Rate my team: Leftovers trying to play spoiler - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate my team: Leftovers trying to play spoiler

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my team: Leftovers trying to play spoiler

Postby corpcow » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:13 am

My dad has been running a fantasy baseball league since 1980 or something, with a bunch of his friends. I was in the league for a few years in my early teens, but I don't follow baseball much anymore. The league itself is an auction league, with keepers being kept for $4 more than the previous year. It's also a total points league instead of head-to-head. The way the FA stuff works, you can't make any moves (even with injuries) if you run out of money.

My dad is running an experiment this year, trying to bring these guys to use an online league, switch to H2H format, and to be a little more liberal with the moves. So, he took the same teams that were drafted and put them online... and since there are only 9 teams in the league, he asked me if I wanted to pick up the final team.

The challenge, of course, is that I'm basically picking up from the leftovers - all of these teams already have a full roster, including backups. In theory, I should lose every single game... but by playing the wire I think I can compete. It's a big matter of pride, having known all of these guys for most of my life.

If this was football, I would be confident I could put together a competitive team, but no way can I do this with baseball. So, I come to you for help.

My team, below, is the best I could scrape together from whoever is left. Yes, I know my team is bad - but I need some help drilling down to individual players. Aside from say Saltalamacchia and Spilborghs, who I'm told are legit prospects, who else shouldn't I drop? Who is expendable? Should I try to trade Bonifacio and Inge who don't seem to be high on some lists for other slower-starting prospects, and if so who?

My current team:

C: Inge (DET C/3B), Laird (DET), Saltalamacchia (Tex)
1B: LaRoche (Pit), Cantu (Fla 1b/3b), Carlos Guillen (Tex 1b/3b)
2B: Bonifacio (Fla), Freddy Sanchez (Pit)
SS: Guzman (Was), Renteria (SF)
3B: Guillen, Cantu, Inge
OF: Spilborghs, Francouer, Xavier Nady, Mike Cameron, Michael Cuddyer, Hideki Matsui, Carlos Gomez, Eric Byrnes

SP: Buehrle, Maine, Saunders, Galaragga, Penny, Galarraga, Jurrjens, Millwood, Duchscherer (SP/RP DL)
RP: Kuo, Wuertz, Villanueva

For reference, here are the best guys available based on % owned and ESPN's Player Rating.
Batters: Randy Winn, Iwamura, Endy Chavez, ####udome, Denard Span, Nick Swisher, Rowand, Marco Scutaro, Jason Varitek, Polanco, Bartlett, Francoeur, Giambi, Lowell, Kotchman, Troy Glaus (DL)

SP: Scott Baker DL15, Carmona, Sonnanstine, Volstad, Guthrie, Pettitte, Arroyo, Franklin Morales, Washburn

RP: Manny Corpas, Arrendondo, Wheeler, Parra, Balfour, Dotel, Miner, Condrrey, Tony Pena, Dennys Reyes, Scott Shields, Aardsma, Dan Wheeler
corpcow
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate my team: Leftovers trying to play spoiler

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:15 pm

So you picked up Francoeur? (He's in both lists.)

Also, it would help if you'd list the positions used and the categories.

Nady, Cuddyer, and Wuertz are the first guys I'd drop. I'd pick up Baker immediately. Most of the hitters are unexciting. Among the starters, besides Baker, everyone except Pettitte is a reasonable pickup. I guess Pettitte, too, people own him in my leagues, but I'm not a believer. Among the relievers, everyone except Miner, Condrey, Pena, Reyes, and Aardsma is a reasonable speculative pickup.

Really, you have lots of guys you can drop. Those I listed are the three I'd drop immediately, but Inge, Laird, Sanchez, Guzman, Matsui, Byrnes, Buehrle, Penny, Duchscherer -- it's unlikely you'd miss any of them too much.

Also look for less owned guys. Kendry Morales, Travis Snider, Elvis Andrus, Fred Lewis. In terms of pitchers, Brett Anderson, Trevor Cahill, Joel Zumaya, Ryan Perry. I'm sure there are lots more. Watch for call-ups, and good luck!
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 64)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:39 pm

welcome to the caf! i think its cool you're picking up this league and moving into the 21st century. you have a big task ahead of you, but it could be a really fun challenge. there are lots of resources available today that can help you -- this cafe being one of the best IMHO. Here are my observations:

Catcher - why three? unless the format says otherwise, i'd go with the bare minimum here. salty will be a nice keeper to build with.
1b- not bad at all - i'd start cantu here
2b- play bonifacio
3b- a bit thin here. lowell might be worth considering if he plays well.
ss- this is your weakest spot. guzman ain't gonna cut it. play renteria -- is elvis andrus on the waivers? nice keeper there...
of- lots of low/med-strength options here. i like cameron, francouer (if he plays well), matsui, gomez, cuddyer, and byrnes.
sp- jurjens, millwood, dutch, saunders, maine, maybe buehrle, galarraga. stay away from penny. some nice options on the waivers there, i'd pounce on baker, pettitte, volstad.
rp- gonna need help here. might have to punt saves for the time being. keep an eye on the waivers for the next closer in waiting. and drop wertz, maybe for corpas (could see saves soon) or arredondo, who has good peripherals.

i think with some patience and waiver scouring you can build yourself a very nice keeper team in no time, especially in a 10 team league. best of luck to you ;-D

for the names below, i've indicated which i like and which i don't and those i could take or leave.

corpcow wrote:
My current team:

C: Inge (DET C/3B), Laird (DET), Saltalamacchia (Tex)
1B: LaRoche (Pit), Cantu (Fla 1b/3b), Carlos Guillen (Tex 1b/3b)
2B: Bonifacio (Fla), Freddy Sanchez (Pit)
SS: Guzman (Was), Renteria (SF)
3B: Guillen, Cantu, Inge ;-D
OF: Spilborghs, Francouer, Xavier Nady, Mike Cameron, Michael Cuddyer, Hideki Matsui, Carlos Gomez, Eric Byrnes

SP: Buehrle, Maine, Saunders, Galaragga, Penny, Galarraga, Jurrjens, Millwood, Duchscherer (SP/RP DL)
RP: Kuo, Wuertz, Villanueva

For reference, here are the best guys available based on % owned and ESPN's Player Rating.
Batters: Randy Winn ;-D , Iwamura :-t , Endy Chavez :-t , ####udome :-t , Denard Span ;-D , Nick Swisher, Rowand, Marco Scutaro :-t , Jason Varitek :-t , Polanco, Bartlett, Francoeur ;-D , Giambi ;-D , Lowell ;-D , Kotchman, Troy Glaus (DL)

SP: Scott Baker DL15 ;-D ;-D , Carmona, Sonnanstine, Volstad ;-D , Guthrie ;-D , Pettitte, Arroyo :-t , Franklin Morales :-t , Washburn :-t

RP: Manny Corpas ;-D , Arrendondo ;-D , Wheeler, Parra :-t , Balfour ;-D , Dotel, Miner, Condrrey, Tony Pena, Dennys Reyes, Scott Shields, Aardsma, Dan Wheeler
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby corpcow » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:43 am

Awesome - thanks guys. I should be clear - this is a "secondary" league, so I'm not concerned about keepers here. (I may join the proper league next year and participate in the auction, but that's separate for now).

I added Lowell (for Guzman), Baker (for Penny), Kendry Morales (for Matsui) and Corpas (for Weurtz).

Inge is eligible at 3b, so I'm starting him, Cantu and Laroche right now. (We have 2b/SS flex, 1b/3b flex, and a utility spot). I could drop Laird and move Ingo there and then Lowell into my starting lineup.

Andrus, Snider and Lewis are all taken. Anderson, Cahill etc are all available.
corpcow
T-Ball Trainer

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:49 am

I'd drop Laird. He's just filler, and you already have two better catchers.

If Ian Stewart were somehow available, I think he'd be a great speculative add for you. Same position eligibility as Bonifacio, but gives you the power instead of the speed (if he can wrestle a regular starting gig). But whoever's available, I think replacing Laird with someone high-upside is a good move.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby corpcow » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:35 pm

jackie hayes wrote:I'd drop Laird. He's just filler, and you already have two better catchers.

If Ian Stewart were somehow available, I think he'd be a great speculative add for you. Same position eligibility as Bonifacio, but gives you the power instead of the speed (if he can wrestle a regular starting gig). But whoever's available, I think replacing Laird with someone high-upside is a good move.

Ian Stewart IS available, and I grabbed him - but his eligibility is 3B not 2B.
corpcow
T-Ball Trainer

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:39 pm

corpcow wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:I'd drop Laird. He's just filler, and you already have two better catchers.

Ian Stewart IS available, and I grabbed him - but his eligibility is 3B not 2B.

Okay -- ESPN league? Anyway, he should get 2b eligibility eventually, since that's where he'll get most of his pt this year (is Bonifacio eligible at 3b yet?). Hopefully he can beat out Barmes for everyday duties. If he were a regular, he'd be a 20-30 hr threat. Hopefully it won't be too long before that happens.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team