C. Pavano 1.0 6 9 9 3 1 2 81.00

:-b
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Carl Pavano Thread

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Hey, at least he made it through an inning without getting injured. Next start he can try for two!
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm betting that he reveals an injury of some sort before his next start.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Noggy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:38 pm

Yoda wrote:I'm betting that he reveals an injury of some sort before his next start.

I hope not. He needs to stay healthy until the Indians play in New York next week.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:42 pm

Noggy wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'm betting that he reveals an injury of some sort before his next start.

I hope not. He needs to stay healthy until the Indians play in New York next week.

Oh man... I haven't seen a grown man cry in a while...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Who?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:34 am

hybrid wrote:Well that's great to hear he feels the best he has in a while, cause um he hasn't pitched any meaningful innings since 2005. :-S

Really this is a guy who has only had an era under 4.21 once, only had a whip under 1.26 once, and in his only good year to speak of, K's just 139. If you look up mediocre in the dictionary there should be a picture of him next to it. The only reason why people will remember him at all is because of how terrible the Yankees were to throw him a big contract like that did.

In some fairness to the Yankees, it's a little too easy to judge this contract in hindsight. Pavano had just pitched back-back 200 inning seasons. His FIP in 2003 was 3.77 and he lowered it to 3.55 in 2004 (Clearly his best year). If Pavano turned into a 180 inning guy who put up a low to mid 4's ERA in Yankee stadium, then you'd certainly have some issues arguing how bad this contract was.

Even if you thought the Pavano contract was bad from the get go, it would of been hard to forsee what happened to Pavano ( 145 IP in 4 years).
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Polar Bear » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:20 am

You know...I wonder if I could go out to the mound and throw underhand and have a lower ERA in the first inning than Pavano...

First series of the season and boy do those Texas hitters look really good...if that team can just find some pitching down the stretch...yikes!

but this topic is about Pavano...Pavano sucks...I think the Indians will give him a month and then go to Anthony Reyes, who in my opinion should have been the 3rd starter anyways.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CharlatanSin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:33 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
hybrid wrote:Well that's great to hear he feels the best he has in a while, cause um he hasn't pitched any meaningful innings since 2005. :-S

Really this is a guy who has only had an era under 4.21 once, only had a whip under 1.26 once, and in his only good year to speak of, K's just 139. If you look up mediocre in the dictionary there should be a picture of him next to it. The only reason why people will remember him at all is because of how terrible the Yankees were to throw him a big contract like that did.

In some fairness to the Yankees, it's a little too easy to judge this contract in hindsight. Pavano had just pitched back-back 200 inning seasons. His FIP in 2003 was 3.77 and he lowered it to 3.55 in 2004 (Clearly his best year). If Pavano turned into a 180 inning guy who put up a low to mid 4's ERA in Yankee stadium, then you'd certainly have some issues arguing how bad this contract was.

Even if you thought the Pavano contract was bad from the get go, it would of been hard to forsee what happened to Pavano ( 145 IP in 4 years).

Lots of us in Yankeeland hated the contract from the get-go. Sure, the injuries were unforeseeable, but he was never a great pitcher. He pitched like a stud in his walk year, and the move was, as I recall, mainly one of those dumb "let's sign him before Boston does" things.

Then there was his conduct when he was injured. Plain and simple, he didn't care. All of his teammates hated him. Injuries happen, but when they do, you work hard and come back as soon and as strong as possible to help your team. That never seemed to be a consideration for Carl.

Oh well. What's done is done. As pertains to Pavano, I'm a well-wisher, in that I don't wish him any specific harm.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:43 pm

RAmst23 wrote:

1999 - 109IP
2000 - 97IP
2001 - 83IP
2002 - 155IP

I think a lot of people disliked the contract, I know I did. As you can see he was always injury prone, but managed to stay healthy for 2 years and pitch well in one of them to get that contract. Hard to see he would of been that bad and barely ever pitch? Well sure, but not hard to see he wasn't worth the money he got.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers