Angels SP Nick Adenhart Dead at 22 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Angels SP Nick Adenhart Dead at 22

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Angels SP Nick Adenhart Dead at 22

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:58 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:This is something that I hate to talk about, and before I do I will preface it by saying that I have done some stupid things in my life, and apologize everyday for them, as well as thank God everyday that nothing serious resulted from my previous actions.
I have three DUIs in my still relatively short life. All occurance resulted in accidents, though luckily ALL have been one car accidents, my own. I do know now that each time I sat behind the wheel drunk, I endangered every life that was on the road. One positive, on top of never injuring anyone, is that I never drove with a suspended liscense. My liscense is gone for 10 years as we speak (7 more to go), and I have not drove at all, not even just to park a car.
These incidents were incredibly stupid on my part. Me and my wife pray ALL of the time in thanks for never injuring/killing anybody. Because of these incidents, I have become pretty religious. I actually 'teach' a alcoholics meeting at the church that I attend.

I am deeply saddened for all involved in this situation, and any and every similiar to it. You all can bash me if you want, as it is the easy way out during/after a tragedy. To even tell this in a forum like this has taken quite a bit of heart on my part. I hate to say it, but things happen for a reason. God has a plan for all the people involved and not involved in this situation. If we do not grow and become better people for it, then we have failed. I know that I will not fail because of what I have gone through.

I have and will continue to pray for all those involved. My best wishes to those.

RIP

Andy

It takes a big man to admit mistakes. It takes an even bigger man to correct them. I despise DaShiz who chose to endanger lives by driving drunk, but have an awful lot of respect for DaShiz who could potentially be saving lives by telling others just how stupid DaShiz used to be.

Driving drunk is one of the most senseless and selfish acts that I can think of. :-t
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:27 am

djack909 wrote:In my mother's home country Finland, for 50 yrs the penalty for first offense DUI is suspension for 5 yrs and surrender of your vehicle to the state. That make sense to me.

wow i've never thought of that, but taking away the car seems like an awesome idea.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Mighty Trow » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:56 am

i just picked up my Shandler to dust up on these minor leaguers who are starting hot, and Nick was the first one my eyes went to (it was an alphabetical list...). This so sucks. :-/
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:29 am

DaShiz23 wrote:This is something that I hate to talk about, and before I do I will preface it by saying that I have done some stupid things in my life, and apologize everyday for them, as well as thank God everyday that nothing serious resulted from my previous actions.
I have three DUIs in my still relatively short life. All occurance resulted in accidents, though luckily ALL have been one car accidents, my own. I do know now that each time I sat behind the wheel drunk, I endangered every life that was on the road. One positive, on top of never injuring anyone, is that I never drove with a suspended liscense. My liscense is gone for 10 years as we speak (7 more to go), and I have not drove at all, not even just to park a car.
These incidents were incredibly stupid on my part. Me and my wife pray ALL of the time in thanks for never injuring/killing anybody. Because of these incidents, I have become pretty religious. I actually 'teach' a alcoholics meeting at the church that I attend.

I am deeply saddened for all involved in this situation, and any and every similiar to it. You all can bash me if you want, as it is the easy way out during/after a tragedy. To even tell this in a forum like this has taken quite a bit of heart on my part. I hate to say it, but things happen for a reason. God has a plan for all the people involved and not involved in this situation. If we do not grow and become better people for it, then we have failed. I know that I will not fail because of what I have gone through.

I have and will continue to pray for all those involved. My best wishes to those.

RIP

Andy

I can imagine Adenhart hitting really close to home there. I'd be lying (and I'm sure many others would be, as well) if I said I never drove under the influence. A tragedy like this really makes me think how stupid I've been, despite the fact that I've never been busted.

While it's horrible that it often takes something this tragic to make people think next time they have a few too many, I really hope some good can come out of it. I encourage everyone to remember Nick Adenhart next time they get behind the wheel after drinking. I know I will...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby CadensDad » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:21 pm

Irish wrote:Yikes....

With all the people I know who drove drunk during college (and still do) it kind of hits home....

Murder though? Doesn't that mean it's pre-meditated? I presume it wouldn't have been murder but rather manslaughter if he had not left the scene?

No I think he gets exactly what he deserves.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Old_Style » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:39 pm

djack909 wrote:In my mother's home country Finland, for 50 yrs the penalty for first offense DUI is suspension for 5 yrs and surrender of your vehicle to the state. That make sense to me.

I was listening to Bob Valvano's radio show last night and he was talking about the time he spent in Sweden while coaching basketball. I liked his analogy about how the people over there thought about drunk driving. He compared drunk driving to being in heavy traffic and just pulling off of the road and driving on the sidewalk. It's just something you don't do or even think about over there.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:42 pm

Half Massed wrote:The guy who did it is being charged with triple homicide.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkINm3VT9.KLIQ_TevdTcls5nYcB?slug=ap-angels-pitcherkilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dear Future Judge of this case,

Can you please send this guy to a prison full of rabid Angels fans who will give him what he deserves?

Cheers

Your pal,

AussieDodger. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers