Dexter Fowler - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dexter Fowler

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dexter Fowler

Postby prateem » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:06 pm

I posted some questions about him in the draft, trade, waivers forum, but apparently its not getting any love. But i prefer the leftovers crowd more anyways. So anyone have any insight on him. Brendan Roberts for ESPN basically goes ahead and tell people to roster him and CBS has some good words about him too. Yet, I really havent heard much about him anyways. As far as prospects, its all Upton, Maybin, Weiters, Hanson, Price, etc. Yet here is a supposed stud up to start the season platooning and most likely going to gain more and more PT. Anyone seen him play, follow the Rockies, etc. Here is what Brendan Roberts wrote -

• Dexter Fowler, OF, Rockies: Get this guy on your roster. I'm not talking about NL-only leagues, I'm not talking about deep-mixed leagues; I'm talking about all leagues. Fowler ranks in the top 20 on most experts' prospect lists, and No. 12 in Jason Grey's Top 100 prospects for 2009. He has legit five-category fantasy potential, and lemme tell ya, he won't remain a fourth outfielder for long. He started Wednesday and homered in his first at-bat. The switch-hitter doesn't have much pop from the left side, but he does so much on defense and on the basepaths that he still deserves to start. He's the future of the Rockies, and it's apparent the team already realizes that. Let's just say he's not here to sit and watch.

Lets discuss
prateem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dexter Fowler

Postby Ender » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:34 pm

I picked him up in my 14 team relatively deep roster H2H league but for more standard roto leagues i think he is a pass unless you are the type of person who can play daily and sit and check lineups every single day and you hedge him with smith. I just don't see him playing every day until around mid season.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby fbc_fan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:36 am

i also have him stashed in a really deep 12 team league. was hoping he'd play everyday right off the bat, but i wasn't holding my breath. i'd say ender's midseason prediction is pretty good, unless the rockies make a trade to open up some more time for him.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ReincarnatedIntoCansecoBiceps » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:55 am

Enough with the peripherals. I think a person's opinion about a player should have a mandatory stat line prediction for him. Saying he'll be "good" or "solid" is relative to your leagues. What numbers do you think he's going to produce and let the reader determine if he's solid or good.

I picked him up as a 5th outfielder in my league in aspirations he'll hit at least .280 with +20 SBs and +90 runs. But I honestly have no idea what to expect.
ReincarnatedIntoCansecoBiceps
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AllDay » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:48 am

If he plays everyday then he should be solid. Sounds like they will use him high in the order so he should be good for runs and SB's with possible Coors aided pop.

Until he plays everyday and produces I gotta hold off in leagues with 300+ rostered players.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bryan1327 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:38 pm

Picked him up in my keeper/dynasty league. I truly feel he will become a solid 5 tool player that i can stick in my line up for many seasons to come
"I am a shining example...of what you never wanna be" TESLA '04
bryan1327
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: at home listening to hair metal...scouring the internet for baseball stuff

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:00 pm

does he have much power?
last season at AA in 108 games he had 9 HR. in 2007 at A+ in 65 games he had 2 HR. in 2006 at A in 99 games he had 8 HR. so whats his ceiling with Colorado? maybe 15? im not sure i would predict breakout this season, but he looks to be good for the future.
eventually down the road, comparible to Carl Crawford?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:41 pm

Love this guy. Last year in the minors, he posted a .946 OPS as a speedy leadoff hitter (.335/.431/.515), and put up a 65/89 BB/K ratio in 505 PA. Given consistent playing time, he'll post up a 13/30 pace and help your AVG and runs.

500 AB: .290 AVG, 83 R, 10 HR, 45 RBI, 23 SB (4th/5th OF numbers)
650 AB (full season pace): .290 AVG, 108 R, 13 HR, 58 RBI, 30 SB (3rd OF numbers)
500 AB + 150 AB of replacement OF: .283 AVG, 98 R, 13 HR, 60 RBI, 25 SB (replacement OF = .267/65/12/65/10)

He won't get those 650 AB, but if you play him right, he can be Fred Lewis+ this year, and if you play him excellently he should be a top value pickup. Of course, if you just pick him up and let him sit in your starting lineup every day you won't get much out of him. But down the road, SpecialFNK is right on with the Craw comparison.

For 2010 or 2011 he has a reasonable shot at .305/.370/.475 with 110/17/65/42 in the counting stats...very Crawford-esque at best and Victorino+ at worst. Fowler had more power in the minors (.452 SLG to Craw's .400) and better BB/K rates (11.8%/23.6% to Craw's 5.4%/17.7%), and Fowler should get a ton of doubles and triples in spacious Coors. Craw, however, had a better SB rate (77% to 68%), so that's one thing Dexter needs to work on.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Dex hit his second home run of the year this afternoon. ;-D I've been very impressed with him thus far, and with Seth Smith struggling, I'd advocate for him to be in the lineup everyday.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby yaboygino » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:31 pm

Just homered again for his 2nd on the year! I thought u guys said this guy has no power?
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers