Vetoable? Halladay for Braun? PLEASE HELP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Vetoable? Halladay for Braun? PLEASE HELP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vetoable? Halladay for Braun? PLEASE HELP

Postby javens » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:05 pm

I made a league poll and 7 people voted against the trade within the first day of the poll being made, 2 people (the people who did the trade), voted that is was fair. I need your guy's help because this is starting a lot of controversy, both owners are livid that this trade is not being accepted. I believe that this trade is extremely unfair (its an early 3rd round pick for a 1st round pick).

One other thing that makes me wary of this trade, is that the person trading away Ryan Braun is in his first year with us, I don't know if he has any past fantasy baseball experience. He chose to have his team auto drafted and says he never would have drafted Braun had he been there.

Please help me out.
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Vetoable? Halladay for Braun? PLEASE HELP

Postby Diamond Miners » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:09 pm

hard to say without know the setup of your league. In my H2H points league, Halladay could score just as more if not more points then Braun could.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Carnac » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Roy Halladay the pitcher? That's what it sounds like to me. Stud hitter for stud pitcher. Not veto worthy. What are their rosters? Does the team trading Braun need pitching? If so, he may feel he is improving his team.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jonboy418 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:11 pm

Definately not vetoable.

Braun has the injury bug surrounding him and will probably have that lite stigma all season. That could be enough for this owner to devalue him that much more. He might value pitching more than batting. There's a world of easy answers to this trade and none of them involve collusion or cheating. Could he have gotten more for Braun? Yeah, probably. He won't be a salesman for my comapny. But it's not your duty as commissioner to prevent managers from making stupid moves.

At the end of the day, both players have value and a top 5 talent at their respective position. The draft is over, the seaosn has begun.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby converge241 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:18 am

While I would rather have Braun, this is no way vetoable.

Not sure about your scoring system but just based on 5x5 for example Halladay outranked Braun for fantasy contributions. I would rather have the hitter in general but this is an ace hes getting.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 121)

Postby beezer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:19 am

NOT vetoable. I have had the same problem in my league in the past with an inexperienced owner, and it is difficult situation. That being said, it's not like the newbie is trading Pujols for Braden Looper!! Braun for Halladay is as even as it gets, at least in my league, especially if the team getting Halladay needs pitching. A lot depends on the set up of your league. Halladay will probably score more points in my league than Braun.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Knights » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:56 am

No way this can be vetoed. You can't look at draft position to determine the validity of trades. Maybe the guy drafted Braun early, but after the draft felt comfortable with his OF and wanted to bulk up his SP. THis trade needs to be allowed.
Knights
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:27 pm

javens wrote:One other thing that makes me wary of this trade, is that the person trading away Ryan Braun is in his first year with us, I don't know if he has any past fantasy baseball experience. He chose to have his team auto drafted and says he never would have drafted Braun had he been there.

Talk to him and figure out if he knows what he's doing. If he does, let it slide. If he doesn't, then get him up to speed and then see if he wants to do the trade. If he still does, then whatev's.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ABA316 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:23 am

No veto. Period.

As people stated before this is a fairly even trade to begin with..plus Braun has the injury issue lingering.

For instance, Yahoo has Braun rated #676 and Halladay #106. Will that continue all year? Doubt it but just another way to look at it.

What if the Braun owner has tons of hitting and needs SP? I had to trade away David Wright to get a package including Curt Schilling in a league before. Didn't want to do it but needed the SP so badly. Every owner of a "top" SP told me no when I tried to trade. Best offer I got was from someone who had Pedro and Halladay who was playing some wire guy at 3b that he would give me John Patterson (who was already on the DL and didn't pitch all year).
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:02 pm

Not even close to being veto worthy.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)