Brewers might get 55 wins.

Borowski would be my choice.
Justise
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bost0n » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:03 pm

I'm a little for and against each side, but Kolb would be my choice. I think this because he was 1) phenominal at the end of last season 2) Borowski could easily lose his job to latroy hawkins.
cross your fingers for missouri
bost0n
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:02 pm

Borowski by the length of the straight.

Kolb was great the last 1/3 of the season.

Borowski was great the whole season.

Cubs win 90 games

Brewers win 60 games

Neither closer is in danger of losing their job. No way Hawkins will ever close for the Cubs. Hawkins is a failed closer. He will remain a set up man (and a very good one) for the rest of his career.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:07 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:Neither closer is in danger of losing their job. No way Hawkins will ever close for the Cubs. Hawkins is a failed closer. He will remain a set up man (and a very good one) for the rest of his career.

Never is a very strong word, although I do think that Borowski's job is pretty secure.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:18 pm

Pedantic wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:Neither closer is in danger of losing their job. No way Hawkins will ever close for the Cubs. Hawkins is a failed closer. He will remain a set up man (and a very good one) for the rest of his career.

Never is a very strong word, although I do think that Borowski's job is pretty secure.

I said ever. I should have substantiated that by saying ever close for the Cubs on a permanent basis. He may still get the odd save.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:25 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

I said ever. I should have substantiated that by saying ever close for the Cubs on a permanent basis. He may still get the odd save.

I know you said ever--I was paraphrasing. And unless you can see the future, I don't see how you could say that he won't ever close (and I don't mean close out that odd save).
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby jbuk » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:26 pm

I like Borowski for now, not sure if he'll still have the job in the summer though.
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:38 pm

Pedantic wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

I know you said ever--I was paraphrasing. And unless you can see the future, I don't see how you could say that he won't ever close (and I don't mean close out that odd save).

Have you EVER looked at his record as a closer. Why would you put him back in a role he was clearly poor at when he is one of the best set up men in the majors? He was a very poor Starting Pitcher. He was then converted to a closing role which he stunk at. He has found his niche as an excellent set up man. No way he gets taken out of that role.

If Borowski does lose the closers role this year (and at this point that is very unlikely) Hawkins will not be given the job.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:55 pm

I like Borowski for now, not sure if he'll still have the job in the summer though.

What makes you think he will lose the job by summer? Just a gut feeling? He posted an ERA under 3.00 last year. Performed well under pressure also. He doesn't have the heat, but he has good location with a good backdoor slider.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers