A Travis Hafner sighting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

A Travis Hafner sighting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Travis Hafner sighting

Postby LostInTheBoom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:11 pm

He homered at the end of the game yesterday and has already homered, doubled and driven in three in today's game. Any Indians fans out there with some insight into his batting approach thus far? Does he look like he might be back or is he just feasting on some AAA-level pitching?
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A Travis Hafner sighting

Postby jswede » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:23 pm

I'm taking note, but not yet convinced. He was having trouble getting around on high-80mph fastballs in spring training.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby silverZ » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:22 pm

He turned on an up and in 89 MPH pitch today. He still sucks.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby MrRalph13 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:55 am

he is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than he was back in '06. very noticeably smaller. helling said EVERYBODY in the texas org was roiding at one point. im an indians homer and i have ZERO confidence in his current abilities.
MrRalph13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Salty-Dog » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:05 am

he sucks, had him on my fantasy team last year for a little while - that shoulder problem and no more roids has sapped his power...
Salty-Dog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:36 pm

3HRs in 3 straight games. He's lighter than last year, yes. He's said that has a lot to do with rehab from the shoulder, things he couldn't do while it was healing, which led him to other exercises and conditioning that he had not concentrated on in the past.

his bat-speed looks a lot better, he's taking a lot of pitches, which is a good sign. Only concern right now are the Ks. He's always been a 100K guy, but when he's really locked in, he's taking a lot of walks, and going opposite field as well. When I see that, I'll really consider using him in lineups every day.

Now, I can't say whether he was the roids or hgh, it's entirely possible, but to assume he was productive for several years before this injury, because he was loaded on roids isn't very realistic. Especially when stating that everyone in Texas was on 'em, and Hafner spent what, 1 month of his entire career in a Rangers uni?

Could be that he's just a big meathead farmboy from North Dakota and tore his shoulder up after getting a huge contract from the Indians and wanted to play through as much as he could because he didn't want to let the organization down...
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby angels7777 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:39 pm

I dropped Ray to take a flier on him.... don't know if he is for real, but worth finding out at the expense of Ray when you know the upside is 30+ Hr with 100 runs and 100 RBI and a .300 BA - those would be A-Gonz type numbers...
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
OF- J. Uptn, Trout, Polanco
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
RP- Melancon, Smith, Hawkins
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Spectrum » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:03 pm

If he gets 450-500 ABs this year, he's going to go 30/100. I'm not convinced he's going to hit any better than .275, but with the way Victor is hitting and what he's capable of, and with Choo/Peralta in the 5 hole behind Hafner, he's going to get a lot of pitches to hit.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates