've been really impressed with it in the early season. I believe after tonight it's 10/1.

Fowler is blooming into a star before our very eyes. He's got the personality, the charisma, and obviously, he can play a little bit. I hope he is a mainstay in the leadoff spot and center field for the Rockies for many years to come. ;-D
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thatguy27 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:04 am

Irish wrote:I don't see the power to compare him to Braun or Longoria, but he's really starting to remind me of Matt Kemp....

Oh I agree completely. I'm not comparing him to them in terms of player type but more in terms of their meteoric rise to superstardom. I'm just wondering if Fowler has the tools to become a household name as quickly as they did.

Is Carl Crawford a good comparison in terms of type?
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby BUCCOFAN » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:26 am

jorwoods wrote:I have to say I'm REALLY surprised that the Cafe has talked so little about Fowler.

4 SB's tonight in 2 AB's ;-D

Jason Gray also had an article about him today on ESPN. If you were thinking about snagging him...better do it now!

Its been like that all pre-season and Spring Training.....completely no love for the guy on these boards......I guess it took a 5SB night to get some love..... :-] Thank God I had him in my keeper auction league for $3 this season, BOOOOOO-YAAAAA!!! :-b
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)

Postby hybrid » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:01 am

thatguy27 wrote:
Irish wrote:I don't see the power to compare him to Braun or Longoria, but he's really starting to remind me of Matt Kemp....

Oh I agree completely. I'm not comparing him to them in terms of player type but more in terms of their meteoric rise to superstardom. I'm just wondering if Fowler has the tools to become a household name as quickly as they did.

Is Carl Crawford a good comparison in terms of type?

Crawford isn't the best comparison due to hitting approach, Fowler is superior already to Crawford by a good margin. Crawford gets by on his talent cause well, he has a lot of it. Fowler has the talent and has the head to grow more as a player, and it shows. That's the hardest part to ever judge as far as player and prospects go IMO, and Fowler seems to have it.

Could he make a fast rise to stardom? Sure he could, not likely just as far as percentages go though as it is still very rare. He has the head for it, but his body I think still needs to develope more otherwise the pop will be a bit limited short term. Just makes it a bit harder to reach "stardom" if you're more an avg/speed guy.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:06 am

BUCCOFAN wrote:
jorwoods wrote:I have to say I'm REALLY surprised that the Cafe has talked so little about Fowler.

Jason Gray also had an article about him today on ESPN. If you were thinking about snagging him...better do it now!

Its been like that all pre-season and Spring Training.....completely no love for the guy on these boards......I guess it took a 5SB night to get some love..... :-] Thank God I had him in my keeper auction league for $3 this season, BOOOOOO-YAAAAA!!! :-b

I've been hyping him since before he got called up this year. :^ I also used the Crawford comparison, but Fowler's BB/K rates are miles ahead of Crawford's so I think he can be even better.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:10 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
BUCCOFAN wrote:

I've been hyping him since before he got called up this year. :^ I also used the Crawford comparison, but Fowler's BB/K rates are miles ahead of Crawford's so I think he can be even better.

;-D
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:26 am

If he can ever grow into that lanky body of his he just might be a top 10 OF.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:35 am

Is there room on this train for the Bonafacio passengers? :-D
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:15 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
BUCCOFAN wrote:

I just nabbed Fowler off FA and now im gonna try and flip Crawford for a starter bc their value may end up being similar at seasons end, minus runs scored id imagine.

Could a Jacoby Ellsbury comparison be in line here? Thats where im picturing Fowlers upside to be. B-)
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel