Tommy Hanson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Tommy Hanson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tommy Hanson

Postby vykeengfan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Kind of funny story-
My brother-in-law is a 10th grade history teacher. A couple of years back, this senior walks in to his class who was as big as him(he's not the smallest guy in the world.) Who was the kid? Tommy Hanson. My bro in law picked him up in our fantasy league before any of us had any idea who he was. He said that Hanson "owes him." Not sure what that means hahaha.
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Adventuresofgabe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:24 am

2nd start
Took the loss, still nice line

5.2ip 3h 1er 2bb 7k
Adventuresofgabe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SenorFresco7 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:31 am

I'll take a 1ER loss with 7 ks in fantasy..
SenorFresco7
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby FantasyGuruORNot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:11 am

These minor league players are always so over hyped. This guy is probably going to be no better than what Kershaw or Max Serchezer did last year. You cant expect a guy to come up from the minors and become a elite pitcher in the majors immediately. The only person that I can recall ever doing that is Tim Lincecum now everyone wants to find the next lincecum.
FantasyGuruORNot
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jcde7ago » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:28 am

FantasyGuruORNot wrote:These minor league players are always so over hyped. This guy is probably going to be no better than what Kershaw or Max Serchezer did last year. You cant expect a guy to come up from the minors and become a elite pitcher in the majors immediately. The only person that I can recall ever doing that is Tim Lincecum now everyone wants to find the next lincecum.

This has got to be one of the most ignorant things i've read in a while. Not all minor league pitchers are over-hyped, and the ones that are deserve to be and for a reason. Nobody is expecting Hanson to be completely and utterly dominant when he gets to the majors - it's his incredible skill-set that goes along with his massive potential to be dominant that makes him over-hyped, and rightfully so. Make no mistake about it, his talent is more than worthy enough to play at and contribute in at the major league level. Cole Hamels and Tim Lincecum are arguably the only, truly "over-hyped" pitchers the cafe has seen in the past 5 years and well, look how they turned out.

I'd rather have Tommy Hanson rotting away on my bench than waste that roster space on at least 30+ other pitchers at the back end of major league starting rotations that are pretty much nothing but garbage and used mostly to eat innings. Keep thinking along these lines and you'll miss out on a lot of talent in the years to come. :-°
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheGinner » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:59 am

FantasyGuruORNot wrote:These minor league players are always so over hyped. This guy is probably going to be no better than what Kershaw or Max Serchezer did last year. You cant expect a guy to come up from the minors and become a elite pitcher in the majors immediately. The only person that I can recall ever doing that is Tim Lincecum now everyone wants to find the next lincecum.

Obviously you never heard the hype on Liriano, or Hamels recently either? Lincecum killed AAA when his hype started, and he wins the Cy Young his sophmore year....

+1 on most ignorant thing said this year.
TheGinner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby wildbill » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:57 am

TheGinner wrote:

Obviously you never heard the hype on Liriano, or Hamels recently either? Lincecum killed AAA when his hype started, and he wins the Cy Young his sophmore year....

In fairness Hamels had a rough couple months during his first major league season before he adjusted. But you can add Gallardo to the list of recent pitchers that mostly lived up to the hype the season he got called up. I'd say more pitchers and batters don't live up to the hype their first season, but there are some that do.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SenorFresco7 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:31 pm

Obviously most prospects don't "live up to the hype" simply do to the fact that mashing 30 HRs in AAA translates to about 18-20 in MLB, or 200 K's in AAA is only 150 K's in MLB for these young players. The amazing thing is not how these players come into the Majors and immediately win MVPs/Cy Youngs, because that rarely happens, and most hype does not even predict such things as this. The amazing thing is how young studs, such as the 23 year old Tommy Hanson, come outta no where from the Riverside Community College, get drafted in the 22nd round, and have some of the filthiest stuff in the minors, eventually being predicted as the future ace of an organization. That's crazy. ;-D
SenorFresco7
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fbc_fan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:38 pm

wildbill wrote:
TheGinner wrote:

In fairness Hamels had a rough couple months during his first major league season before he adjusted. But you can add Gallardo to the list of recent pitchers that mostly lived up to the hype the season he got called up. I'd say more pitchers and batters don't live up to the hype their first season, but there are some that do.

king felix was pretty hyped on the cafe if i remember correctly, and he flat out dominated when he was called up. since then, not so much. still was a pretty sweet ride for owners who knew about him that june/july.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Adventuresofgabe » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:19 pm

1-2 more starts like this from Jo-Jo and Hanson could be up next

5ip 7H 5ER 3BB 4K
Adventuresofgabe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor